FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New moving map (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1490625-new-moving-map.html)

Greenpen Aug 3, 2013 3:50 am

New moving map

Sorry if I have missed this in other posts, but the moving map has changed.

On a MAD - LHR flight yesterday on a A320 there was a new version of the moving map. Screen views change and it is difficult to explain the differences but here goes:

simulated view from the cockpit;
information about time, speed, height etc running along the bottom of the map rather than a page of their own;
but such information sometimes (rarely) as a page;
less extensive map so it tends to focus on the route rather than show Japan;
but small sub-screen pf world with day/night appears from time to time;
graphic show plane whooshing on a green arrow across the land from different angles.

A more entertaining version.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 3, 2013 3:52 am

Hi,

I have seen this display on several of the short haul flights ( usually for me the domestics LHR-EDI) recently. I do not know how many aircraft have this new system.

Regards

TBS

corporate-wage-slave Aug 3, 2013 4:10 am

It's the Rockwell Collins Airshow (I think the 4200 series). It's been on some short haul for a while now, certainly a year, maybe 2 years (?). It is certainly more interesting than the older version which painfully shows where Dar es Salaam is in relation to LHR to NCL, but it lacks some granularity at lower scale. But yes, a lot more interesting, with loads of different views. It's also on the new IFE on long haul.

bjorns Aug 3, 2013 4:16 am

I think it is the Rockwell Collins system, seen on the newer A319/20/21's.

It has been around for a few years, but is probly becoming more common now, with more new aircraft replacing older ones.

bjorns

GVA Aug 3, 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 21207290)
It's the Rockwell Collins Airshow (I think the 4200 series). It's been on some short haul for a while now, certainly a year, maybe 2 years (?).

It's been on the 321s for a good 5 years now.

Them appearing on 320s must coincide with freshly factory delivered ones that have made their way into the BA fleet recently.

Swanhunter Aug 3, 2013 4:30 am

At least 3-4 years on the newer A320 too.

G-BUSI Aug 3, 2013 4:38 am

Roughly the A320's from G-EUUU onwards and the 3 A321's from G-EUXK onwards were fitted with this system from delivery (late 2007 onwards).

BA6501 Aug 3, 2013 10:08 am

New moving map

Do the older A321s have any form of moving map? On all my flights it's been off.

WhitePlains Aug 3, 2013 10:50 am

I like the new map. ^

FoxtrotOscar Aug 3, 2013 11:46 am

Does the new one still have a confusing stansted in Kent?

G-BUSI Aug 3, 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 21208289)
Do the older A321s have any form of moving map? On all my flights it's been off.

All the "original" BA 321's (G-EUXC through G-EUXM) have moving maps. Cannot speak for the ex BMI ones.

BA6501 Aug 3, 2013 6:24 pm

Yep, all of my BA A321 (G-EUX) have had the maps off for some reason.

The ex-bmi ones have maps, in yet another style, quite cool though! But I can't quite figure out why the line is always completely crooked as if we were going left and right, up and down all the time :confused:

IAN-UK Aug 4, 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 21210170)
The ex-bmi ones have maps, in yet another style, quite cool though! But I can't quite figure out why the line is always completely crooked as if we were going left and right, up and down all the time :confused:

With a cute little BMI aircraft flying the roller-coaster route. I'm told the zigzags are due to amplification of deviations detected, and adjustments made, by the flight management system: the cockpit is a champagne-free zone.

exilencfc Aug 4, 2013 2:09 pm

I've seen one which had a number of shipwrecks marked on it. Very random

BA6501 Aug 4, 2013 2:13 pm

On BA?! Never seen that on any aircraft...