Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel British Airways Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JBD
I hadn't known about this! I came here to see if this was a new policy - or if I just benefited from a website glitch.
(I just cancelled an Avios award for a LAX-HNL trip on AA. I had used 25,000 miles and charged $11.20 in tax. I had thought I'd get back the $11.20 and be charged $55 for mileage redeposit. But I'm just out the $11.20 and the miles were back in my account when I logged back in a few moments later. Such a better deal than with AA miles!)
It's pretty much a fee to cancel taken out of taxes, with free redeposit. So you're never out of any new money.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A shame this wasn't picked up on here at the time. I think you would have received some good advice that would have got you a much better outcome.
Thanks for your support !
In the end what mattered the most was that we reached our final destination of LPA in time for our X-mas family reunion - albeit on AirEuropa.
These days my interactions with the BA call center in India somehow are so much better.
Just booked 16 Avios awards before the devaluations for the US take place on 2/2
And my excuses if this is slightly OT !
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
I was gonna book several short haul flights prior to the devaluation, but cannot seem to find out what the change fees are. Someone said, it is cost prohibitive to change the flight, but very easy to cancel and redeposit the points (and only eat the small fuel charge). Anyone can chime in here?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by diclemeg
I was gonna book several short haul flights prior to the devaluation, but cannot seem to find out what the change fees are. Someone said, it is cost prohibitive to change the flight, but very easy to cancel and redeposit the points (and only eat the small fuel charge). Anyone can chime in here?
I hope this helps: if remember correctly, the change fees are a fixed $55 per person (plus the possible avios difference).
If you want to cancel the award, the redeposit fees are either the $55 per person or the forfeiture of the total amount of fees/taxes you paid, whatever amount is the least.
As soon as you try to book by phone, the agent will be able to tell you what the change/cancel fees will be. It's mandatory for them to inform you of this.
However, my experience is that when you inquire about cancellation and the forfeiture of the taxes/fees when the amount is less than the $55, they are clueless. It's the standard "$55 per person cancellation fee" response.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Travelomania
I hope this helps: if remember correctly, the change fees are a fixed $55 per person (plus the possible avios difference).
If you want to cancel the award, the redeposit fees are either the $55 per person or the forfeiture of the total amount of fees/taxes you paid, whatever amount is the least.
As soon as you try to book by phone, the agent will be able to tell you what the change/cancel fees will be. It's mandatory for them to inform you of this.
However, my experience is that when you inquire about cancellation and the forfeiture of the taxes/fees when the amount is less than the $55, they are clueless. It's the standard "$55 per person cancellation fee" response.
The cancellation fee is $55 per person as shown on BA.com. There is no mechanism for BA to cure the shortfall if the amount of taxes, fees, and charges are less than than figure so it is waived.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: UA, DL, A3
Will I get my Avios back?

The award ticket was booked before my Avios will expire for a while. Now that former expiration date has passed (After booking the award, I did not have any activities with my Avios account). Now if I cancel that award, will all of my Avios expire because I didn't have any activities (except redeem and cancel the same award)?

To make my question clear, if I didn't redeem that award, now my Avios will expire because of no activity.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:49 am

Just got notified of a schedule change on a JL flight that I booked using BA Avios. The JL flight from SFO to HND has a huge schedule change making the connecting flight from HND to KIX impossible because JL did not change this leg. Should I cancel this reservation online and try to rebook? if so, how long would it take to get the avois back into the account? Or should I call BA to sort this out? I am now prefer taking the LAX to KIX direct flight and possibly buying a cash ticket SFO to LAX. thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Definitely call. If you cancel, you are unlikely to get any seat at all.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
BAEC's responsibility to rebook the HND-KIX or refund in this case. Of course we'd do everything to stop the "or refund" option.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:48 am

I cancelled an award ticket on BA.com on June 30, and still have not received the miles or taxes back. The canceled ticket was for travel last week. Is it normal to take this long to process? I did get a confirmation email when I submitted the form, saying I would get another email when the request had been processed and miles/money refunded.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Very poor but sadly unsurprising. I cancelled an Avios booking recently on the phone and was promised refunded Avios within 72 hours. 6 days later no sign. Complained, as I do every time, on Twitter and within 24 hours Avios were back on my account. Sadly BA no longer understands the meaning of customer service until one complains,
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:25 am

Error: there was a problem with your request please try again later

I need to cancel two one way trips for two I made using Avios but flying AA. These are simple direct flights.

I have tried cancelling several times yesterday and today. First time, I got a message stating site was experiencing difficulties. Subsequently, I get the message in the title.

I get all the way to the final step, confirming cancellation before I get this.

Is there a chance this is really related to site problems and might resolve in a day or so?

Are there other possible causes/ reasons I should investigate?

While flights are not until next March, I was hoping to request a product change on the card I used for these bookings, and do not want to do that until this is resolved.

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travelpye
I need to cancel two one way trips for two I made using Avios but flying AA. These are simple direct flights.

I have tried cancelling several times yesterday and today. First time, I got a message stating site was experiencing difficulties. Subsequently, I get the message in the title.
IT glitches are a way of life. Yes, leave it a day or so, try again, and if you get fed up just call in, explaining that though you want to do it online at the moment it is falling over. Best to avoid peak times. You could try the App to see if that works better. It's rare for an outage to last more than an hour in my experience.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jimindc
I cancelled an award ticket on BA.com on June 30, and still have not received the miles or taxes back. The canceled ticket was for travel last week. Is it normal to take this long to process? I did get a confirmation email when I submitted the form, saying I would get another email when the request had been processed and miles/money refunded.
Just an update - after a combined 2+ hours on hold over two calls to BA, and a wait of 5 days after the second call, I got my miles back around 2 months after cancelling the ticket. I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have gotten them back if I hadn't called.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Confused...I cancelled a booking Idid on October 16 (one way) for next week the 23rd, got the CC card page, inputed my CC info for confirmation and it cancelled but only sent me confirmation that the miles will be refunded. Miles posted right away, but what about the $485 in taxes? will they be refunded minus the $55 cancellation fee?

Thanks for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.