Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Book X to Y in Business then fuel stop then Y to Z in Economy possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle

Is there some rule against being booked in Economy and Business on a flight with the same flight number even though it makes a fuel stop? Searching for X>Z only shows Y availability but X>Y has J and then I'm happy to go Y>Z in Y. This is for a reward booking on a partner airline via BA.com.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not aware of this being an issue. For example people going to SYD on BA15 often go in different cabins, swapping at SIN, and that's possible with both revenue and redemption tickets. You could be more specific about the sector just in case there is a cabotage (etc) issue.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by s1362083
Is there some rule against being booked in Economy and Business on a flight with the same flight number even though it makes a fuel stop? Searching for X>Z only shows Y availability but X>Y has J and then I'm happy to go Y>Z in Y. This is for a reward booking on a partner airline via BA.com.
It would help if you were not using Y as both a place and a cabin!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not aware of this being an issue. For example people going to SYD on BA15 often go in different cabins, swapping at SIN, and that's possible with both revenue and redemption tickets. You could be more specific about the sector just in case there is a cabotage (etc) issue.
Presumably no issue at SIN as the stopover time exceeds the MCT and it's issued as two tickets. The problem will be if the stopover time is under the MCT...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I wasn't more specific because I figured as a question it is valid more generally anyway, but my flight of interest is LA800 from SYD-AKl-SCL. OK on MCT front so hopefully this should be OK. I was told otherwise over the phone by BA but perhaps I just need to speak to a different agent.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In the past, I have encountered a rule against ticketing for sector 1 A-B "connecting" to sector 2 B-C where it's the same flight and the same cabin in both sectors. At the time, the way around that was to book one of the sectors on the codeshare flight number. (This was during the time of the BA/QF JSA.)

I don't know whether the rule prevents you doing the two sectors in different cabins, but what c-w-s says suggests that this is different and permissible.

Note that if you can book A-B (SCL-AKL in your case) and B-C (AKL-SYD) separately, it's not merely a fuel/technical stop at AKL but a full commercial stop.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
How is this different from having AMS-LHR in Y and LHR-NYC in J on one PNR? Had that many times...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by s1362083
I wasn't more specific because I figured as a question it is valid more generally anyway, but my flight of interest is LA800 from SYD-AKl-SCL. OK on MCT front so hopefully this should be OK. I was told otherwise over the phone by BA but perhaps I just need to speak to a different agent.
Unless it's an availability issue, why would you do this on that route? It only saves you 5,000 avios by sitting in Y for SYD-AKL.

EDIT: Just noticed my calculations were wrong anyway haha, so it's a lot more than that.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:39 am

Op does say it's an availability issue.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
Unless it's an availability issue, why would you do this on that route? It only saves you 5,000 avios by sitting in Y for SYD-AKL.
Re post 1 - It is an availability issue. SCL-SYD only shows Y availability but SCL-AKL shows J.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:41 am

I missed that bit, also my calculations were wrong anyway so the saving is much more significant! Disregard all my morning ramblings!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Aside from the ticketing issue, do through passengers get off the aircraft or stay on? If you would otherwise stay on, is there time for what is effectively a back to back? I use the Caribbean routes a fair bit and I don't think you would have time to get off at UVF and get back on to continue to POS for example, as you would need to go through immigration and security (even with hand luggage only). If you stay on board, you would presumably be a no show, as you didn't go through the gate?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Note that if you can book A-B (SCL-AKL in your case) and B-C (AKL-SYD) separately, it's not merely a fuel/technical stop at AKL but a full commercial stop.
B-C (AKL-SYD) can be booked and paid for separately. LAN can have cheap business class fares on that route.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Just wondering if:

i) some of the replies have this the wrong way round: OP seems to be talking about SYD-AKL-SCL but replies are taking about SCL-AKL-SYD. The J leg is the short one and I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost of two legs, but it depends how it straddles the distance bands.

ii) if the OP is having trouble booking it, it could be availability limitations not obscure rules. You've said SYD-SCL has Y availability but it doesn't necessarily mean AKL-SCL has Y availability, which you can therefore pair with SYD-AKL J.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
Just wondering if:

i) some of the replies have this the wrong way round: OP seems to be talking about SYD-AKL-SCL but replies are taking about SCL-AKL-SYD. The J leg is the short one and I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost of two legs, but it depends how it straddles the distance bands.

ii) if the OP is having trouble booking it, it could be availability limitations not obscure rules. You've said SYD-SCL has Y availability but it doesn't necessarily mean AKL-SCL has Y availability, which you can therefore pair with SYD-AKL J.

i) Indeed its SYD-AKL-SCL with J in the short leg. There is no cost difference in this case because its part of a longer RTW itinerary and I'm effectively paying for AKL-SCL in J anyway but can't find availability on suitable dates. Just trying to at least get J up to AKL if I can!

ii) BA.com shows Y and J for SYD-AKL, Y only for AKL-SCL and SYD-SCL. Sounds to me as though the obscure rule re. not allowed Y/J for same flight number was invented by phone agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.