FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   DYKWIA - The 2014 thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1545113-dykwia-2014-thread.html)

paulwuk Jan 26, 2014 6:51 am

Originally Posted by olybeast (Post 22224726)
Reverse DYKWIA.

My +1 and I travelling F back from DME to connect to BHD. It was delayed so we missed the connection went to get a hotel for the night the BA computer monkey gave us the holiday inn and a hoppa bus ticket! In F! (meanwhile I heard a chap beside us in the J queue got the sofitel.) I said but he got the sofitel and she said that was for business class travellers so I said we were travelling in First! in a DYKWIA voice to be fair. Her response? "We don't get many teachers travelling in First" My mouth fell open :O
(my +1 in polite conversation mentioned that she had to be home first thing for work (teacher))

....... If i hadn't have been so full of LPGS I would have:
1. said we don't get many judgmental idiots in the F customer service. (although that is a lie)
2. asked for her manager and then their manager and then their manager about it. (Got avios compo in the end ;) )

How did she know you were a teacher?

I do have to sympathise with some dykwiaers, as there are so many assumptions that ba make, unless you are forceful in some cases you don't get what you have paid for.

I find the easiest solution in irrops is to book yourself into Sofitel and claim it back.

Of course in your case they just assumed you were a peasant ;)

layz Jan 26, 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by olybeast (Post 22224774)
Nope, a regular room. As far as I know anyway. I don't stay there much because my +1 is only a teacher.

You've stayed there at least the same amount of times as I have, that was also because I needed to get the first flight to MAN :)

I've stayed in the LGW a few times too although I mostly use Hiltons.

Such a weird thing to say basing class of travel on job title when she could have easily been able to look it up on her computer.

layz Jan 26, 2014 7:00 am

Originally Posted by at240 (Post 22224780)
This thread is quite revealing of a lot of things, but it is particularly enjoyable to savour the irony of those who decry the DYKWIAs but then tell a tale in which they trump the DYKWIA by revealing their own superior status.

There is a difference. If someone is acting all DYKWIA then it's great to be able to put them in their place if you have a higher status.

Poxball Jan 26, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by layz (Post 22224824)
There is a difference. If someone is acting all DYKWIA then it's great to be able to put them in their place if you have a higher status.

It really is Top Trumps.

"You are being very arrogant by intimating that you are very important so let me correct you by telling you how very more important I am". :rolleyes:

at240 Jan 26, 2014 7:15 am

... thereby revealing that they Did Not Know Who You Are? ;)

Beating them at their own game merely drags you right down to their level.

Paralytic Jan 26, 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 22224037)
Approach the desks at the same time as another guy. As you get to the queue you get asked Fist or Business in an efficient way, the guy next to me said no but he was a frequent travelling card holder! gold actually. I just said yes.

I'd choose Business.

Final 3 Greens Jan 26, 2014 7:23 am

How did you know he was arab btw?

Because he was speaking Arabic with a strong KSA central province accent.

Are you getting the point?

Sometimes it is better to stop digging the hole.

haasha Jan 26, 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens (Post 22224924)

How did you know he was arab btw?

Because he was speaking Arabic with a strong KSA central province accent.

Are you getting the point?

Sometimes it is better to stop digging the hole.

You are talking to ghosts! :eek:

olybeast Jan 26, 2014 7:44 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 22224792)
How did she know you were a teacher?

Conversation went:
She can put us on the first flight to belfast in the morning and my +1 said yes I need the first flight because I need to be at work in the morning. Ah what do you do? I'm a teacher.....Heres the holiday inn and hoppa bus, But we're First!, don't get many teachers in first.

:O

HilFly Jan 26, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by olybeast (Post 22224726)
Reverse DYKWIA.

My +1 and I travelling F back from DME to connect to BHD. It was delayed so we missed the connection went to get a hotel for the night the BA computer monkey gave us the holiday inn and a hoppa bus ticket! In F! (meanwhile I heard a chap beside us in the J queue got the sofitel.) I said but he got the sofitel and she said that was for business class travellers so I said we were travelling in First! in a DYKWIA voice to be fair. Her response? "We don't get many teachers travelling in First" My mouth fell open :O
(my +1 in polite conversation mentioned that she had to be home first thing for work (teacher))

....... If i hadn't have been so full of LPGS I would have:
1. said we don't get many judgmental idiots in the F customer service. (although that is a lie)
2. asked for her manager and then their manager and then their manager about it. (Got avios compo in the end ;) )

BA computer monkey??????

Joely Jan 26, 2014 9:12 am

Thread locked in 3....2....1.....

razorbite Jan 26, 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by HilFly (Post 22225350)
BA computer monkey??????

:td::td::td: I too found this to be derogatory. Is it because the BA computer operator was maybe working class and so deserving of the term "monkey" ?

Gshumway Jan 26, 2014 9:32 am

Originally Posted by razorbite (Post 22225442)
:td::td::td: I too found this to be derogatory. Is it because the BA computer operator was maybe working class and so deserving of the term "monkey" ?

Don't you know, BA has monkeys inside their computers to run them on a treadmill.

mario Jan 26, 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by at240 (Post 22224894)

... thereby revealing that they Did Not Know Who You Are? ;)

Beating them at their own game merely drags you right down to their level.

Precisely my point a few posts back. It looks however that some people are so up their own ar**s that they don't even see this. All very sad, really.

Greenpen Jan 26, 2014 10:16 am

I'm a teacher.