FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Vibrations on the plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1638107-vibrations-plane.html)

AceCobra1 Dec 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Vibrations on the plane

Any ideas what the best way is to cushion the vibrations of the floor on the plane? I find that it makes me feel quite "tired" even after a domestic flight lol :rolleyes:

dylanks Dec 17, 2014 1:36 pm

1. Don't sleep or sit on the floor
2. Don't fly

Ok, to be serious for a moment, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Do you mean the vibrations that the plane makes, or movements of the floor from people walking around or something else?

kanderson1965 Dec 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 (Post 24013329)
Any ideas what the best way is to cushion the vibrations of the floor on the plane? I find that it makes me feel quite "tired" even after a domestic flight lol :rolleyes:

Ask the captain nicely to turn the engines off :)

or seriously there is anti-vibration matting available, generally used by people who stand all day working machine tools. Probably a pain to carry around though.

AceCobra1 Dec 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Its the vibration of the floor when the engines are on lol.... I just thought there might be products like the anti vibration mats that are portable. The pillow will need to do lol

Yesitsme Dec 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Just pretend you're on a ship. It work for some people (including myself) ;)

kanderson1965 Dec 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 (Post 24013539)
Its the vibration of the floor when the engines are on lol.... I just thought there might be products like the anti vibration mats that are portable. The pillow will need to do lol

Do a google search for sorbothane mat and see what comes up. Sorbothane is a very good vibration damping material.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm

My uneducated theory is that the bigger the aircraft, and the nearer the front you are/furthest from the engines, the less noticeable the floor vibrations are. So 787s, A380s, UD 747s are the place to be. 777-200 don't half rattle. Were you looking for a rationale for travelling First?

Jamier45 Dec 17, 2014 3:47 pm

If you think BA's aircraft rattle and vibrate, try flying on a C-130 :)

vibrex Dec 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jamier45 (Post 24014198)

+1
I had 20 years on them.

Did some work with Cranfield when the J was introduced as it was even worse.

LTN Phobia Dec 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 24014185)
So 787s, A380s, UD 747s are the place to be.

A380 UD gets the noticeable floor flexing when someone walks, so the OP might not like it.

Jamier45 Dec 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by vibrex (Post 24014232)
+1
I had 20 years on them.

Did some work with Cranfield when the J was introduced as it was even worse.

It doesn't bother me, they send me to sleep rapidly! I tend to find if you sit just infront/behind where the propeller will come through if it detaches to be the easiest places to fall asleep.

Calchas Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jamier45 (Post 24014398)
I tend to find if you sit just infront/behind where the propeller will come through if it detaches to be the easiest places to fall asleep.

!!? Is that a frequent occurrence?

I'm not sure I'd get much rest in that position. :p

chucko Dec 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jamier45 (Post 24014198)

Too right. They made the C-130 one of the quietest turboprops flying by simply re-directing all the noise to the interior of the aircraft.

But vibes on jets are the real thing. I've had a few of my cameras in the shop because the high-frequency vibrations on jet aircraft managed to shake loose the odd screw or rivet. The tech would hand it back with "Been flying a bit of long-haul, have we?"

chucko Dec 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 24014653)
!!? Is that a frequent occurrence?

I'm not sure I'd get much rest in that position. :p

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...g-9850897.html

In fairness to the type (which I fly on a couple times a month), it looks like the blade was lost when the plane was skidding down the runway during an emergency landing -- not in mid-air.

EuropeanPete Dec 17, 2014 8:56 pm

This doesn't exactly help, but I find wearing noise cancelling headphones makes you notice it a lot less. As cws though, do try to avoid 777-200s. It's someone's trying to crack through your skull with a pneumatic drill.