Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most inconsiderate passengers ever?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Most inconsiderate passengers ever?

We sat on the ground at LHR waiting for a family of four to turn up as they had lost a piece of their hand luggage somewhere in the terminal.
Doors finally shut and then the family decided that they wanted off the plane to go and find their luggage.
After a discussion with the cabin crew they decided to stay on the plane.
After a while ( sitting at the gate) the captain announced we would be there a bit longer waiting for our takeoff slot.
The family then took this opportunity to decide that they really did want to get off and after more discussion they were finally taken off the plane. Their hold luggage was located, offloaded, and we left two hours late.

Many passengers would have handled the family very differently from BA....

PS am I entitled to compensation, Avios...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:23 am

Perhaps the family in question should pay the compensation claims for the rest of the passengers...

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done legally if a passenger is insistent they want to get off.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Europcar Privilege Elite, HHonours Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by muscat
lost a piece of their hand luggage somewhere in the terminal.
I thought luggage was not to be left unattended in the Terminal and would be dealt with appropriately if found with no owners!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:48 am

The most inconsiderate passenger I met was on a very empty flight to Budapest in the early 1990s.
He woke as we started dropping for landing and the seatbelt lights had come on. He decided he needed to go to the bathroom but was ushered back to his seat by a couple of cabin crew - so to get his revenge, he just stood up again and started to urinate.

Inconsiderate oh yes, but I don't think he worked out that he would be meeting with the Hungarian Military Police on landing - never saw him again....
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Hawkwind1966
The most inconsiderate passenger I met was on a very empty flight to Budapest in the early 1990s.
He woke as we started dropping for landing and the seatbelt lights had come on. He decided he needed to go to the bathroom but was ushered back to his seat by a couple of cabin crew - so to get his revenge, he just stood up again and started to urinate.

Inconsiderate oh yes, but I don't think he worked out that he would be meeting with the Hungarian Military Police on landing - never saw him again....
Depardieu? Why don't airlines give Catheter bags (is that a term?) with the sick bags given the number of old, young and incontinent that must be stopped every day from using the toilet..... Just a thought!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Some people pick their moments indeed.

I was on a KLM plane last year and, just as we were turning onto the active runway for takeoff, the couple beside me (I was in the aisle seat) tried to urge me out of my seat, as the lady by the window wanted to visit the lavatory.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:06 am

I've often wondered this. You wake up just as the seatbelt sign comes on. Desperate for the toilet - it can be well over 30 mins from sign on to sign off, what you supposed to do wet yourself?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by lizban
I've often wondered this. You wake up just as the seatbelt sign comes on. Desperate for the toilet - it can be well over 30 mins from sign on to sign off, what you supposed to do wet yourself?
There's always some grace period before the crew starts going after you. If the seatbelt sign really did just turn on at that moment, you can make a quick run to the bathroom without anyone getting angry at you. I suspect what you mentioned is a pretty rare event.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Perhaps the family in question should pay the compensation claims for the rest of the passengers...

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done legally if a passenger is insistent they want to get off.
Until the aircraft first moves under it's own power. At this point the law protects the other passengers. Obviously common sence applies. An extremely nervous (obvious to all and sundry) passenger could well become a safety hazard once in the air if 'exposed' to any more of the 'torture' of being strapped to a coke can projectile.

Oh the joys of 'the Law'. Lets not get on to ramp and gate hold in the US
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Me, I changed my flight... and my regular seats are not available... So guess who will be moved once I get to the airport.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:46 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawkwind1966

He was not inconsiderate. It could have been number two's.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by lizban
Being of a "certain age" I understand that completely.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I flew LGW-AMS yesterday. Whilst waiting in the First lounge I spotted a man filling his bag up with some sort of snack from the breakfast offering (in yellow bags, I don't know what they were). When I got on board he was the only other passenger in my row in CE (on the other side of the aisle). Way after we'd been told to turn off electronics he suddenly decided he wanted to make a phone call. As the CC started the safety demonstration, they asked him to end the call and he just gestured as if to say "I acknowledge you but am not following your instruction". Only after two more requests did he grumpily hang up. However I was watching him and he proceeded to send some text messages after this. Once airborne the food was served and he complained that he had special religious requirements. The CC explained that he had to order a special meal in advance and he claimed that he didn't normally have to (which is patent bollox, and as he was in the First lounge he must have been a GCH, and so has made enough flights to know). All in all a thoroughly unlikeable bloke!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:24 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Me, I changed my flight... and my regular seats are not available... So guess who will be moved once I get to the airport.
You can get people moved from their assigned seats?

If so, up to what status? What if they are gold, GGL, Prem?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can get people moved from their assigned seats?

If so, up to what status? What if they are gold, GGL, Prem?
This was one of the hidden perks of Diamond Club. The Gold Card Holders could, when checking in online, move the Silver and Blue Card Holders around the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.