FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1537649-ex-mainland-europe-travel-planning-guide.html)

roughlad Jun 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Booked my first ex Eu trip. My return is xxx-LHR -- LCY-AMS, and will not take the last leg. As bags will be labelled to LHR, could I request they be labelled to a domestic connection?

Cheers

sapper188 Jun 13, 2014 1:56 pm

If I book bru-lhr-phx return on AA.com but the flights are all BA, do I have to join the aa advantage club? I want to earn BA avios/tier points.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by roughlad (Post 23020847)
Booked my first ex Eu trip. My return is xxx-LHR -- LCY-AMS, and will not take the last leg. As bags will be labelled to LHR, could I request they be labelled to a domestic connection?

Now that I doubt, you'd be asking for trouble there, particularly if xxx is in the USA. You may be able to get the agent to do it, but I suspect you will have to recheck them in London.

Originally Posted by sapper188 (Post 23029717)
If I book bru-lhr-phx return on AA.com but the flights are all BA, do I have to join the aa advantage club? I want to earn BA avios/tier points.

Absolutely not! Indeed if you create an AA account you have the risk of it shadowing you for the rest of your life! Just put your BA number at the end of the flight selection process, just after you enter your name for the first time. There's a drop down box for BAEC, then put your BAEC number alongside. It almost immediately picks up your status, from a seat selection point of view.

The AA initial screen almost invites you to join AA, just select the greyed out box below that to book without logging in. When you have entered all your details I suggest you select the Hold option, rather than paying immediately. This generates an AA locator which allows you to double check everything for a period of at least 24 hours, which is very useful.

If this is in the very near future, note that a US Airways booking gets double Avios.

sapper188 Jun 14, 2014 5:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23029783)
Now that I doubt, you'd be asking for trouble there, particularly if xxx is in the USA. You may be able to get the agent to do it, but I suspect you will have to recheck them in London.

Absolutely not! Indeed if you create an AA account you have the risk of it shadowing you for the rest of your life! Just put your BA number at the end of the flight selection process, just after you enter your name for the first time. There's a drop down box for BAEC, then put your BAEC number alongside. It almost immediately picks up your status, from a seat selection point of view.

The AA initial screen almost invites you to join AA, just select the greyed out box below that to book without logging in. When you have entered all your details I suggest you select the Hold option, rather than paying immediately. This generates an AA locator which allows you to double check everything for a period of at least 24 hours, which is very useful.

If this is in the very near future, note that a US Airways booking gets double Avios.

Thank you CWS this blog is so enlightening didn't know there was so much in booking flights. We have always paid WTP and upgraded with Avios to CW but never any availability these days and of course only WTP tier points so for leisure travellers it is sometimes impossible to reach Silver which we want to achieve asap.

TravellerFrequently Jun 14, 2014 5:15 am

My recent experience of HEL has been busses on departure from the gates that are down the escalators near the large Finnair lounge and sometimes on arrival too.

sapper188 Jun 14, 2014 5:31 am

Quick TP run

Has anyone done a TP run where they needed 420 points, we want to do one that involves few airports and could spend 10 days in USA, AZ or CO. I am sure in time I maybe able to work it all out but maybe someone has done this and can share their experience. We live in UK an hour from LHR.

TravellerFrequently Jun 14, 2014 5:34 am

sapper188, have a look at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

manymany Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm after a little re-assurance. Booked my second ex-AMS trip to BKK; first time back in April I had a night in AMS before the AMS-LHR-BKK. This time, I will be doing a back-to-back turn around, taking the first 6:50am 767 from LHR then coming straight back on it starting my BKK trip.

I just can't get my head around the fact I walk off the plane, wait in gate area and then get back on with a boarding pass picked up in LHR and not scanned until boarding. Is it really that simple?! It feels like it could all go wrong!

p.s i only take hand luggage

corporate-wage-slave Jun 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by manymany (Post 23043934)
I'm after a little re-assurance. Booked my second ex-AMS trip to BKK; first time back in April I had a night in AMS before the AMS-LHR-BKK. This time, I will be doing a back-to-back turn around, taking the first 6:50am 767 from LHR then coming straight back on it starting my BKK trip.

I just can't get my head around the fact I walk off the plane, wait in gate area and then get back on with a boarding pass picked up in LHR and not scanned until boarding. Is it really that simple?! It feels like it could all go wrong!

p.s i only take hand luggage

In your case it may not be quite that simple, 767s almost certainly won't go to the end of the D pier like most deparures to the UK, but use another lower numbered gate. In which case, don't worry, it is still very simple, there is just a U turn around security and back again. Your total distance walked on Dutch soil/concrete will be around 10 metres.

Had you been on a A320 family aircraft it really would be as simple as your post made out, hence why it is a popular option.

manymany Jun 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks C-W-S, thats great.

Tobias-UK Jun 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sapper188 (Post 23032665)
Has anyone done a TP run where they needed 420 points, we want to do one that involves few airports and could spend 10 days in USA, AZ or CO. I am sure in time I maybe able to work it all out but maybe someone has done this and can share their experience. We live in UK an hour from LHR.

I often do LAS-DEN in F on AA, via LAX. It gives 120 TPs each way - price? Typically about $550-$650 round trip, I suspect it would be a similar price in the opposite direction.

You might be able to get a deal from LAS to, for example, SFO (again via LAX) to make up the difference.

stifle Jun 21, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23029783)

The "hold" option won't normally be available for itineraries involving non-AA/US airlines and/or travel outside the USA.

Frequentflyer99 Jun 21, 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 23072133)
The "hold" option won't normally be available for itineraries involving non-AA/US airlines and/or travel outside the USA.

It is definitely available for AA flights outside the USA, but is not offered if there is any non BA flight in the itinerary

stifle Jun 21, 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 (Post 23072642)
It is definitely available for AA flights outside the USA, but is not offered if there is any non BA flight in the itinerary

I am very doubtful that is correct.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 23072767)
I am very doubtful that is correct.

It must at least depend on your definition of "outside United States". I have done a Hold on services to Bahamas and Canada for instance, something I've done very recently. I must admit I can't think of one involving a European sector. But Hold definitely works for at least some flights originating from or terminating outwith the USA.