Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: Club World

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:24 am

New to the forum and sift through the post and just wanted to confirm some things.

My wife and I just booked LHR LAX route and wanted upper deck to find out that most of them are unavailable, but some of them can be chosen if you booked with $ so I am assuming these are just blocked out? I am Oneworld Ruby via AA gold, do these seats become available 7 days prior to departure for Oneworld ruby members?

Getting the UD seats seem like impossible now what are the best seats for couples on the lower/main deck? 14EF, 20EF?

Your help is appreciated, thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Tokaitalbo!
Originally Posted by Tokaitalbo
My wife and I just booked LHR LAX route and wanted upper deck to find out that most of them are unavailable, but some of them can be chosen if you booked with $ so I am assuming these are just blocked out?
If you need to pay to pre-allocate seats, then on the 747 upper deck only these are available: 63AB, 63JK, 64B plus (on some routes) 60B. The remainder can only be pre-allocated by those who do not have to pay to do so (other than 64A which is blocked as a bassinet position).
what are the best seats for couples on the lower/main deck? 14EF, 20EF?
These seats have no window, and they are side-by-side seats so you don't face each other. But they have the advantage of direct aisle access (ie you don't have to step out over anyone to get to the aisle). If you can see 14EF, then 22EF should also be on the aircraft and are basically the same type.

If you want a window seat and to face each other, then 14AB, 14JK, 20AB, 20JK, 22AB and 22JK are all pairs where the window seat passenger does not have to step over anyone else to get to the aisle. However, there will be a window seat passenger in the row ahead who steps out over the aisle passenger (13A steps out over 14B, for example).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, Tokaitalbo!If you need to pay to pre-allocate seats, then on the 747 upper deck only these are available: 63AB, 63JK, 64B plus (on some routes) 60B. The remainder can only be pre-allocated by those who do not have to pay to do so (other than 64A which is blocked as a bassinet position).
Thanks for the prompt response. If these do not get taken, do they become available to others later on like 7 days before departure (I have Oneworld ruby - I just edited my previous post but only after your response) or 72 hours before? Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If these do not get taken, do they become available to others later on like 7 days before departure (I have Oneworld ruby - I just edited my previous post but only after your response) or 72 hours before?
If you're OW Ruby, then I think you should be able to get access to all of the seats 7 days before departure, if there are any left (except for 60B if blocked and 64A because of the bassinet).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
744 Upper Deck club world

I am forced to fly a BA dino 744 in faux business class later this year from LHR-IAD. That being said I'm happy to be on a plane that won't be around anymore and selected 60A on the upper deck. Question: is this the best seat on the plane?

thank you.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I am forced to fly a BA dino 744 in faux business class later this year from LHR-IAD. That being said I'm happy to be on a plane that won't be around anymore and selected 60A on the upper deck. Question: is this the best seat on the plane?

thank you.
Enjoy the upper deck experience while it lasts. The best seats on the plane are 1A/1K however that's in a higher cabin.

For Club World upstairs on the 747, I prefer 64A/64K if you can snag them. They face backwards like 60A but you don't have to climb over anyone to get to the aisle. Being a short westbound day flight anywhere on the upper deck should be fine though.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Generally 64A/K and 62A/K are more highly valued, due to being window seats with direct aisle access. 64A is a bassinet, you won’t be able to select that in advance, you may get it by phone from T-72, or once checkin opens.

63A/K can also have aisle access if you’re not large, you can get round the side of the seat. Window seats are more prized on the UD due to extra storage and privacy. The aisle seats, while just as exposed as those on the lower deck, at least feel a bit better due to the wider aisle upstairs.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question: is this the best seat on the plane?
No, of course not.

The best seat is forward of 60A, albeit on the same deck.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, of course not.

The best seat is forward of 60A, albeit on the same deck.
Pretty sure that seat doesn't have IFE or flatten into a bed. Though, as I understand it, there's a separate bed elsewhere in the aircraft one can use.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armouredant
Pretty sure that seat doesn't have IFE or flatten into a bed.
I beg to differ on the IFE front. That has the best IFE on the whole aircraft.
armouredant likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Flying MEX-LHR on 787-9, 3 of us in CW. Best options? 13 A B and D? or 7 A, B and D?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Generally 64A/K and 62A/K are more highly valued, due to being window seats with direct aisle access. 64A is a bassinet, you won’t be able to select that in advance, you may get it by phone from T-72, or once checkin opens.

63A/K can also have aisle access if you’re not large, you can get round the side of the seat. Window seats are more prized on the UD due to extra storage and privacy. The aisle seats, while just as exposed as those on the lower deck, at least feel a bit better due to the wider aisle upstairs.
I was able to select 62A thanks for the tip. I see it's an exit row too.

Also to clarify my apparent (mis) understanding I asked what was the best seat upstairs as I thought the entire upper deck was Club World and for some reason thought F was in front on the lower level.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TTmex
Flying MEX-LHR on 787-9, 3 of us in CW. Best options? 13 A B and D? or 7 A, B and D?
It depends a bit on your preferred trade offs. 13 is nearer the wing and therefore noisier from an engine noise perspective, however the 787 is a quiet aircraft compared to almost anything else flying. Row 13 is something of a cul de sac, and though some staff go through the curtain to WTP, on the average flight there is very little passage by staff or passengers by row 13. And row 7 is kind of the reverse - quieter from the engines but a lot more people passing by, plus the galley work just beyond 7. So if you are going to go straight to sleep after take off, there is a case for row 13, if you are going to stay up for at least a couple of hours then perhaps row 7.

Note that 13E and 7E are perhaps more logical than D, the reason being that both seats have their own direct aisle access, a bit of extra storage space and 13A and 13E are kind of connected. Personally I would prefer that to the D seat, which is just another aisle seat. However if you had certain sorts of claustrophobia this may not work for you, other people with this condition actually like the E bulkheads.

See also the specific seating thread on 787 aircraft in the Dashboard.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I was able to select 62A thanks for the tip. I see it's an exit row too.

Also to clarify my apparent (mis) understanding I asked what was the best seat upstairs as I thought the entire upper deck was Club World and for some reason thought F was in front on the lower level.
You’re welcome, I’m sure you’ll be happy in 62A.

F is at the front on the lower deck. Globaliser was having some gentle fun, the flight deck is in front of 60A on the UD...
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
63J or 20A/K?

Ok, so here is a very specific question: would you prefer an isle seat on the upper deck of a 747 (63J) or a window seat downstairs (20A/K - which has the benefit that you don't need to step over anyone). I cannot make up my mind. It is a 12hr overnight flight and I will just want to sleep. I love the quietness of the upper deck, but usually sleep much better at the window seats. I'm curious to hear what more seasoned travellers would choose...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.