FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Boarding Pass for shopping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1590076-boarding-pass-shopping.html)

callum9999 Jun 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by evanderm (Post 23121212)
If they scan the barcode, the systems will read personally identifiable information (full name, exec club number, origin/destination/check-in sequence). What guarantee do I have that the computer is ignoring this and not storing it?

ETA: This is an example of what gets scanned: (taken from https://lh3.ggpht.com/48CkNe5011Opir...r2q8mQ=h900-rw)

The law.

Originally Posted by statik (Post 23121547)
Regardless of the legality of them selling that personally identifiable data in non aggregate form, I still don't like that they do it and they have it.

When they scan my boarding pass they get my name, when I was at their location, what flight I'm on, class of service, frequent flier number, etc. And they know that it was me, there are that location, again.

That's a lot of personal information I'd rather not give them.

My main point is I treat the request for the boarding pass as an optional request in these situations, and politely decline.

I would bet you that representatives and management from the establishments in question would agree, and clarify that it is NOT mandatory for customers to hand over their boarding passes to purchase a non duty free pack of gum and a bottle of water.

They just train their cashiers to ask, and the public is well trained to fork it over

Of course they would - as do the cashiers, as evidenced by the numerous people saying this every single time it's brought up.

Why people insist on saving trivial levels of privacy in this enormously connected world I have no idea, but to each their own.

Originally Posted by dddc (Post 23121756)
I always thought the airline got some sort of commission for the sales their pax made - duty free items or not. I thought there was a big hoo-ha about Ryanair wanting to increase it's cut of airside sales or else it was going to pull out of (yet another) airport.

While I have nothing to back up the theory, I see no logical reason why airlines would get a cut from retail sales in the airport. To be paid commission you generally have to provide something to the business paying that commission. BA, for example, provides absolutely nothing to the stores at Heathrow to warrant receiving commission (as obviously BA has no way of restricting passengers using the shops nor can realistically move airports)

ComputerCommuter Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Originally it was to show who was entitled to duty free booze and cigarettes but its mainly data collection for statistics nowadays. Surveys basically - who buys what vs destination, spending habits, EU vs non-EU etc etc

There is still an element of duty free compliance but for sweets, newspapers and non-duty free items it's data collection.

adrianjc32 Jun 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Nimrod1965 Jul 1, 2014 4:55 am

Deleted

evanderm Jul 1, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 23121994)
The law.

To which particular law might you be referring?

If law school has taught me anything, it's that "the law" is never black and white. It could be argued that by requesting the boarding pass, I am voluntarily surrendering my personal information and they can use anything I hand to them for any purpose internally.

Wong Jnr Jul 1, 2014 4:04 pm

It's a VAT thing. I used to work for a retailer who had airside shops and you need to know the percentage of EU and non-EU passengers as depending on what VAT scheme you have agreed with HMRC the retailer still needs to pay the 'deemed' VAT to HMRC based on EU sales.