FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1482590-premium-economy-worth-gbp-1250-more.html)

drspear Jul 6, 2013 4:31 am

Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

got some flights at end of month, with two options, since over 6 hours allowed to book WTP if I wish

Question I have is it seems you get about 4" more leg room, no flat bed, and no more food or drink, but its 1250 more in price ( about 1500 euro / 2000 usd )

Surely that isn't worth the extra payment ?

Skipcool3 Jul 6, 2013 4:40 am

Errrrr.... How did you get BA Gold?

The seats have at last 7" more space plus it is 2-4-2 on a 747 in WT+ (8) across as opposed to 3-4-3 in WT (10 across)

Club World main catering, smaller usually quieter cabin, and the chance to get bumped up to CW or use miles if available to upgrade. (before airport check-in)

Another option might be to pay for / select an exit seat in WT if available... which should be free as you are a Gold.

How much anything is worth is of course up to the individual...

V10 Jul 6, 2013 4:40 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21048757)
got some flights at end of month, with two options, since over 6 hours allowed to book WTP if I wish

Question I have is it seems you get about 4" more leg room, no flat bed, and no more food or drink, but its 1250 more in price ( about 1500 euro / 2000 usd )

If it's my money, not a chance is it worth that much extra.

Putting the ethics of spending that much of someone else's money aside, if your rules say you're allowed to book it then it may open up the possibility of travel to Club with a paid upgrade or spending some avios.

Padmeister Jul 6, 2013 4:42 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21048757)

Hi drspear

The way you have phrased this I take it work are paying for the trip?

If so then its a no brainer to book WTP, more legroom, smaller quieter cabin and a couple of options from the CW menu for meals etc.

so I am a bit confused with your post :confused:

if its on offer definitely go with WTP :)

Skipcool3 Jul 6, 2013 4:50 am

Considering the balance sheet of an organisation is of course worthy.
If it is cash rich and generating good money, why not.
If "blowing the corporate budget" on things will result in staff cut backs or worse then I would understand your reluctance. I am sure that £1200.00 could be better spent elsewhere...

Action Man Jul 6, 2013 5:17 am

"Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?"
No.

drspear Jul 6, 2013 5:17 am

ok to answer the several points, yes work pay, and yes I have always thought about the balance sheet as if I was travelling on my own spend, same goes for hotels, expense items etc. Its something I have always done.

in answer to how do you get BA gold, I got 2 years from ex BMI diamond club gold, that I got through going to San Fransisco on economy promo ( GBP 450 ABZ FRA SFO ) on a family account so 12k x 3 gave me 36k then a few business trips made me gold

I might try it out this time given the pros mentioned above just to see the difference, but it doesn't sit comfortably with me, my colleagues all take it all the time though to be fair.

also yes am gold and have had the emergency exits booked through this when travelling economy, which is another reason 1250 more seems excessive

Its hard changing from council estate / working class upbringing into the next areas, just the way I have been raised.

Action Man Jul 6, 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21048860)
ok to answer the several points, yes work pay, and yes I have always thought about the balance sheet as if I was travelling on my own spend, same goes for hotels, expense items etc. Its something I have always done.

in answer to how do you get BA gold, I got 2 years from ex BMI diamond club gold, that I got through going to San Fransisco on economy promo ( GBP 450 ABZ FRA SFO ) on a family account so 12k x 3 gave me 36k then a few business trips made me gold

I might try it out this time given the pros mentioned above just to see the difference, but it doesn't sit comfortably with me, my colleagues all take it all the time though to be fair.

also yes am gold and have had the emergency exits booked through this when travelling economy, which is another reason 1250 more seems excessive

Its hard changing from council estate / working class upbringing into the next areas, just the way I have been raised.

I mean to say this in the most gentle possible way, but am I the only one that is inclined to answer YES or NO to this question? We can all post a thousand different methods of reasoning but mostly reach a 2 letter conclusion.

windowontheAside Jul 6, 2013 5:22 am

How long is the flight, and when will you be expected to work? If you have a recovery day built into you schedule it might not make much difference.

I find that WT+ *does* make a significant difference to my journey. I find the seat more comfortable and I can sleep better - especially if I bag a front row, and I feel better the next day. Since most of my clients only pay WT I often pay (out of my own pocket) for an airport upgrade.

One of the biggest advantages is being able to upgrade using Avios to CW if there's availability. Since I earn almost all of my miles for flying through work, I have no issue spending them to upgrade work trips to make things more comfortable. I just wish I flew routes that offered these upgrades more!

V10 Jul 6, 2013 5:30 am

There's nothing wrong with being careful with your expenditure. If you can't realise where the extra value is for the extra cost then it's normal to be sceptical about it (and probably good from a company point of view too). That said if colleagues are doing it then you can do the same with a clear conscience.

By way of a slightly related tale, a company based over on the US west coast I used to work for started allowing people to book "Economy Plus" tickets for long trips. Unfortunately this was based on the US idea of an economy plus service, which is to say a standard economy service with a bit of extra leg room that can be had for buttons on airlines such as United. People took this to mean they could book Premium Economy on airlines like Virgin or BA, where there is a step change in the class of travel and a corresponding step change in the cost of the ticket. Needless to say, the company put a stop to it pretty sharpish.

stewaran Jul 6, 2013 5:33 am

Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

As mentioned uua is the massive benefit!

Of approx 10 flights last year paying for WT+, I flew club on about 8 of them :-)

Which then makes the £1250 a bargain IMO

drspear Jul 6, 2013 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Action Man (Post 21048868)
I mean to say this in the most gentle possible way, but am I the only one that is inclined to answer YES or NO to this question? We can all post a thousand different methods of reasoning but mostly reach a 2 letter conclusion.

well I can see both side, if I am paying for myself on a holiday flight then no its definitely not something I would do.

But its 6hrs 50 minutes, work isn't until the next day, the return flight comes back overnight at 11pm to 6am so a bed type seat could be nice, but again for 1250 I doubt I can justify it to myself.

The other angle being as mentioned by others, colleagues take the "if its offered take it" angle, seemingly prioritising their comfort over company profits in a completely relaxed manner.

So as above will probably try it to find out.

SpurMan Jul 6, 2013 5:48 am

I couldn't justify £1250, not even of company money. If it was CW, then maybe different, but not WT to WT+

drspear Jul 6, 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by stewaran (Post 21048887)
As mentioned uua is the massive benefit!

Of approx 10 flights last year paying for WT+, I flew club on about 8 of them :-)

Which then makes the £1250 a bargain IMO

Out of interest how many avios to from WTP to CW and does it apply to both legs or is this viewed separate please?

aksai oiler Jul 6, 2013 6:09 am

You have one other option, which is to do the airport upgrade from M to W which usually costs £209, depending on the sector :D You still get the TP and Avis but have to apply manually :p

the risk is no availability when you get to the airport, but what the hell