Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Terrible Premium BA reward availability (rant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Premium BA reward availability (rant)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by sebanto2001
Never had problem on finding redemptions, the key is to be flexible and not centered on only one destination.

If you want to go to a fixed destination at a fixed date, just buy a normal ticket and don't gamble on redemptions.
Best advice I've ever read on the redemption game.

Having narrow and fixed ideas inevitably leads to disappointment.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
GGL's have many benefits already. On this basis why do GGLs deserve better availability than those of us who are too wise to be seduced into "loyalty" with a business?
Because that's the deal I make with BA.

I specifically choose to fly with them because I know I can effectively have my pick of redemptions twice a year as a result. Florida at Easter in CW for 4? No problem.

What do BA get out of it? My a*se in a CW revenue seat for the majority of my long haul travel each year.

Plus not every Avios earned is equal; you only need to look at the US Chase sign up bonuses vs the UK Amex ones to see that.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
[QUOTE=Raffles;25562229
And this is just one days availability from Dubai, at super-peak season given the weather is ideal at Easter.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but its Dubai. If i want chavvy bling, I'll go to Blackpool

Do BA fly to Blackpool?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Yes, but its Dubai. If i want chavvy bling, I'll go to Blackpool
But if you're looking for a place to be able to take your kids camel riding and dune surfing without becoming IS target practice, it's a decent shout at the moment.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold,VS Gold,Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=Raffles;25562229]For those who think life is terrible, this is what is available out of Dubai on Monday 4th April next year, ie the Monday after Easter Monday assuming you go for a week over Easter:

Try and get anywhere in North America,Caribbean most of South America and Asia and you wont get far!
I just wish that B.A would make it very clear that they would sell seats rather than release them.
I have no problem with this at all however with all the advertising,emails telling me how far i can go itsmisleading to say the least.
Availability IS getting worse.I try and book avios if none available i pay cash,no biggie nonetheless its not the way B.A would have you think.hence all the posts moaning about it
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by dandare

Try and get anywhere in North America,Caribbean most of South America and Asia and you wont get far!
I just wish that B.A would make it very clear that they would sell seats rather than release them.

I have no problem with this at all however with all the advertising,emails telling me how far i can go its misleading to say the least.
I've managed to redeem a few times to those places in premium cabins. It takes planning and flexibility, but then you play the game.

You could always pay money for a ticket if there's no availability...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
Best advice I've ever read on the redemption game.

Having narrow and fixed ideas inevitably leads to disappointment.
So rather than taking my holiday in my choice of location, I should just leave it to BA to dictate my destination through Avios availability ? I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it for me.

And, when people refer to plentiful availability are they talking about economy seats or business/first ones ?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: United 1K
I was able to book one F reward from LHR to SFO with during August with no problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bafan
So rather than taking my holiday in my choice of location, I should just leave it to BA to dictate my destination through Avios availability ? I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it for me.
You can do that or, as a Gold, pay double Avios and fly wherever you want whenever you want.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Where did BA ever promise you would have reward availability to the location of your choice? I think if you thought this was a given of BAEC you are mistaken. Clearly some popular destinations (i.e. those mentioned in post 1) are very hard to get.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.

And, when people refer to plentiful availability are they talking about economy seats or business/first ones ?
Economy seats for RFS in Europe (there really isn't any point in going for Club when you have a silver/gold card anyway)

CW (or First) long haul. And yes, I've done Caribbean, North America and South America as well, both on BA and other airlines. Only once had I had to resort to a double Avios booking for a European trip.

And choosing a holiday destination for me is a compromise between many things: attractiveness, distance, costs, ease of getting there etc. Oh, and what Mrs BBA wants

So redemption availability is part of it. It doesn't dictate the choice, but influences it. And if we really want to go somewhere where there is no availability, we'll pay. And use the Avios on the next opportunity.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Fair enough. And without wishing to make this personal - it would appear that the OP is BA Blue. That means he either spends little time or little money with BA. He's also been a member of FT since 2004 - enough time to figure out availability so the destinations he mentions is very limited, and adjust his expectations when deciding to collect Avios.

You can't fault BA for making seats available for GGLs but not for Blues.
Yes, understood, but how does that explain why BA will allow F seats to depart empty instead of allowing Avios bookings? Most world carriers do hoard F seats, but they do let them go shortly before departure rather than allow them the seats to go empty. This makes no sense to me.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
That is a different issue. I am no expert on BA or any other airline's F inventory policies, but I guess that if there were F seats available on many (all) flights, they would fill up with people buying club, and using Avios to upgrade. I guess BA only needs to sell a few F seats to make the cabin profitable, and does not need the incremental Avios revenue from redemptions. Also not having the cabin absolutely full every flight probably adds to its cachet.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Well its fine to not let ba availability dictate your destination but then dont expect there to be availability!

I think you have to realise as most people here do that you need reasonable expectations. Expecting to for example get 6 seats in first in the easter holidays to a destination that is hot is realistically going to probably never happen!

Again as others have said:flexibility

If you have set dates for 1-2 destinations then avios probably isnt for you or you will have to search constantly and book any availability 355 days out!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
Yes, understood, but how does that explain why BA will allow F seats to depart empty instead of allowing Avios bookings? Most world carriers do hoard F seats, but they do let them go shortly before departure rather than allow them the seats to go empty. This makes no sense to me.
Because if people though they could simply turn up to the airport last minute and get F redemtions A) imagine the queue of people fighting to this and B) if people thought they could this they would be unlikely to buy F tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.