The dreaded misused apostrophe...

Old Apr 6, 14, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, M&M
The dreaded misused apostrophe...

...to be found in James Hillier's welcome to the latest BAEC newsletter:

"Plus we debate the pros and cons of Silicon Valley's much hyped Google Glass and discover which exercises can banish the effect's of jet lag and stress."

Tut tut.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
there are bigger thing's to worry about
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Originally Posted by go_around View Post
...to be found in James Hillier's welcome to the latest BAEC newsletter:

"Plus we debate the pros and cons of Silicon Valley's much hyped Google Glass and discover which exercises can banish the effect's of jet lag and stress."

Tut tut.
Dear me, you really need to get out more. It is Sunday mow the lawn
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I'm with the OP on this. Correct grammar is important. It's disappointing when communications aren't proof read properly.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Correct grammar is important. It's disappointing when communications aren't proof read properly.
proofread.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by G-BPED View Post
Dear me, you really need to get out more. It is Sunday mow the lawn
It's raining, might damage the mower
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:49 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
there are bigger thing's to worry about
Yes, there are but the OP didn't say there weren't. This forum is full of "not the end of the world" stuff like "Is CW seat x better than seat y?".

I think the OP's observation is interesting. I, too, have noticed a number of errors on ba.com. I think these errors reflect badly on the company.

It makes you wonder if BA bothers to get someone who knows about spelling, punctuation and grammar to check web pages before the pages go online.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I suspect, all Mr Hilliers copy's of Lynne Truss' book may have gone missing...

I just hope that a panda, reading an incorrectly written definition of himself in the dictionary, doesn't kill him in a restaurant when he "eats, shoots, and leaves".

Yes, I'm aware of my use of the Oxford/serial comma, but in this case I believe it makes more sense.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
Relying too much on the spell checker??
It will all end in tear's.
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is probably best to be laid back about it (and there are plenty of typos in my postings here), but for people whose first language isn't English it really is right to spend a little time to double check. If you put that sentence through Google Translate, for example, firstly it points out the potential error, but secondly the original version comes back with a slightly different translation to indicate possession or otherwise. Some languages decline the noun form to denote possession, so in Arabic that would convert "effect" into the singular, there could not be more than one effect of jet lag.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 6, 14 at 4:09 am
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It was Keith Waterhouse that founded the AAAAA (Association for the Abolition of the Aberrant Apostrophe). It's always good to hear from others that are would be members.
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:22 am

Misplaced apostrophes. It drives me banana's .
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:26 am

I really can't understand why anyone would think that simple plurals have apostrophes. But for some reason, it seems to be more and more common, thus ensuring more uncertain folk think it must be some kind of rule.

I've just about given up expecting correct apostrophe usage even in official communications. I'd rather see it disappear altogether over the current random proliferation.
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:32 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat64A View Post
Yes, there are but the OP didn't say there weren't. This forum is full of "not the end of the world" stuff like "Is CW seat x better than seat y?".

I think the OP's observation is interesting. I, too, have noticed a number of errors on ba.com. I think these errors reflect badly on the company.

It makes you wonder if BA bothers to get someone who knows about spelling, punctuation and grammar to check web pages before the pages go online.
Quite right!

It's also interesting about how often one receives correction emails compared to before. It is a part of the wider problem of too little education, too little scrutiny and checking, and a breakdown in our society generally.

Soon BA will start charging people for free stuff and you never know where that might lead. PROFITEERING!

Old Apr 6, 14, 4:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Misplaced apostrophes. It drives me banana's .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: