Jokers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
Jokers

Hi All,

Quick q, am sure someone will know.

Looking to spend some Avios prior to the devaluation, do my jokers open seats in any class (theoretically)?

Many thanks
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The jokers work for any class and mean you can book up to 5 seats on a flight with avios when there is no normal reward availability.

To use the joker you need availability in revenue classes A for first, D for business, T for premium economy, and B in economy. Also there are a maximum of 5 joker seats per cabin per flight I believe, and if another GGL has used a joker for one or more seats in that cabin on that flight then no further jokers can be used for that cabin.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by KARFA
Also there are a maximum of 5 joker seats per cabin per flight I believe, and if another GGL has used a joker for one or more seats in that cabin on that flight then no further jokers can be used for that cabin.
The maximum is indeed 5 seats, but does the second statement really hold up? I thought that if one member has used a joker to open up availability for 2 seats, another member could get the other 3 seats (but not 5)?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

The jokers work for any class and mean you can book up to 5 seats on a flight with avios when there is no normal reward availability.

To use the joker you need availability in revenue classes A for first, D for business, T for premium economy, and B in economy. Also there are a maximum of 5 joker seats per cabin per flight I believe, and if another GGL has used a joker for one or more seats in that cabin on that flight then no further jokers can be used for that cabin.
I for business now, apparently. BA kept that one quiet:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
The maximum is indeed 5 seats, but does the second statement really hold up? I thought that if one member has used a joker to open up availability for 2 seats, another member could get the other 3 seats (but not 5)?
Yes it does. It is up to 5 seats per joker, but once a joker is used the balance of the 5 (if any) is not available.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera

That link refers to Gold Upgrade Vouchers, not GGL Jokers.

As regards the other points, I've definitely had them open a seat for me a week ago when both I and R were 0 and it was D5.

Also, apparently another GGL had also Jokered that flight in J, but as it was only the one seat, they said there was no issue in me also using mine.

Thats for GUFs, we are discussing jokers.
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

That link is not for the Gold Guest List Redemption (Joker). KARFA is correct, this is different to the Gold Upgrade for 1/2.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC

This isn't quite correct.

These are the buckets where GGL agents can open seats immediately without referring to rev management as long as no one else has used a joker in that cabin.

Other buckets can, and often are, opened but they need to be requested and aren't guaranteed. For instance, I had two first seats opened today on a F4 A0 flight outbound and F5 A0 inbound. Came back confirmed after a couple of hours.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
This isn't quite correct.

These are the buckets where GGL agents can open seats immediately without referring to rev management as long as no one else has used a joker in that cabin.

Other buckets can, and often are, opened but they need to be requested and aren't guaranteed. For instance, I had two first seats opened today on a F4 A0 flight outbound and F5 A0 inbound. Came back confirmed after a couple of hours.
This is the first I have ever heard of this. On what basis are the other fare classes made available? So even though A was at 0 they were allowing you to deploy a joker when there was only full fare F booking class left?

The t&cs merely say the following, so somewhat vague:

4.2. The Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards shall be subject to flight capacity and availability.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 pm

This is the first I have ever heard of this. On what basis are the other fare classes made available? So even though A was at 0 they were allowing you to deploy a joker when there was only full fare F booking class left?

The t&cs merely say the following, so somewhat vague:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
The GGL Team will often contact Revenue Management to see if seats can be released even if the usual Fare Class for GGL redemption isn't available. This is a courtesy and discretionary rather than it being a right/rule.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The GGL Team will often contact Revenue Management to see if seats can be released even if the usual redemption class isn't available. This is a courtesy and discretionary rather than it being a right/rule.
Ok, thanks. Never heard this before. I shall bear it in mind for the future. I thought once A, D, T, and B were at 0 that was it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:34 pm

Ok, thanks. Never heard this before. I shall bear it in mind for the future. I thought once A, D, T, and B were at 0 that was it.
Whilst I've benefited from this discretion a time or two I've never asked for it. The agent has always said they will contact RM to see if they will release seats anyway usually with the caveat that there are no promises. This is unlikely to be offered if the flight is very busy.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yup - I haven't actually ever been told 'no' after a request to rev mgmt although as someone has already said below, it is discretionary.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Yup - I haven't actually ever been told 'no' after a request to rev mgmt although as someone has already said below, it is discretionary.
Thanks TabTraveller ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.