FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How far are you willing to fly in economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1728112-how-far-you-willing-fly-economy.html)

BA Humbug Dec 1, 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25795890)
I'll be 60 next year and I'm not far off being as fit now as I was 40 years ago.
Of late I haven't had to fly long haul in economy and shall continue avoiding it. However if I wanted to get somewhere bad enough then economy long haul would not be a torture and short haul would be a dawdle.

When I see people getting all melodramatic about having to fly economy I tend to think spoilt child. At the end of the day no-one is forcing you to do it unless you really are a child. :D

I think (not saying it's true for a lot of people) but for a majority of the people it's the show-off factor. The younger you are, the more "success" it exudes if you're at the pointy end. The other reasons ("I'm built like a linebacker", "I can't sleep", etc.) are accessories since a lot of the time I don't see many of them working or sleeping anyways.

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25795916)
The under 40 brigade. They need to man up.

It's funny, my dad complains about economy, he says that today's WTP/Y+ is the equivalent of what Y was 25 years ago... :D (and just to make it explicit, he is not part of the under 40 brigade.)

Originally Posted by Fleck (Post 25796180)
Agreed, grow a pair.

Wouldn't that make it harder to squish everything in the WT seat? :D

sebastiansw3 Dec 1, 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 25794682)
The OP is clearly young enough to cope with l/h in Y :D

Being young doesn't mean you can cope with Y! I used to fly J back to boarding school from HKG in the 90s as an UM. These days my godson (aged fourteen) would complain if he wasn't in F!

T8191 Dec 1, 2015 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sebastiansw3 (Post 25796237)
Being young doesn't mean you can cope with Y! I used to fly J back to boarding school from HKG in the 90s as an UM. These days my godson (aged fourteen) would complain if he wasn't in F!

Coping with Y is not mandatory [in some cases] :D

Doc Savage Dec 1, 2015 10:28 am

FT needs a bigger rolleyes smilie.

Ivanerr Dec 1, 2015 10:31 am

Awww, that's nice! :D

exs2 Dec 1, 2015 10:33 am

About 6-8 hours if it is day flight with personal AVOD and or friends. Zero if it is night flight.

GadgetGal Dec 1, 2015 10:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25795916)
The under 40 brigade. They need to man up.

Originally Posted by Fleck (Post 25796180)
Agreed, grow a pair.

generalise, much?? :rolleyes:

World Traveller Fuss Dec 1, 2015 10:53 am

The responses to this thread have been fascinating!

I work in marketing, so perhaps there's an opportunity here to position CW as what it's really purchased for. Some combination of these factors:
  • 40+
  • Injured in some way
  • Flying overnight and fancy some kip

... perhaps the ads should just be the cast of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sleeping soundly to Sydney?

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/345492/ba-cw-personas.png

Fleck Dec 1, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mattking2000 (Post 25796232)

Wouldn't that make it harder to squish everything in the WT seat? :D

Point ceded. ;)

smokie36 Dec 1, 2015 11:51 am

As I qualify for HIDDY's over 40 rule I say two hours max in Y....anything above that deserves champagne.

Sixth Freedom Dec 1, 2015 11:58 am

I will fly anywhere in the world in Y if there is a good enough reason to.

tim0409 Dec 1, 2015 11:58 am

Since joining FT I now arrange my holidays around when I can get CW flights at a decent price (ex-eu), although I recently had to travel to Rwanda from EDI (via AMS) in economy for work and it reminded why I hate it so much on a long flight (I suffer from a bad back which makes it even more uncomfortable). The pain was eased by a large glass of wine and a diazepam which meant I slept for 5 hours though!

LadyB Dec 1, 2015 12:03 pm

We flew BA economy a couple of years ago to PMI, it wasn't all that bad & would happily do it again. We had a decent breakfast & nice crew. We also flew Y on EK in May and it was ok, that was part of a package so not much chance of upgrading.

Even though I'm only 5' tall, I would prefer not to fly Y but wouldn't turn down a trip to somewhere I wanted to go if only Y was affordable. We self fund all our travel so cost is a consideration too.

That said, our long haul flights - 8 hours plus - over the last 5 years have been in J, generally we buy WT+ & use Avios to upgrade. Our next trip is on QR to SYD but we've got BA flights to ARN in CE (positioning flight) because we need the baggage allowance as we are flying business on QR.

TabTraveller Dec 1, 2015 12:12 pm

Do PJs come with a Y cabin? Or does it all just count as Y? ;)

Nimrod1965 Dec 1, 2015 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 25792742)
Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies

Agreed, over 50 year old here, I'll go anywhere in economy although I have done business class a few times when work paid for it. Economy is okay, ever done 13 hours in the back of a C130 Hercules? I have and that's really uncomfortable travelling. 10 hours in a C141 or a Nimrod is slightly better but economy in a 747 or similar passenger jet is sheer luxury.