Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The nicest/worst thing you've ever done whilst on or waiting for a BA flight ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The nicest/worst thing you've ever done whilst on or waiting for a BA flight ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:35 am

I saved an elderly woman who fell over at the end of a travel later in LHR T3, with lots of people backing up behind her. Quite pleased about that one...

For some reason I am always rude to the Avis staff when they can't sort out a hire car without trying to screw me over on an upswell or have cocked up the booking.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Originally Posted by exilencfc
The nicest thing I have ever done is help other people with their luggage. The nasty bit is that being short my luggage lifting technique is quite alarming and several people may have feared for their lives.
I too am fairly short and often some kind gentleman offers to help me put my bag in the overhead locker. I've often wondered if I'm just on the receiving end of chivalrous behaviour or whether I just look as if I'm about to knock someone out with my bag as I struggle to reach.

Nicest things I've done off the top of my head;
held the hand of a fellow traveller during take off because she was extremely nervous and traveling alone, we then kept each other company during the rest of the LHR-DFW flight.
offered to have one of my carry on bags put in the hold when a fraught FA was trying to make everything fit on a particularly full and extremely late flight while dealing with a particularly grumpy man. He declined but he was very appreciative and said if there had been any space in another cabin he would have upgraded me as a thank you.

Worst; I got a bit stroppy with a bag drop agent in January after she was very rude, insisted she print me a boarding pass even though I told her several times I was using the app on my phone, she then tapped her feet loudly when I had to take a couple of things out of my suitcase and put into my carry on to make it a few lbs lighter. She then ripped off a load of stickers and bag receipts etc off my passport stating they weren't allowed - news to me! I got wound up when she tried to hand me a printed boarding pass, made a show of reissuing my app pass and made some off hand comment when I asked her to give me the stickers etc she'd ripped off my passport. I was tired and hungry after a long day and just wanted to get on the plane and get some sleep. Also shocked at the complete lack of good customer service.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Nicest:
A good few years ago on arrival at SIN on the way to Australia, at the top of the bridge a crew member had just arrived with an elderly Club passenger on his arm and was apologising that she'd have to wait before being helped to the lounge. I was in Y but (then) a Silver cardholder and offered to take her with me as I was heading to the lounge anyway. He asked her if that would be okay, she agreed, and before we toddled off he checked the BP in my shirt pocket, I assumed to see who the police would need to question should the nice old Northern dear be found up a corner concussed and without her purse, not that I would!

During the detour to Duty Free for some whisky she told me it was for her brother who she was going to see for the final time in her life, as she was in her 80s, and hence the treat of a seat in Club.

When I returned with her to the gate, I had a beep and was upgraded to WT+ for my troubles. I went to see her during the second flight too, and gave her a big hug when we said farewell.

Worst:
Quite recently being snappy with the passenger who arrived with a boarding pass for 6C telling me, in 6A, that I was in her seat. After settling in 6C, she later checked something in her paperwork and declared that she was in fact correct after all and that I had taken her seat. I should have waited for a crew member to come and be snappy with her instead.

Last edited by paulieuk; Jul 2, 2014 at 4:29 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Nicest: guesting into the lounge an old lady who had a long layover ahead of her and a 10 hours WT flight.

Worst: not swapping my bulkhead aisle seat in WTP for a central seat. That was too much!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Nicest, hmmm.

Being brought up with manners, asking a lady or two on different flights if they would like me to put their cabin bag up in the overhead. The frosty responses ensures that I will never offer again.

Not on BA, was chatting to a nice wee ex-pat granny at LAX on the way to MIA who was excited to be traveling in F to visit family. She didn't realise she could get in the lounge on an AA trans-con and wanted to know where she could buy a cup of tea, so I said I could help with that, carried her bag and stopped at the Admirals Club pointing inside. Free tea, biscuits, quiet seat, good deed for the day done.

Worst:

Again not on BA, but...does -ahem- browning one's cream trousers -ahem- in seat 1A on an AA 757 after a 3 day drinking binge in Austin count?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Nicest:
Voluntarily gave up my (fully flexible) seat LHR-GOT on an overbooked flight for a best man attending a wedding.
Worst:
Did NOT give up my seat for a couple on a honeymoon JFK-CPH (I was really tired and need to go home).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:41 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Nicest, hmmm.

Again not on BA, but...does -ahem- browning one's cream trousers -ahem- in seat 1A on an AA 757 after a 3 day drinking binge in Austin count?
Man Alive!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:46 am

I put people's bags in the lockers too, although every time I do this a little part of me wants to say "sorry the regulations clearly state that you must be capable of placing your luggage in the overhead lockers unaided "
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Nice things... Not much, just giving up my seats in the waiting area or on board, giving crew members my details to back them up regarding stroppy passengers, giving up my meal choice when I realised that they were running out, because the passenger seemed a bit aggressive and I did not want the crew suffering from aggro passenger (I'm not interested in benefiting the DYKWIA-type of passengers but I am interested in keeping peace in the cabin), and having a quiet word with the CSD/purser when I notice a serious service failure which might result in a complaint against them from a passenger. Taking people to the right place at airports when they're lost.

Giving up the empty middle seat in CE to accommodate the father of a child who was upset about being away from her father because her mother and her were op-upped but he wasn't and screamed the cabin down. I did this with crew permission of course (and it also benefited me because the cabin was now quieter). I was going to swap but he was in my nightmare seat so I couldn't swap in case I started to get a claustrophobia attack.

Playing with children in the galley because their parents needed a bit of help, and moving my things further away in the overhead locker so that parents can have their things closer to them.

So, nothing major at all, I'm embarrassed to say...

Originally Posted by bioblot
I put people's bags in the lockers too, although every time I do this a little part of me wants to say "sorry the regulations clearly state that you must be capable of placing your luggage in the overhead lockers unaided "
I do that too! Some people do bring in bags they can barely lift off the floor, let alone putting it up in the overhead locker and I may say inside of me, "Oh dear, tut tut, the regulations" much like you said. So, that's nice and "bad" at the same time.

Having said that, amusingly I also get offered assistance to put my bags up there (being small-ish female, I assume, hopefully not because I look old and frail yet) but I don't need it, so I gracefully thank them and decline most of the time, or if I am feeling lazy, I gracefully accept. I hope I don't sound ungrateful like a previous poster has posted about when I decline! I am genuinely happy to see such offer of kindness, so if I sound gruff, I apologise, and say that it is wholly unintended if I sound gruff.

Which brings to my worst one, as it involves unintentionally possibly sounding gruff as it just came out in a strange way, not as intended. Let me explain...

I was in Row 2 in CE, sitting next to a pleasant, quiet gentleman. For some reason the service was done in a rather cocked-up manner, being done by two crew members on one trolley, one of the crew members serving from Row 3 onwards, one served Row 1. Row 1 was being a bit of a pain so it took a while to serve him the meal, and in the meantime the chap doing Row 3, 4 and 5 had served the lot. So, Row 2 was served last.

By the time Row 2 was served they only had one option left of something that sounded appetising. I was trying to offer it to my seat mate but it might have ended up sounding gruff, like I was reluctantly giving it up (I hate it when I do that!). I was pretty horrified about that. Anyway the passenger next to me said no, I should have that one, and insisted, much to my horror. Anyway, that was the worst thing I have ended up doing on the flight in recent times. I was apologising which the guy seemed almost confused about, but anyway, we proceeded to have a pleasant conversation for the rest of the flight (quietly, I might add, so as not to annoy other passengers). So, that was my mortifying moment...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:59 am

Nicest, hmmm.

Being brought up with manners, asking a lady or two on different flights if they would like me to put their cabin bag up in the overhead. The frosty responses ensures that I will never offer again.
I'm always a bit sad when I read things like this. I can of course always manage to get my bag in the overhead (per regs!) but if someone offers to help I will usually take them up on it but then again, I think some of them are more concerned for their own welfare than mine!

Worst:

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Nicest: Accepting an upgrade from WT to CW. Guesting somebody into the lounge.

Worst:
Going to LHR instead of LGW for a flight. Slight panic but managed to get a later flight

On the topic, in today's Guardian:
Ten airport horror stories that will make you never want to fly again

Electra2510
01 July 2014 1:28pm
Just another one -
On our flight out to Thailand for our honeymoon, Mr E got stopped at Heathrow security as he was deemed to be causing offence to other passengers. His crime? Wearing at t-shirt with a picture of a Lego Han Solo and the words "Don't get Cocky!"
We never found out what element caused offence; the Lego, the Stars Wars theme, but whatever it was he had to wear his t-shirt inside out while were in the terminal.
The staff on the our Thai Air flight must have though we were absolute freaks when we asked them if they had any issues with him wearing his t-.... the right way round when we got on the flight

Last edited by Polomarc; Jul 2, 2014 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
Donating the use of my left knee to the Doctor sat next to me in the exit row in economy on an Air Canada (i know..it's not a BA flight) flight back from Canada. She had busted her knee up badly in a skiing accident which had to be operated on but wanted it done back in the UK. It was required to be immobilised and the leg raised up so her foot was higher then her knee but with the cabin pressure she was in some discomfort and after varying attempts by the crew to help (there was no room in business) it was a pillow on my left knee that her leg rested on that was the most comfortable albeit subject to some odd looks from the folks on the plane.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Originally Posted by bioblot
I can do this, but my height (or lack of it) means it involves me standing on one of the seats to reach. Something I'm sure no one wants anyone doing so I'm always happy if someone offers to help.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Giving my wife my Breakaway.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Giving my wife my Breakaway.
That could be both nicest and worst!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.