Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged Luggage on BA Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm sorry that what prompted you to post here was a rather negative experience. Nevertheless I hope you enjoy participating in the forum.

Now, onto something I hope may be of use to you:

Amazon.co.uk has some Samsonite suitcases at around £110 mark. It's probably worth a look.

Depending on the damage, K2 Global* (they have an authorised Samsonite repair facility in Maidenhead) may be able to fix it.
Their contact details are: http://www.k2global.co.uk/how-to-arrange-a-repair.asp

They do warranty repair for Samsonite in the UK as well as for various other manufacturers, but I'm sure they can do non-warranty repair work as well.

I had them repair my Samsonite under warranty and they kindly did it on the spot while I waited. I wasn't expecting that, so I was rather pleased!
K2 do all the UK lifetime warranty repairs for Briggs and Riley as well. I've never (touch wood) had to get them to repair anything yet but my cases have normally survived the hold of a BA/9K/UL unscathed. Nice to know you had a good experience with them.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
<shrugs> I know that having luggage damaged can piss us off...

...I try and keep in mind that luggage is a consumable, though. Like tires on a car. Getting worn out is their function in life.

All the best, James
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fdog
<shrugs> I know that having luggage damaged can piss us off...

...I try and keep in mind that luggage is a consumable, though. Like tires on a car. Getting worn out is their function in life.
That's my way of thinking as well.
We're still using some bags we bought 15 years ago and they weren't expensive either. I know we don't travel a lot but they have been on over 100 flights many of them connecting where most of the problems seem to occur. Some are a bit tatty looking now but that's not a problem for us. Funnily enough the only real damage caused was when flying TG and it was to a case BA had given us without us asking. I didn't bother complaining to TG.
When in Vancouver we visited Costco for some male syrup and the wife spotted some Delsey luggage. Despite me being suspicious about their durability due to their very cheap price we bought a couple of them. I've been very impressed with them so far.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of which relates back to OP's situation. He's got a 3-year old case which he estimates at GBP 200 today. He's being offered a pretty good fair market value, especially as not reported at the airport.

Many carriers are really good about replacements and have common models available on the spot. If you can be a bit flexible, you may do a good deal better with your replacement and certainly save a good deal of time & effort as you are made whole before you leave the airport.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I didn't bother complaining to TG.
When in Vancouver we visited Costco for some male syrup and the wife spotted some Delsey luggage. r.
Funniest typo I've seen in some time. Which male provided his syrup?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by londonbus
Funniest typo I've seen in some time. Which male provided his syrup?

Yes well spotted. Should have been mable syrup.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Yes well spotted. Should have been mable syrup.
Or perhaps maple?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by z42c6v75
BA have damaged my Samsonite suitcase on a return flight to the UK which was originally worth about £200 (guessing, as was a present) & about 3 years old and don't have receipt, I have put in a claim but because I can't supply a receipt they will only give me a value of £109 towards a new suitcase, I cannot buy a similar suitcase for what they are offering I've even looked at Antler & Delsey, so I'm not sure where to go now.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
£109 is a fair price on a three year old suitcase. Try Koffer Direkt or Koffer24, they do Samsonite at much cheaper prices, for example, the SCure 20" at Koffer24 is €161.10 which according to google is £111.82, and they regularly have coupons and sales.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:17 pm

I honestly think that 109 GBP is really fair. Most if not all US airlines on domestic flights will give you absolutely zero compensation for damaged luggage, just stating that it's not their policy to do so. It's a three year old suitcase. Stuff like this happens. Hey, look on the bright side - they could have destroyed your $6000 bike like this guy and given you zero: http://nsmb.com/air-canada-destroys-bike/
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For domestic travel , as per http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...magedbags.html , US airways does not accept liability for Damage to wheels, feet, zippers, extending handles

For international travel ( which is also most of BA's routes ) the Montreal Convention does not allow the airline such a get out and so is liable

I suspect that if BA is only so "decent" due to the fact that it has to be , not due to some benevolence
^

To be fair BA "could" take the US line and simply lie about it, in the hopes you'll go away and not bother to sue them.

So there's that ...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:59 am
nsr

BA just destroyed my suitcase... was beyond repair and had to throw it away mid trip. I submitted a claim but now they want a receipt. Do they really expect people to keep receipts for more than 1 year? It wasn't a fancy suite case and I asked a reasonable value on it (that will probably won't cover the cost of a new one). I do hope this is resolved soon.
They are at least much more responsive than U.S carriers.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I expect you are already using the online system for your complain...have a read of the Montreal Convention and then mention something appropriate in the next piece of communication. That's what it took for me to get my suitcase repaired without a receipt.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:48 am
nsr

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I expect you are already using the online system for your complain...have a read of the Montreal Convention and then mention something appropriate in the next piece of communication. That's what it took for me to get my suitcase repaired without a receipt.
Followed your advice and got a response from BA that they will cover half of the value. Not bad, I think it's a fair value. Thanks! ^^
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Probably a good result!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.