Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about BA1 and pre clearance for USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about BA1 and pre clearance for USA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Old thread but did not want to start another:

Flying on BA 1 in a few days and will for the first time have hold luggage (golf clubs. golf trip). What is the procedure at SNN considering I have Global entry? Does this mean I have to go to normal desk and clear immigration and identify bag? Therefore losing GE privileges? Or where is the bag identification done?

Also I am connecting from EDI, does this mean I have to go back to check in to get invitations to Pilots Restaurant or is that all done by BP?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
You just need to show your BP at Pilots to get the free food and drink.

At SNN you have to go through a full security check anyway and with Global Entry you still have to hand the receipt over at the desk. I wasn't asked to identify my bag last time though, but it still saves you a few mins of being asked questions.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chistery
You just need to show your BP at Pilots to get the free food and drink.

At SNN you have to go through a full security check anyway and with Global Entry you still have to hand the receipt over at the desk. I wasn't asked to identify my bag last time though, but it still saves you a few mins of being asked questions.
Thanks.

So is the security check before immigration?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Thanks.

So is the security check before immigration?
yes that’s correct. Security first then through the duty free shop, to the left and down to immigration.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are 4 GE terminals on the back wall of the immigration hall and a sign at the tensa barriers pointing the way - the other way is to the business and economy way. There is usually someone at a podium pointing people the right way after a quick check they have the blue customs card - which yiu wont need as your GE.

. Once you have got the receipts you get called to whichever desk is free - even if other people are waiting - and get shown the picture of your bags.

All very slick.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as for Pilots at LCY you can get one main dish and 2 drinks - including champagne - or one main a drink and an extra side dish.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I didn't think much of Pilots. Usually head to Pret for a Flat White and a snack.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw I posted on page one the process but it has since changed so to update

1. Get off plane and follow route around the security (ignore the BA1 waiting area prior to to security. Am not even sure why it's still there*)
2. Security - there is a BP check where they filter out those needing SSSS. Security is shoes off.
3. Pass through Duty Free Shop. They have some lovely Irish Gin!
4. Immigration hall - with tensa barriers separating GE and Business and Y passengers. Select appropriate route ut there is usually a staffer checking BPs to direct you. **
5. Clear the immigration Officers including being shown pics of bags. GE gets waved over when they see you waiting.
6. Exit through the doors and you are in the departure gate area ready to reboard once the Crew have been processed.
7. On arrival you are domestic at JFK so follow the signs for exit / baggage claim.

* Previously if you had bags they asked you to wait until given the all clear by an airport staffer and you could then go through security and immigration. The DF shop is fairly new and so slows people down making the wait unnecessary.

** for those needing the blue customs form they are available at the BA1 departing gate at LCY which has been gate 22 the last 2 times I've done it but can obviously change
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
1. Get off plane and follow route around the security (ignore the BA1 waiting area prior to to security. Am not even sure why it's still there*)
It is there but I think the waiting area being refereed to is post security now. Previously security used to take place in the immigration hall and the waiting area is just outside that on the right side. Now you go through main security which is before the duty free shop. After duty free you go down to immigration and the waiting area is still there on the right before you enter the hall. I am not sure if they even use it now (?), it may be that they are usually quick enough that they just push you straight in to immigration even if you have a bag.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Ok brief summary of what will happen (ignoring when US soil technically and physically starts) baed on my recollection when I did the Shannon Shuffle

You will check in as normal at LCY, As you are all OW they will tags your bags to Toronto. Check-in staff will ask if you have ESTA (but will see from their system if you have or not and if not you won't be allowed on the plane). The staff at Gate 24 (the lounge) will give you the US customs form to complete - fill it in there.

At SNN you get off and then redo security and then pass through normal US immigration (passport check and finger prints etc). As you have bags you will be told to wait until hand bag only passengers only are screened - they need this time to process your bags.

The CBP agent will show a photo of your baggage for you to confirm they are yours (or not) and ask you questions re any food etc you may have.

On arrival at JFK you will be in the domestic part of the terminal (so actually on US soil ) and will make your own way (landside) to T8 for your AA flight.
Fingerprints???

is this a joke?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Fingerprints???

is this a joke?
US immigration always involves a fingerprint scan.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I saw I posted on page one the process but it has since changed so to update

2. Security - there is a BP check where they filter out those needing SSSS. Security is shoes off.
3. Pass through Duty Free Shop. They have some lovely Irish Gin!
4. Immigration hall - with tensa barriers separating GE and Business and Y passengers. Select appropriate route ut there is usually a staffer checking BPs to direct you. **
5. Clear the immigration Officers including being shown pics of bags. GE gets waved over when they see you waiting.
6. Exit through the doors and you are in the departure gate area ready to reboard once the Crew have been processed.
7. On arrival you are domestic at JFK so follow the signs for exit / baggage claim.

* Previously if you had bags they asked you to wait until given the all clear by an airport staffer and you could then go through security and immigration. The DF shop is fairly new and so slows people down making the wait unnecessary.

** for those needing the blue customs form they are available at the BA1 departing gate at LCY which has been gate 22 the last 2 times I've done it but can obviously change
I can’t remember if I filled in a Blue Customs form when I did the BA1. I know I certainly haven’t done it on my last 3 Miami arrivals and a JFK arrival as the kiosk for non GE prints off the equivalent

The time I did the BA1 everybody with hold baggage needed secondary screening as the paperwork wasn’t done properly at LCY.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SNN doesn’t have the APC machines that US airports have to process passengers hence the need for the customs form if you don’t have GEto give to the CBP officer.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by KARFA
US immigration always involves a fingerprint scan.
I see, can I assume they are scanned for matches then deleted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.