FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   DYKWIA - The 2014 thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1545113-dykwia-2014-thread.html)

Tobias-UK Jan 26, 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 22225526)
Precisely my point a few posts back. It looks however that some people are so up their own ar**s that they don't even see this. All very sad, really.

So we have hit a nerve? The irony, eh?

mario Jan 26, 2014 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 22225749)

Originally Posted by mario (Post 22225526)
Precisely my point a few posts back. It looks however that some people are so up their own ar**s that they don't even see this. All very sad, really.

So we have hit a nerve? The irony, eh?

I'm not sure if I follow. I just don't get into other people's business. I feel massively embarrassed if I get any special treatment and it would never cross my mind to rub it in other people's faces.

Maybe that's how I just was brought up.

Tobias-UK Jan 26, 2014 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 22225763)
... I just don't get into other people's business...

I wholeheartedly agree, I'm the same. I'd have much preferred the DYKWIA had kept his nose out of my business. I found it embarrassing, if I'm honest. Being subjected to that pre-boarding exchange wasn't at all pleasant.

But this thread is not about that, it's a lighthearted topic about the peculiar actions of certain anonymous individuals that regular travellers might find amusing/entertaining.

KARFA Jan 26, 2014 11:25 am

It would seem that those posting their stories were precisely the people who did not go around waving cards, policing boarding queues based on how others dressed, or being unreasonably demanding to airline staff because of their perceived status. However, the common thread is that in the stories the posters were challenged by someone who did act in that way, and therefore sometimes reacted to make that challenger think about their actions and hopefully be more sensible in the future.

What’s not to like? :)

EDIT: btw I found many of the stories hilarious.

olybeast Jan 26, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 22225683)
I'm a teacher.

Don't tell BA during irrops you will be treated as an economy passenger even though they have access to your booking at the click of a button. This is 100% my experienced based on one encounter.

CreativeBill Jan 26, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 22226032)
What’s not to like? :)

For me, some of these stories border on the dystopian themes of Lord of the Flies.

Perhaps that should be Lord of the Flyers? :rolleyes:

BlueThroughCrimp Jan 26, 2014 11:56 am

Originally Posted by olybeast (Post 22226052)
Don't tell BA during irrops you will be treated as an economy passenger even though they have access to your booking at the click of a button. This is 100% my experienced based on one encounter.

Maybe they did look at the ticket class, and the business class/Sofitel gentleman was in full fare J, while you were in a discount F?

exilencfc Jan 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 22225683)
I'm a teacher.

I'm sorely tempted to say i'm a Arab monkey the way this thread is going

corporate-wage-slave Jan 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Just to explain Oly's regretable and highly misfortunate stay in - horrors of horrors - a Holiday Inn (not the Express version either): rightly or wrongly they tend to look at your next flight, not your last flight. I'm would get Rennaisance if irrop'd back to Newcastle, Sofitel if Newcastle to CE / CW land. Note conditional tense, I actually bunk off to Hilton T5 and send BA the bill, which somehow has always been under £100.

Gomac Jan 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc (Post 22226724)
I'm sorely tempted to say i'm a Arab monkey the way this thread is going

LOL :D

bizorbetter Jan 26, 2014 1:42 pm

this was at LHR? best thing about the holiday inn is the awesome pub (cant recall the name sorry) at the entrance road.....short walk and great pub food! Nice outdoor area.....mmmmmm Gamon steak and an ale.......beats sofitel :D

BadgerBoi Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens (Post 22223756)
Joely, The principle is give them a chance to prove they are worthy of respect, this one obviously wasn't.

Nor was the one in the incident that you first commented upon - not by a long shot. People earn respect, they don't just grow it.

Final 3 Greens Jan 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22227226)
Nor was the one in the incident that you first commented upon - not by a long shot. People earn respect, they don't just grow it.

If you read my post #80, you will find that I did not comment on an incident, but replied to mr tibb's confusion about some 'strange' wordlwide beliefs.

Funnily enough, I agree that people earn respect, but I don't sign up to the principle that 'I' automatically have it and others have to earn it, which seems to be the position that many people take.

When I grew up, many of the older generation had fought in either WW1 or WW2 and we tended to have an inbuilt respect for them (and those who never came home.)

TBH, I don't have a lot of time for road warrior types, who seem to demand respect for drinking for England, as opposed to fighting for her, but YMMV.

BadgerBoi Jan 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens (Post 22229130)
If you read my post #80, you will find that I did not comment on an incident, but replied to mr tibb's confusion about some 'strange' wordlwide beliefs.

And if you had read my post you would understand that I was commenting on your post that chided Joely for not paying the rude middle-aged man respect when the old guy was being a bully. You certainly did comment on an incident no matter what your back-pedal follow-up in #80 might or might not have said.

Final 3 Greens Jan 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22229201)
And if you had read my post you would understand that I was commenting on your post that chided Joely for not paying the rude middle-aged man respect when the old guy was being a bully. You certainly did comment on an incident no matter what your back-pedal follow-up in #80 might or might not have said.

May I suggest that you are a little clearer in your comments, as my comment to Joely was my second comment, not my first.

I did not chide her, I commented that the guy didn't deserve any respect.