FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Should BA make DXB an A380 route? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1640528-should-ba-make-dxb-a380-route.html)

:D! Dec 28, 2014 4:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 24060073)
A lounge refit is scheduled for later in 2015. It is being arranged by the same team as the did the new AMS lounge.

Is this likely to happen before June (or by "later in 2015" did you mean in the latter half of next year)? If the lounge needs to close temporarily, where will pax be directed?

dddc Dec 28, 2014 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 24059858)
Many of you will have seen that I have commented on the rather full cabins on my trips to Dubai and back.

It seems to be getting worse........

When I first read that, I thought you were going to say that they had installed hand rails and hand straps so people could stand for the whole flight. 29" seat pitch would be a luxury then!! :D

Stez Dec 28, 2014 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Yachtman (Post 24061867)
That's good news, definitely overdue. Would be nice to see showers there and an enhanced selection of food.

Be very careful of your choice of words there! :o

Sixth Freedom Dec 28, 2014 7:45 am

The 777 to AUH may act as 'overspill', potentially reducing the need for more capacity.

BahrainLad Dec 28, 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 24059996)
I was a regular on the DXB and AUH runs for many years.
The cheapest Y return on BA over 10 years ago was over £770

I can buy the same ticket today for £450
Business class fares are also a lot cheaper to DXB/AUH than a comparable transatlantic.
importantly, the A380 can generate better revenue elsewhere.
BA have been using the 777 since the mid 1990s and still use the same aircraft today...
So, as much as I would like to see it,(380) I don't think it will happen.
You could try flying QR to boost your tier points and get your self up to silver.
If all else fails, when relaxing in the flat bed, you could consider what it was like when BA had 767s on the run before the cradle seat! I remember it well!

You are quite right although in the mid 1990s the Gulf network looked like this

- LHR-BAH-AUH (daily, 767)
- LHR-DXB-MCT (daily, 767)

Then from about 1997 Dubai became a terminating service, Doha was swapped for MCT on the BAH run and MCT moved to AUH, with everything switching to a 777. Then early 2000s Dubai got a second and then a seasonal third daily. So the route and overall market has grown somewhat despite the rise of the ME3.

Shame no 747-400 to BAH any more, that was fun.

BahrainLad Dec 28, 2014 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 24060086)
Hey, my regular steed to the Gulf was B767-300 G-BNWG (which was palmed off to Qantas) didn't even have cradle seats in club initially!

I don't think a 767 with cradles ever darkened Bahrain's door, it was all 777 by then.

Foofighter69 Dec 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman (Post 24061867)
That's good news, definitely overdue. Would be nice to see showers there and an enhanced selection of food.

Nobody wants to see 'enhanced' ;)

AA_EXP09 Dec 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 24061733)
I think that high loads on DXB and AUH could be misleading sometimes as they might well be popular routes for staff travel for the following reasons:

i) DXB's tourist attractions and sunshine
ii) highly predictable traffic flows that are good for long weekends (e.g. Thursday flights eastbound will most of the time be off-peak, as will Sunday flights westbound)

iii) no VAT and better prices than shops at comparable destinations i.e. HKG (and no crowded MRT due to the cheaper taxi prices.) Also much less jetlag.

ppp909 Dec 30, 2014 6:02 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 24070544)
iii) no VAT and better prices than shops at comparable destinations i.e. HKG (and no crowded MRT due to the cheaper taxi prices.) Also much less jetlag.

That's not my experience in Dubai. Prices in the shops are roughly the same as the UK. Given that you can't take things back if they go wrong (unless you frequently go to Dubai) then it's not worth doing.
The Dubai metro is frequently packed, especially in the morning and evening rushes. At the same time taxis are very difficult to hail, depending on where you are. Both are very cheap though, but then again, they are in Hong Kong too.

Hong Kong is also a place where you can spend hours on end wandering about. If you get bored of the city you can go into the hills. In Dubai, you can go to the next shopping mall which looks exactly the same as the last and has exactly the same shops you get in the UK. If you get fed up with the city there are vast expanses of sand for you to explore. It's also difficult to happen across local eateries in Dubai.

As for jetlag, I get it worse in Dubai. It's a relatively short flight so if you take an overnighter you don't get a full night's sleep. Day flights aren't so bad though but they do mean spending an extra night away from home so I avoid them.

I've started using QR to get to DXB. First time I did it, W on BA cost more than F on QR. It's a longer flight via DOH but you get a chance to get a shower, then a decent breakfast on the hop to DXB. 270 TP vs 90 on BA each way in this case too. Fares do fluctuate a lot though, obviously.

scottishpoet Dec 30, 2014 6:58 am

You say :

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 24059858)
Yes, as I mentioned, it's good for BA, but my point being, could there be room for expansion given the demand? I.e., could they take on more passengers? Surely that would be better long term?

But earlier you say :

I have noticed a couple of times now whereby one of the two evening flights seems to vanish and passengers such as myself are moved onto the other flight a few months prior to the flight. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I'm guessing BA might be 'merging' the flights into one load or something?
It would suggest there is not demand if they are merging two loads onto 1 flight

Skimo Dec 30, 2014 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ppp909 (Post 24071843)
That's not my experience in Dubai. Prices in the shops are roughly the same as the UK. Given that you can't take things back if they go wrong (unless you frequently go to Dubai) then it's not worth doing.
The Dubai metro is frequently packed, especially in the morning and evening rushes. At the same time taxis are very difficult to hail, depending on where you are. Both are very cheap though, but then again, they are in Hong Kong too.

Hong Kong is also a place where you can spend hours on end wandering about. If you get bored of the city you can go into the hills. In Dubai, you can go to the next shopping mall which looks exactly the same as the last and has exactly the same shops you get in the UK. If you get fed up with the city there are vast expanses of sand for you to explore. It's also difficult to happen across local eateries in Dubai.

As for jetlag, I get it worse in Dubai. It's a relatively short flight so if you take an overnighter you don't get a full night's sleep. Day flights aren't so bad though but they do mean spending an extra night away from home so I avoid them.

I've started using QR to get to DXB. First time I did it, W on BA cost more than F on QR. It's a longer flight via DOH but you get a chance to get a shower, then a decent breakfast on the hop to DXB. 270 TP vs 90 on BA each way in this case too. Fares do fluctuate a lot though, obviously.

Agreed. I don't think colleagues go to Dubai for the shopping. Even people that go there regularly on holiday often complain about how expensive the place has become. It's a fly and flop destination with small time change and a huge array of family friendly resort hotels that offer special rates to the travel industry.

DYKWIA Dec 30, 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 24061924)
Is this likely to happen before June (or by "later in 2015" did you mean in the latter half of next year)? If the lounge needs to close temporarily, where will pax be directed?

I *think* that it will be a new lounge in Concourse D (due to open 2015). All the non-EK airlines currently in Concourse C will move to Concourse D, and A/B/C will be exclusive for EK (plus QF).

Isolde Jan 1, 2015 6:06 am

From what I hear, the A380 is limited in hold capacity, Emirates are turning away cargo from their A380 flights and BA are benefitting with both higher freight rates and higher volumes. This makes the route very profitable with existing equipment and may be another reason for BA to choose not to use A380 on this route.

paulwuk Jan 1, 2015 7:45 am

EK are launching a 3rd flight to BHX this year, in addition to 3 MAN, 2 GLA, 1 NCL, 3 LGW and 5 LHR, about 4000 seats a day, plus 2 a380s on QF. BA just doesn't register.

adrian1980uk Jan 1, 2015 8:47 am

We need to remember there are a couple options to increase capacity from a 777-200, it could go to a 777-300 or 747 for an increase rather than the massive increase the A380 gives