FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1482590-premium-economy-worth-gbp-1250-more.html)

dh01 Jul 6, 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21048890)
well I can see both side, if I am paying for myself on a holiday flight then no its definitely not something I would do.

But its 6hrs 50 minutes, work isn't until the next day, the return flight comes back overnight at 11pm to 6am so a bed type seat could be nice, but again for 1250 I doubt I can justify it to myself.

The other angle being as mentioned by others, colleagues take the "if its offered take it" angle, seemingly prioritising their comfort over company profits in a completely relaxed manner.

So as above will probably try it to find out.

I think the price is a ripoff, for the difference you get from regular economy

SpurMan Jul 6, 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by angatol (Post 21049472)
Of course you'd get the avios, and more of them too. And obviously more TPs. And GF.

But explain all the extra LHR - AMS flights to the company....

angatol Jul 6, 2013 9:17 am

BotB Jul 6, 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21049465)
yeh but don't get the avios that way, and like the terminal 5 flounge :eek:^

<snip>

I am going to try WTP and still keen to know the miles to go to CW if its available, is there a chart or something :confused:

Just asking but why wouldn't you get avios by flying ex EU? You would get more TP's and avios taking that route (especially in J) instead of WT+ from LHR. You would also get to use the Flounge when you arrive in LHR to catch the flight you really want...LHR - ACC. As angatol says £ 1900 for CW ex EU is pretty damn good (just need to buy the ticket from a non UK office).

The avios you need to UuA from WT+ to CW on the (roundtrip) LHR ACC LHR would be 20,000 avios. (difference in avios needed for full redemption which you can check by logging in to your BAEC account and doing a dummy avios booking. 60k for WT+ and 80k for CW in this case).

There is currently no availability for your dates but that could change. Some in Aug. (to check with).

Hope that helps.

drspear Jul 6, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 21049559)
Just asking but why wouldn't you get avios by flying ex EU? You would get more TP's and avios taking that route (especially in J) instead of WT+ from LHR. You would also get to use the Flounge when you arrive in LHR to catch the flight you really want...LHR - ACC. As angatol says £ 1900 for CW ex EU is pretty damn good (just need to buy the ticket from a non UK office).

The avios you need to UuA from WT+ to CW on the (roundtrip) LHR ACC LHR would be 20,000 avios. (difference in avios needed for full redemption which you can check by logging in to your BAEC account and doing a dummy avios booking. 60k for WT+ and 80k for CW in this case).

There is currently no availability for your dates but that could change. Some in Aug. (to check with).

Hope that helps.

was meaning no avios if I fly AMS which I assume means Skyteam / KLM

it could be interesting to use 20k to upgrade but I have saved fortunes to zone 1 Europe family holidays using avios + cash, that would be 3 one way trips for the 3 of us for just 1 upgrade.

SpurMan Jul 6, 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by drspear (Post 21049667)
was meaning no avios if I fly AMS which I assume means Skyteam / KLM

What angatol was suggesting was an ex EU fare, AMS>LHR>ACC, so you would be on BA all the way, and it would be cheaper. There would be a positioning flight to get you to AMS, but that can be on BA too. Does cost in time though. Explaining the extra flights to the beancounters would be problematic though. They'd just see the AMS-LHR flights as extra flights and extra cost, despite the fact it is cheaper. :rolleyes:

drspear Jul 6, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SpurMan (Post 21049696)
What angatol was suggesting was an ex EU fare, AMS>LHR>ACC, so you would be on BA all the way, and it would be cheaper. There would be a positioning flight to get you to AMS, but that can be on BA too. Does cost in time though. Explaining the extra flights to the beancounters would be problematic though. They'd just see the AMS-LHR flights as extra flights and extra cost, despite the fact it is cheaper. :rolleyes:

yeh that would be a non starter, but appreciate the clarification

BlackBerryAddict Jul 6, 2013 12:36 pm

One other option is to fly Y for the outbound, daytime flight, but opt for WTP for the return flight. I've done that before to the States if the price differential between Y and WTP was ridiculous.

sjharte Jul 6, 2013 1:31 pm

Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

I have flown several flight in premium economy on both BA and AF and would say premium economy is only good because regular economy is so bad.

Mangalore Jul 6, 2013 2:40 pm

I got off an 8 hour overnight flight in economy (WT) this morning.

It's the first time I've flown econ long haul since last Nov and the first time in yonks (years!) where I only had 1 seat in econ (way out Nov - sprawled out over 2 seats and way back sprawled out over 3)

I would DEFINITELY advise you to do the Club route via Amsterdam or let them cough up for the WT+.

I'm really only reiterating the chap who said that WT+ is only worth it because WT is so awful

It is I'm afraid 100% true.

Indelaware Jul 6, 2013 8:41 pm

GBP 1250 more! IMO, no way in h---. I wouldn't pay that, and I wouldn't allow anyone to pay that on my part, not an employer nor a client. It is an outrage.

Others may disagree, but I would argue that it is an outrage that the airlines get away with charging even GBP 1 more and that there are people willing to pay it. But, GBP 1250? No way. I'd sooner walk (or row) than give an airline that much additional undeserved revenue.

trueblu Jul 6, 2013 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 21052786)
GBP 1250 more! IMO, no way in h---. I wouldn't pay that, and I wouldn't allow anyone to pay that on my part, not an employer nor a client. It is an outrage.

Others may disagree, but I would argue that it is an outrage that the airlines get away with charging even GBP 1 more and that there are people willing to pay it. But, GBP 1250? No way. I'd sooner walk (or row) than give an airline that much additional undeserved revenue.

The first part of your polemical outburst may have had some merit -- were it not for the ludicrous second paragraph. Since you are suggesting that BA charge no extra for WTP, even though it is objectively a superior product, I'm afraid your argument just comes off as a rant.

I fly WTP a lot. Of course I would prefer to fly J, but I can't book it for work, nor afford it for leisure. It's definitely better than Y, even an exit row. That's quite a price differential over Y, and the OP has to decide whether they feel comfortable with that, when charging it to their employer.

My travel expenses are still paid out of my general work grant, so if I pay for WTP, that leaves less money for other things. That's why I like flying on AA when possible, as an EXP. The SWUs allow significantly more comfort for minimal extra cost.

tb

paulwuk Jul 6, 2013 11:44 pm

The vast majority of people would say the differential in cost of anything more than economy is not worth it.

I think the answer will be related to how many hours a year you spend at 35000 foot in a tin can, and how many nights away from home you spend.

If someone offered you £1200 in cash to downgrade from WTP to WT would you take it?

If someone offered you £3000 in cash to downgrade from CW to WT, would you take it?

IdiotAbroad Jul 7, 2013 12:24 am

This is an interesting thread. I faced a similar decision last week, although made my conclusion very quickly.. Day flight to UAE: £700 r/t in WT, £2.2k r/t in WT+. I run my own business, so went for Y. First time I've flown Y on BA for a few years. Had a bulkhead seat. I am skinny and couldn't believe the seats were so narrow. Luckily I had an empty seat next to me and great crew.

However, here I am, I survived. It was perfectly tolerable for 6 hours with a couple of movies. I felt great for saving £1500 when walking off the plane too.

Night flight however, I'd opt for WT+.

paulwuk Jul 7, 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad (Post 21053534)
This is an interesting thread. I faced a similar decision last week, although made my conclusion very quickly.. Day flight to UAE: £700 r/t in WT, £2.2k r/t in WT+.

WTP has 3 buckets (WET). If you don't have a Saturday night away, it has one bucket, fully flexible W.

Say leaving tomorrow, returning Saturday, London to Dubai.

In WT, you can fit in the S bucket in Economy out, the L bucket back. £610 return, no flexibility
In WTP it's W both ways, £2150
In CW, C both ways, £3588

Do the same for next January, you get
WT (N): £531
WTP (W): £2149
CW (R): £2189

But BA seem to manage to sell WTP tickets, so no need for cheap ones.

As for space taken on the plane. On a BA 747, you can get 18 CW seats or 36 WTP seats, so WTP gets more revenue per square foot that CW even on last minute fares.

Again looking on the 747 at the foremost WT cabin. You have a choice of
98 WT seats
or
40 WT seats + 30 WTP seats

A WTP seat takes up (and thus gives) about the same space as 2 WT seats. A CW seat takes about 4 WT seats. You should be looking at twice the economy price for WTP, and 4 times for CW.

However, there's a lot of competition at the bottom end of the market in Economy, and a fair bit in Business class. There isn't in WTP, so prices will be higher that you'd expect. This is why it was such a stupid move for BA to drop WTP from TLV and CAI. Drop F and CW by all means, half the people there are flying on deep discount tickets that get the same revenue per square foot as WT, but WTP is BA's cash cow.

However, here I am, I survived.
People survive Y flights to Sydney and back.

I think WT on its best day (exit row, empty seat next to you, good crew, new plane with at seat power) can be as good as WTP on it's worst day. On a night flight if you get a row of 4 seats empty, then it's better that WTP. That's very rare, and an indication of BA struggling on the route.

Fly 10 flights in WTP and 10 flights in WT and you do see the difference. To me, it's the difference between continuing to travel and not. It's therefore worth however much my presence is wherever I'm flying.