Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA lounge re-opened in Rome FCO? [re-opened 01 March 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA, EK Silver,

After the fire in T3, FCO, I read that the business lounge is closed. Any chance it may re-open in the next 2 weeks, if not are BA making any alternative arrangements?
Old May 22, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
No lounge...

Passed through FCO this am and still no lounge , nor indeed vouchers !
Old May 25, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: Executive Club, Etihad Guest
Has BA lounge re-opened in Rome FCO?

Hi, I'm flying back from Rome in Club next tuesday, and the BA website does not have any recent updates re: the lounge situation following the fire in T3 at Fiumicino... has anyone been in the last few days?

Am I entitled to any kind of compensation if lounge and fast track facilities are not available?

Thank you.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerguyUK
Hi, I'm flying back from Rome in Club next tuesday, and the BA website does not have any recent updates re: the lounge situation following the fire in T3 at Fiumicino... has anyone been in the last few days?
Arrived at FCO yesterday, so no direct knowledge of the lounge: but the burnt half of the terminal was definitely still shut up, so it didn't look good.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyerguyUK
Am I entitled to any kind of compensation if lounge and fast track facilities are not available?
Welcome to Flyertalk flyerguyUK, welcome to the BA forum in particular. Thank you for joining up with us here, and I hope we will see plenty more of you.

As far as I am aware, there is no compensation due in this situation, there are quite a number of airports with the CE product and no Fast Track or lounge, indeed several of them in Italy.

If you bought your ticket before the fire, then you could ask for a customer service remedy on the basis that you didn't get what you thought you paid for, however I think BA could reasonably play the force majeure card in this situation.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: Executive Club, Etihad Guest
Thank you guys.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
As of today, lounge is still shut and no alternatives offered.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
If anyone bought a CE ticket before the fire, I think they'd be very correct in making a complaint for some kind of compensation (maybe only Avios) for the fact they wouldn't be getting the lounge access they've effectively paid for and that BA are not now having to pay to operate, albeit out of their control.

The flights to locations with no lounges should in theory be cheaper to reflect this fact, in the same way flights from LGW are cheaper than LHR as it's a cheaper airport to operate from.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Foltan
If anyone bought a CE ticket before the fire, I think they'd be very correct in making a complaint for some kind of compensation (maybe only Avios) for the fact they wouldn't be getting the lounge access they've effectively paid for and that BA are not now having to pay to operate, albeit out of their control.

The flights to locations with no lounges should in theory be cheaper to reflect this fact, in the same way flights from LGW are cheaper than LHR as it's a cheaper airport to operate from.
I think BA would be within their rights to claim force majeure in this situation, and any claim would be frivolous. There was a fire... I think that's a reasonable excuse not to have a lounge facility available.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:46 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

Honestly, I think I'd pay more to not have to go to the FCO lounge.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
I think BA would be within their rights to claim force majeure in this situation, and any claim would be frivolous. There was a fire... I think that's a reasonable excuse not to have a lounge facility available.
Of course if the lounge is unavailable due to fire, BA can't offer it. But they can certainly offer a remedial option such as extra refreshments at the gate for eligible customers, or vouchers. As Foltan pointed out, BA no longer have to pay to operate the lounge, so it would seem to be saving them money.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:01 am

Any estimate of when the lounge (or more generally, terminal) will re-open at FCO? Passing through in CE in August.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Eeek. I didn't know about the fire, and neither did the BA phone staff either. I phoned to ask what the lounge arrangements are and they just said "T3 airside" essentially quoting from the website. (Which is a useless description coinsidering it might mean pre or post schengen area).

I got passed around and put on hold and then they just told me "sorry, we have no arrangements with other lounges. All I can do is apologise".

To make it worse: our flight is delayed by over an hour and I'm running out of batteries and euros.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

Yes it's revolting, dated and unwelcoming. Hardly any food: and it had flies all round it when I visited lat least year. Flat tonic water in 2lt bottles and hardly any selection. I left and went and bought a proper sandwich. Was not impressed and glad it's gone. Munich isn't brilliant, but a darn sight better than FCO ever was.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Kgmm77

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Yes it's revolting, dated and unwelcoming. Hardly any food: and it had flies all round it when I visited lat least year. Flat tonic water in 2lt bottles and hardly any selection. I left and went and bought a proper sandwich. Was not impressed and glad it's gone. Munich isn't brilliant, but a darn sight better than FCO ever was.
It was very disappointing on every level. I was there last July - lacks everything. Hopefully, the new lounge will provide better facilities. The fire done us all a favour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.