Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Closed after BA762 LHR-OSL A319 makes emergency landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Closed after BA762 LHR-OSL A319 makes emergency landing

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Image from terminal

(Posted with permission from friend)
Old May 24, 2013, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by layz
must be very worrying for most flyers if this happens, particularly if they're already nervous.
Surly this would be worrying for ALL flyers? No matter how many 'TPs' 'TATLs' 'RTWs' of First pyjamas you have collected we're all made the same.

Unless ones knowledge of the content of the CW drinks cart on the UD makes you immune to fear? I'm sure the pilot was even slightly on edge.

I am glad all appears well though.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: Amex Gold
apparently it lost one of its engines which also subsequently caught fire(not sure how severe this was)

that being said this wont change me from flying british airways
Old May 24, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Early indications are that it was caused by a bird strike.
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I am on the Tarmac at AMS - thee and a half hour wait

One runway closed at LHR - no inbound flights to lhr

Programs: BA Gold
Landing and take off now moving on Southern runway, but only limited movements on the ground obviously. Sounds like everyone is ok from the staff comments.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Arabmoney
apparently it lost one of its engines which also subsequently caught fire(not sure how severe this was)

that being said this wont change me from flying british airways
They must have found that engine.I can see 1 atached to each wing.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:38 am

You can see the flight's journey here: http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW762

I wonder why it didn't land at SEN?
Old May 24, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
^^ to the Pilots relieved everyone is ok.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by sammy..uk
Surly this would be worrying for ALL flyers? No matter how many 'TPs' 'TATLs' 'RTWs' of First pyjamas you have collected we're all made the same.

Unless ones knowledge of the content of the CW drinks cart on the UD makes you immune to fear? I'm sure the pilot was even slightly on edge.

I am glad all appears well though.
What I meant was an incident like this may affect some people really badly if they're involved with it and may take a while to build up the courage to fly again, whereas some, although possibly feeling a bit nervous at the time actually feel more confident because of the professional way the incident was handled by captain and crew.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
Full credit to the pilot for being able to safely land the plane. Looking like he lost the right engine, yet managed to continue the take off, perform a number of turns and land safely.
Its a twin aircraft.

Loosing one engine is no big deal.

(Well, you need to get it looked at, obviously..... but the aircraft is not suddenly going to fall out of the sky)
Old May 24, 2013, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
Full credit to the pilot for being able to safely land the plane. Looking like he lost the right engine, yet managed to continue the take off, perform a number of turns and land safely.
Well done indeed. This is a particular situation that we practise for in the simulator and is a fairly well worn procedure for the pilots. That said the real world is different from the simulator and there will have been a lot more to deal with than those created by the instructor. It seems that the whole thing was dealt with well.

Kudos to all the crew, both pilots and cabin crew; regardless of practice, the "surprise" factor must have been fairly large. Well done to all.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
75 passengers on board the A319.

Sky News' Jeremy Thompson has just come on and said he was about to land at LHR from DFW but has had to divert to STN for refuelling.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:45 am

The Twitter guy shows a picture of a broken left engine with the statement: "So this was our left engine before the right one blew our BA 762. All ok. http://t.co/vLa7kwj31X "

Seems like the birds could have damaged both engines. Not nice.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:46 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Having been through a bird strike situation at MRS some years ago it really brings home the quality and professionalism of BA staff. Cabin crew immediately switched from smiley-can-I-help-you mode to calm but firm detailed instruction. Reminded me how much of their training they hope they never have to use. In such a situation I'd rather be with BA than anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.