New moving map

Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:50 am
Original Poster

New moving map

Sorry if I have missed this in other posts, but the moving map has changed.

On a MAD - LHR flight yesterday on a A320 there was a new version of the moving map. Screen views change and it is difficult to explain the differences but here goes:

simulated view from the cockpit;
information about time, speed, height etc running along the bottom of the map rather than a page of their own;
but such information sometimes (rarely) as a page;
less extensive map so it tends to focus on the route rather than show Japan;
but small sub-screen pf world with day/night appears from time to time;
graphic show plane whooshing on a green arrow across the land from different angles.

A more entertaining version.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have seen this display on several of the short haul flights ( usually for me the domestics LHR-EDI) recently. I do not know how many aircraft have this new system.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's the Rockwell Collins Airshow (I think the 4200 series). It's been on some short haul for a while now, certainly a year, maybe 2 years (?). It is certainly more interesting than the older version which painfully shows where Dar es Salaam is in relation to LHR to NCL, but it lacks some granularity at lower scale. But yes, a lot more interesting, with loads of different views. It's also on the new IFE on long haul.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:16 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I think it is the Rockwell Collins system, seen on the newer A319/20/21's.

It has been around for a few years, but is probly becoming more common now, with more new aircraft replacing older ones.

bjorns
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:28 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's the Rockwell Collins Airshow (I think the 4200 series). It's been on some short haul for a while now, certainly a year, maybe 2 years (?).
It's been on the 321s for a good 5 years now.

Them appearing on 320s must coincide with freshly factory delivered ones that have made their way into the BA fleet recently.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least 3-4 years on the newer A320 too.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Roughly the A320's from G-EUUU onwards and the 3 A321's from G-EUXK onwards were fitted with this system from delivery (late 2007 onwards).
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
New moving map

Do the older A321s have any form of moving map? On all my flights it's been off.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
I like the new map. ^
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does the new one still have a confusing stansted in Kent?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BA6501
Do the older A321s have any form of moving map? On all my flights it's been off.
All the "original" BA 321's (G-EUXC through G-EUXM) have moving maps. Cannot speak for the ex BMI ones.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, all of my BA A321 (G-EUX) have had the maps off for some reason.

The ex-bmi ones have maps, in yet another style, quite cool though! But I can't quite figure out why the line is always completely crooked as if we were going left and right, up and down all the time
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BA6501
The ex-bmi ones have maps, in yet another style, quite cool though! But I can't quite figure out why the line is always completely crooked as if we were going left and right, up and down all the time
With a cute little BMI aircraft flying the roller-coaster route. I'm told the zigzags are due to amplification of deviations detected, and adjustments made, by the flight management system: the cockpit is a champagne-free zone.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I've seen one which had a number of shipwrecks marked on it. Very random
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On BA?! Never seen that on any aircraft...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.