Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do I find the expiration date for my BA Avios Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I find the expiration date for my BA Avios Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: Always J
Originally Posted by pauldb
Did you consider the BA Premium black amex? There aren't really many good reasons to go for the free card despite the £195 Premium fee if you are planning on spending more than £10,000 on it to get a voucher.

Many thanks for your kind and prompt responses, pauldb and Hodders.

Being a complete newbie I'm going to keep the BA Amex running in the background as it wouldn't appear [or so I believe] to affect introductory bonuses on the subscription cards.

I can easily spend £3k in the first three months to achieve the 25k Avios bonus and spend £10k in the first year to further achieve the 2-4-1 on a BAPP. Is it worth the £195 fee to go with this? Have I screwed up with applying for the BA Amex?

My credit rating is pretty robust and shouldn't cause problems if I just go for the BAPP or both. It's just running them both parallel that I wonder whether I can pick up both bonuses.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You can't hold both the BA cards at once. If you want the BAPP you might be able to appeal to Amex to upgrade you and give you the higher sign-up bonus for that card but if they won't I'd probably stick with what you have and churn it (wait 6 months before reapplying for the BAPP).

The BAPP earns the voucher at £10k rather the £20k and it's easier to use as valid for 24 months (vs 12 months). Do you travel with a partner? You might consider earning referring your partner for the BAPP instead (earning you and them a bonus).

You also earn 1.5 avios per £ instead of 1. So on £10k it's an extra 5000. Overall I would say go for it, if the 241 voucher is valuable for you (you'll also want to have 100k+ avios by the time you get the voucher, to be able to make use of it).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Always J
Many thanks, pauldb. I'll call Amex when I return to the UK at the end of the week and see what gives otherwise I'll take the bonuses on offer then cancel and sit it out for six months.

You've been very helpful.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:36 pm

FYI, I see my last activity on my account was on 8/31/2014 and yet checking today 10/5/2017 and neither my Avios miles nor my account have expired. My wife's account had some activity earlier in 2017 from a shopping portal and I am in household account with her. We haven't had any other activity and no redemptions in the last 3 years.

So perhaps earning on one account in a household account does in fact keep both accounts active, which is contrary to advise given here and contrary to Avios terms. Either that or I am slipping through the cracks some way. I never received an email warning me my account or points would expire either.

I am thinking household activity keeps all accounts active. That is what makes sense.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat

I am thinking household activity keeps all accounts active. That is what makes sense.
I think this bit from the Exec Club T&Cs might cover what is happening ...

"18.1.17. The Avios points balance of individual Household Account Members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.4 if the individual Household Account Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1, in such circumstances, the membership of the individual Household Account Member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.18. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16, in the event a Household Account has a Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account Members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account Member any such Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply."
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
I think this bit from the Exec Club T&Cs might cover what is happening ...

"18.1.17. The Avios points balance of individual Household Account Members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.4 if the individual Household Account Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1, in such circumstances, the membership of the individual Household Account Member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.18. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16, in the event a Household Account has a Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account Members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account Member any such Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply."
No, we are both Blue tier.

I am going to do a redemption (which is why I was looking in the first place) in case this cancellation was delayed in some way.

edit: completed the redemption from my account and went fine.

Last edited by FlyingBoat; Oct 6, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL
That's good news FlyingBoat. Sometimes the BA IT gremlins work in our favour then. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.