FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The dreaded misused apostrophe... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1566704-dreaded-misused-apostrophe.html)

go_around Apr 6, 2014 3:33 am

The dreaded misused apostrophe...

...to be found in James Hillier's welcome to the latest BAEC newsletter:

"Plus we debate the pros and cons of Silicon Valley's much hyped Google Glass and discover which exercises can banish the effect's of jet lag and stress."

Tut tut.

aceman Apr 6, 2014 3:35 am

there are bigger thing's to worry about

G-BPED Apr 6, 2014 3:37 am

Originally Posted by go_around (Post 22657037)
...to be found in James Hillier's welcome to the latest BAEC newsletter:

"Plus we debate the pros and cons of Silicon Valley's much hyped Google Glass and discover which exercises can banish the effect's of jet lag and stress."

Tut tut.

Dear me, you really need to get out more. It is Sunday mow the lawn :p

Genius1 Apr 6, 2014 3:39 am

I'm with the OP on this. Correct grammar is important. It's disappointing when communications aren't proof read properly.

Oxon Flyer Apr 6, 2014 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 22657051)
Correct grammar is important. It's disappointing when communications aren't proof read properly.

proofread. :p

Joely Apr 6, 2014 3:49 am

Originally Posted by G-BPED (Post 22657045)
Dear me, you really need to get out more. It is Sunday mow the lawn :p

It's raining, might damage the mower

Seat64A Apr 6, 2014 3:49 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 22657042)
there are bigger thing's to worry about

Yes, there are but the OP didn't say there weren't. This forum is full of "not the end of the world" stuff like "Is CW seat x better than seat y?".

I think the OP's observation is interesting. I, too, have noticed a number of errors on ba.com. I think these errors reflect badly on the company.

It makes you wonder if BA bothers to get someone who knows about spelling, punctuation and grammar to check web pages before the pages go online.

pianoamit Apr 6, 2014 3:51 am

I suspect, all Mr Hilliers copy's of Lynne Truss' book may have gone missing...

I just hope that a panda, reading an incorrectly written definition of himself in the dictionary, doesn't kill him in a restaurant when he "eats, shoots, and leaves".

Yes, I'm aware of my use of the Oxford/serial comma, but in this case I believe it makes more sense.

Iamnotlost Apr 6, 2014 3:58 am

Relying too much on the spell checker??
It will all end in tear's.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 6, 2014 4:02 am

It is probably best to be laid back about it (and there are plenty of typos in my postings here), but for people whose first language isn't English it really is right to spend a little time to double check. If you put that sentence through Google Translate, for example, firstly it points out the potential error, but secondly the original version comes back with a slightly different translation to indicate possession or otherwise. Some languages decline the noun form to denote possession, so in Arabic that would convert "effect" into the singular, there could not be more than one effect of jet lag.

DrGee Apr 6, 2014 4:07 am

It was Keith Waterhouse that founded the AAAAA (Association for the Abolition of the Aberrant Apostrophe). It's always good to hear from others that are would be members.

SteveF Apr 6, 2014 4:22 am

Misplaced apostrophes. It drives me banana's :D.

windowontheAside Apr 6, 2014 4:26 am

I really can't understand why anyone would think that simple plurals have apostrophes. But for some reason, it seems to be more and more common, thus ensuring more uncertain folk think it must be some kind of rule.

I've just about given up expecting correct apostrophe usage even in official communications. I'd rather see it disappear altogether over the current random proliferation.

uk1 Apr 6, 2014 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Seat64A (Post 22657081)
Yes, there are but the OP didn't say there weren't. This forum is full of "not the end of the world" stuff like "Is CW seat x better than seat y?".

I think the OP's observation is interesting. I, too, have noticed a number of errors on ba.com. I think these errors reflect badly on the company.

It makes you wonder if BA bothers to get someone who knows about spelling, punctuation and grammar to check web pages before the pages go online.

Quite right!

It's also interesting about how often one receives correction emails compared to before. It is a part of the wider problem of too little education, too little scrutiny and checking, and a breakdown in our society generally. :eek:

Soon BA will start charging people for free stuff and you never know where that might lead. PROFITEERING!

:D ;)

Prospero Apr 6, 2014 4:33 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 22657143)
Misplaced apostrophes. It drives me banana's :D.

:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SA3_11BG4f...er%2527s-a.jpg