FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Boarding Pass for shopping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1590076-boarding-pass-shopping.html)

Manx Flyer Jun 30, 2014 2:30 am

Boarding Pass for shopping

Did we ever get to the bottom of the discussion about why shops needed to scan boarding passes when buying things? Just bought some Skittles at LCY and when asked for my boarding card I asked why?

They replied 'company policy' so I asked what they were going to do with the data, to which they said "we don't use it" so I said no then. They still sold be the Skittles!

Is it just a mindless response or am I missing something? If it was about them pocketing VAT surely they should say so?

Cheers

Manx Flyer

clubman Jun 30, 2014 2:35 am

Always assumed it was to make sure you were actually traveling?

britishchris Jun 30, 2014 2:47 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 23118423)

But you have to show your BP to get through to security? The odds are quite low that someone without a BP would be able to get through, though I'm sure it has happened in the past.

clubman Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Originally Posted by britishchris (Post 23118456)
The odds are quite low that someone without a BP would be able to get through

Staff...

bioblot Jun 30, 2014 2:52 am

I'm sure checkout staff at Boots or wherever aren't doing extra security screening, it must be something to do with tax.

chris1979 Jun 30, 2014 2:52 am

There is no requirement to show BP.

I have a laugh with the lady at WH Smith every time I am there as I have often refused and am still sold everything.

She thinks that the company uses it for MI purposes but I told her that I don't see how I as customer benefit from it, so started to refuse. There are no issues with buying things without the BP.

chris1979 Jun 30, 2014 2:54 am

Originally Posted by bioblot (Post 23118467)
I'm sure checkout staff at Boots or wherever aren't doing extra security screening, it must be something to do with tax.

No. As just posted. There's no difference for sake of my WH Smith purchases whether I travel to EDI or FRA.

lhrsfo Jun 30, 2014 2:58 am

If you are going outside the EU, there's no VAT. in other words, with VAT-inclusive prices, the shop gets more money. Let's say you get some earphones from Dixons for £12. If you are staying in the EU, then £10 goes to Dixons and £2 to HMRC. if you are leaving the EU, then all £12 goes to Dixons. The bp is evidence of export.

pipsi Jun 30, 2014 3:25 am

I also thought it was to make sure the pax is eligible to buy certain items such as duty free booze or cigarettes.

tangey Jun 30, 2014 3:26 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 23118423)

Because if you are not flying, you can't eat skittles ?

chris1979 Jun 30, 2014 3:43 am

Duty free is different scenario.

Skittles / water / newspaper / Airliners World at WH Smith does not need a BP even though they make it out that it's a requirement. It's a battle I've fought and won and as said, now have a giggle over with the nice lady at LCY WH Smith every time I am there.

Cassie55 Jun 30, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 23118464)
Staff...

Staff can buy from airside shops.

aldaniti Jun 30, 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 23118571)
Duty free is different scenario.

Skittles / water / newspaper / Airliners World at WH Smith does not need a BP even though they make it out that it's a requirement. It's a battle I've fought and won and as said, now have a giggle over with the nice lady at LCY WH Smith every time I am there.

I have always wondered about this waste of time and energy when I buy a bottle of water "boarding pass please" or "where are you travelling to?"

So called Duty Free (although the stuff is still cheaper on t'internet) purchases I can understand the request but not for a bottle of water or a pack of tictacs etc..

Lee_Again Jun 30, 2014 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Cassie55 (Post 23118873)
Staff can buy from airside shops.

Including duty free??

I always thought the BP entitled you to purchase goods at duty free prices. My understanding is that all goods can be purchased regardless of destination but dual pricing is effectively in place and the boarding card allows for the cheaper (if applicable) price to be charged. You'll often see 'VAT free price' on labels. This is particularly noticeable for high tax items like cigarettes and other tabaco products.

In terms of staff training it's far easier to say 'scan the BP every time' than it is to expect a non tax accountant to understand the rules. This works for cigarettes but is clearly daft for Skittles. However, it is pretty accurate, simple to understand and cheap to implement.

jlsw7 Jun 30, 2014 6:53 am

They are usually satisfied if you just given them the (a) flight number, so it isn't satisfactory proof of anything. I always wondered if the airline gets a commission.