FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Back to KL [BA to resume flights to Kuala Lumpur from May 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1613442-back-kl-ba-resume-flights-kuala-lumpur-may-2015-a.html)

Flythe96flag May 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Sorry, wanted to resize but haven't figured how to do it on the phone yet. :D

I shall edit tomorrow ;)

Calchas May 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius (Post 24878128)
At that size, how could you miss it????

:D :D :D

docgasman May 28, 2015 3:23 am

Absolutely amazing flight to KUL. I was in First, outstanding service - perhaps the best I have ever had on a BA flight. Crew were nominated by their colleagues to staff this inaugural BA33. Greeted by water cannons at KUL and a huge welcoming reception, including the Deputy Minister for Transport and lots of press / media. Fantastic trip! Thanks to the crew for making this flight so special after 14 years absence! Reception tonight in the High Commissioners Residence

Flying Doctor May 28, 2015 4:20 am

Back to KL [BA to resume flights to Kuala Lumpur from May 2015]

Yes - it was a great flight and service was superb. I'd agree amongst the best I've had in F in a very long time. There were in effect 3 CSDs on board and yes the welcoming party was rather significant!!!!

FD

Flythe96flag May 28, 2015 4:30 am

My apologies, here's a resized, more user friendly image of BA33 at gate A18 viewed from the Flounge. :D

http://puu.sh/i3vbb/c576fe6e49.png

Ldnn1 Jun 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Interestingly AF are cancelling their KUL service from October - good news for BA's route planners (though still plenty of competition for connecting pax).

http://airlineroute.net/2015/06/16/af-kul-w15cxld/

GodAtum Jul 18, 2015 8:29 am

Does anyone have a trip report or menu to share?

zsc Aug 28, 2015 8:20 am

Flew economy on BA33, going to be flying BA34 in a while.

BA33 was serviced by a very dated 772, IFE was a 90s setup, dated cabin & obvious signs of wear. (Then again I was not travelling in First or Business so it's an insignificant complain from a pleb)

Can only hope that the return (BA34) will be on a slightly more modern aircraft. This is not a good experience especially considering that BA resuming direct LHR-KUL flights was big news.

Forever in Seattle Aug 28, 2015 9:27 am

Originally Posted by zsc (Post 25341769)
Flew economy on BA33, going to be flying BA34 in a while.

BA33 was serviced by a very dated 772, IFE was a 90s setup, dated cabin & obvious signs of wear. (Then again I was not travelling in First or Business so it's an insignificant complain from a pleb)

Can only hope that the return (BA34) will be on a slightly more modern aircraft. This is not a good experience especially considering that BA resuming direct LHR-KUL flights was big news.

Actually they use the newest 777-200ER's on that route, the Roller powered YMMx aircraft, but they have not had a refit since they have been delivered so have the original IFE (which still better than the 747's in WT/WT+ at this point of time), unlike most of the 4 class older GE powered 777-200ER's which have had a refit.

Sorry to say your return flight will be the same version of 200ER (drink more so you don't notice it!)

zsc Aug 28, 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle (Post 25342068)
Actually they use the newest 777-200ER's on that route, the Roller powered YMMx aircraft, but they have not had a refit since they have been delivered so have the original IFE (which still better than the 747's in WT/WT+ at this point of time), unlike most of the 4 class older GE powered 777-200ER's which have had a refit.

Sorry to say your return flight will be the same version of 200ER (drink more so you don't notice it!)

Aw, darn. This is my first time trying BA upon recommendation of a friend, looks like I won't be returning anytime soon :(

I'm intrigued by your mention of them being the newest - I'm a newb so forgive me if I'm sorely lacking research on this - Planespotters lists the aircraft serving BA34 as the ones entered into service in 2001, while there are four newer 777-200s in service since 2009? Now I'm genuinely curious as to what routes those four serve.

Will heed your advice and hit the drinks! :D

Globaliser Aug 28, 2015 10:44 am

Originally Posted by zsc (Post 25342334)
I'm intrigued by your mention of them being the newest - I'm a newb so forgive me if I'm sorely lacking research on this - Planespotters lists the aircraft serving BA34 as the ones entered into service in 2001, while there are four newer 777-200s in service since 2009? Now I'm genuinely curious as to what routes those four serve.

The last four were (IIRC) basically just a small top-up order of the same aircraft, so AIUI they're much of a muchness with the G-YMMx that are used on KUL. Those four are currently configured with no first class (which rules them out for use on KUL), and two of them are currently based at LGW.

zsc Aug 28, 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 25342536)
The last four were (IIRC) basically just a small top-up order of the same aircraft, so AIUI they're much of a muchness with the G-YMMx that are used on KUL. Those four are currently configured with no first class (which rules them out for use on KUL), and two of them are currently based at LGW.

Always appreciating the community here, you guys know a whole lot! Thank you for sharing :)

longliveKA Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

Flew return on WT+.
Rather not good.
IFE is bad, bad, bad. It has been a long time since I've had such an ancient equipment, film selection limited and for such a long flight (over 6000miles) it's not acceptable.
On the way out the UK FA's were uninterested and not helpful, while the Malaysian purser was really working hard to help passengers. On the way back the male FA in WT+ appeared in need of psychological attention as he looked stressed and nervous and had some funny conversations with his colleagues. The crew didn't have a clue of the food served.
Definitelly not an experience to repeat, and now that it's going to the 787 I will avoid the route as plague unless I need the 20 extra TP's.
As a trade off, WT+ from KL was at the time I booked quite a bargain and cheaper than Y class from HKG. Moreover I was able to secure pre devaluation avios. Just a cheap way to fullfil the 4 sector requirement and stack on some avios for the year to come.

zsc Aug 29, 2015 2:44 am

Wow, even WT+ gets scathing reviews.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope the flight is overbooked, and that they'll offer J on a different flight, like my experience with MH last year (same time) - MH2 was overbooked, was offered J on KUL-Frankfurt-LHR, but was on a strict schedule and couldn't accept the different flight.

Checking on ExpertFlyer shows F9 A9 J9 C6 D4 R1 W9 Y5 B1 M0 G0 - really really hoping there is an overbooking...

vbroucek Aug 29, 2015 3:48 am

Originally Posted by zsc (Post 25345780)
Wow, even WT+ gets scathing reviews.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope the flight is overbooked, and that they'll offer J on a different flight, like my experience with MH last year (same time) - MH2 was overbooked, was offered J on KUL-Frankfurt-LHR, but was on a strict schedule and couldn't accept the different flight.

Checking on ExpertFlyer shows F9 A9 J9 C6 D4 R1 W9 Y5 B1 M0 G0 - really really hoping there is an overbooking...

There are heaps of space... So this is NOT overbooked flight. And cross posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25345885-post1033.html) is not allowed.