Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galley Talk...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I find it interesting that so many cabin crew [and on so many airlines] feel it acceptable to talk about personal matters within earshot of customers. I'm confident that all of them will have been told during training that it is unprofessional.

For me, the worst times have probably been when I can't escape from it. I have in mind the instances I have been in the window seat on the upper deck [you know, the K seat near the emergency exit on the right hand side and facing the crew seats - perhaps it's the same on the A side] and the times I thought "I really don't want to hear this", especially during descent when it is relatively quiet compared with take-off. Not good.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not the first time this has happened the past few days. Some more public than others. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33253979
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

2 straight male FA's on one flight!!!

Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I endeavor to learn one new thing every day... unfortunately my side trip to www.urbandictionary.com has left me wanting to unlearn today's new thing...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:50 pm

I just can't believe it!

Do I live a particularly sheltered life? (Dictionary rather than the OP's comments.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Was flying to Heathrow yesterday. Upon reaching the gate we waited a wee while for disembarkation.

During this time, the CSD and his colleague lamented how they had a "space rocket" working with them from the route they had performed a few days previous and that she was "a nightmare to work with" ... They then continued... "thank god it was an all male crew today, at least they get things done without talking about the latest celeb gossip or working on their nails".

I looked at my OH who was, quite frankly, disgusted by the sexist attitude being shown. When the CSD turned around and saw her with a surprised look on her face, he commented, "oh dear, should have looked first before I opened my mouth".

Words fail me.

Oh, and it gets better. During the cabin service, the same two guys were telling each other to "check out 5D". Funnily enough 5D was a blonde female.

Have to say - wasn't the best flight. And the fact these were two very seasoned colleagues in the cabin I was rather shocked. I've flown with them before.
Move on, folks. There's nothing to see here.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by paul4040
"Space rocket" is Scottish and Ulster slang for a crazy person.

Still, not very nice at all and very unprofessional.
I wish you had posted that much earlier before I and others looked up other meanings.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Galley Talk...

Well, we've all learned something new from this at least!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I endeavor to learn one new thing every day... unfortunately my side trip to www.urbandictionary.com has left me wanting to unlearn today's new thing...
Well that's just put me off my yoghurt breakfast, although at least it's not frozen yoghurt
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Aye, that is, a, uh, new one on me. As a glaswegian i use 'rocket' a lot, often pronounced row-kit (ya pure mental rocket....for instace); but that's just...eh....naw, seriously, naw.

Anyway, thae two gie me the boak, report the bampots.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:59 am

(...)at least they get things done without talking about the latest celeb gossip or working on their nails".
The CSD was kind enough to give us a true insight of things aboard. I always appreciate insiders info. This was a first-hand explanation why some FAs disappear on some flights .
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Crikey. Bear TMI

And totally unprofessional. Though I suppose a plane's a bit small to find somewhere to discuss your customers out of their hearing.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Seat64A
I find it interesting that so many cabin crew [and on so many airlines] feel it acceptable to talk about personal matters within earshot of customers. I'm confident that all of them will have been told during training that it is unprofessional..
I take the gossip any day over the usual announcements. From the boring how-fasten-a-seat-belt to the unbearable duty-free announcement, I'd much rather hear where the attractive females are located or which working colleague was slow.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weero
I take the gossip any day over the usual announcements. From the boring how-fasten-a-seat-belt to the unbearable duty-free announcement, I'd much rather hear where the attractive females are located or which working colleague was slow.
^

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's what they gab about.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50K
Was flying to Heathrow yesterday. Upon reaching the gate we waited a wee while for disembarkation.

During this time, the CSD and his colleague lamented how they had a "space rocket" working with them from the route they had performed a few days previous and that she was "a nightmare to work with" ... They then continued... "thank god it was an all male crew today, at least they get things done without talking about the latest celeb gossip or working on their nails".

I looked at my OH who was, quite frankly, disgusted by the sexist attitude being shown. When the CSD turned around and saw her with a surprised look on her face, he commented, "oh dear, should have looked first before I opened my mouth".

Words fail me.

Oh, and it gets better. During the cabin service, the same two guys were telling each other to "check out 5D". Funnily enough 5D was a blonde female.

Have to say - wasn't the best flight. And the fact these were two very seasoned colleagues in the cabin I was rather shocked. I've flown with them before.
Looks like they need to get past their ignorant comments as you do with your preconceived idea of male flight attendants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.