FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

blindman Aug 21, 2012 4:47 am

Excellent post-I've been looking for this onfo since transferring from BD

One (dumb?) Q

UuA cancellations

I assume as it's a base fare paid for by cash-if you cancel then you'll lose the cash if it was a non-refundable ticket?

Tx

RAPC Aug 21, 2012 5:34 am

Extremely helpful and very written. Thanks very much indeed for this.

PanGalactic Aug 21, 2012 6:12 am

Nice work!, how about adding a section on OJs? :)

Explain the rules, examples of what you can/can't do?

milehighj Aug 21, 2012 9:36 am

Thank you for this very useful resource.

DWFI Aug 21, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by blindman (Post 19163182)
Excellent post-I've been looking for this onfo since transferring from BD

One (dumb?) Q

UuA cancellations

I assume as it's a base fare paid for by cash-if you cancel then you'll lose the cash if it was a non-refundable ticket?

Tx

The original fare rules of the base fare paid with cash apply if you use UUA. (i.e. a non-refundable ticket stays nonrefundable)

HOWEVER, with A+M, the ticket is treated as an award in the sense that it is flexible like a standard award.

This is a key distinction.

blindman Aug 21, 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 19165179)
The original fare rules of the base fare paid with cash apply if you use UUA. (i.e. a non-refundable ticket stays nonrefundable)

HOWEVER, with A+M, the ticket is treated as an award in the sense that it is flexible like a standard award.

This is a key distinction.

Thanks

Thought as much-may be worth putting that in the guide?

HIDDY Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Grand Union (Post 19160518)
01 Hotel redemptions

Note that it appears that this service is not available to BAEC members in certain countries.

Yes it's not available for me...I wonder why that is? :confused:

I have to say I've been looking through this guide and have found it extremely useful....one of the best yet. ^

Thanks to all those who gave up their time to put it together.

Neiltoo Aug 21, 2012 1:36 pm

This is excellent, thank you! Everything in one place. I've been trying to get my head round all this for some time now. ^^

thomastuyaerts Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Great job, as per usual guys!!!!

littlevoices Aug 22, 2012 1:06 am

A useful thread, and perfectly in time for me as I'm just about to try my first MFU booking. Could I ask for clarification on the following:

Originally Posted by 1
You can only upgrade one class at a time

I just had a call with an agent who said you could only upgrade once on an MFU, which is kind of hinted by

Originally Posted by 2
You can only upgrade one cabin

As I understood you could do the following, in the same transaction (even if it meant the agent had to do some fiddling):
Book WTP+ (Base fare), upgrade to Club, and then from Club to First
The agent gave me a response that indicated the "Club to First" booking would not be possible, not sure if this is a HUCA or a real restriction?

Threads seem to indicate the agent was correct, so you might want to make it explicit (doh!)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-classes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-wt-first.html

Thinking about it: In this scenario can you book a Club outbound and a WTP return and do therefore the one-class only upgrade whilst not over-paying? (I suspect in this case one is better booking from Amsterdam, making a MFU impossible)

Petrus Aug 22, 2012 3:29 am

You can only upgrade one cabin using avios. Anything else is false.
Once you have upgraded, there can be POUG offers to the next cabin, but you will still get avios and TP for the original revenue cabin, or zero if it was a full redemption base fare.

It is possible to book WT+ one way and CW the other, meaning that one can upgrade to CW one way and F one way, assuming there is availability.

r22r44bell47 Aug 22, 2012 5:26 am

Excellent resource, thank you.

One suggestion which I don't think is covered so far (apologies if I missed it); under the additional benefits for Gold the fact that an Amex 2-4-1 can be used in conjunction with a GUF2 could be added? If one is so inclined it does have the potential to save shedloads of Avios.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by r22r44bell47 (Post 19170580)
Excellent resource, thank you.

One suggestion which I don't think is covered so far (apologies if I missed it); under the additional benefits for Gold the fact that an Amex 2-4-1 can be used in conjunction with a GUF2 could be added? If one is so inclined it does have the potential to save shedloads of Avios.

Good point; Also GUF2 and Jokers can be redeemed together. GUF2 and UuA cannot be combined (as already stated); Also GUF2 can be used when there are (e.g.) WT+ reduced rate redemptions it can be used to leverage into the class higher (so indirectly allowing reduced rate CW when it is not used). Must be booked by phone however. Anything else anyone can think of?

SheppeyFlyer Aug 23, 2012 9:21 am

Hi All, I've just joined the forum and used Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW on a return flight from the US. I have what may appear to be an elementary question to most but would like to know if the upgrade now attracts enhanced Avios as well as associated tier-points or do they remain the same as my original WT+ booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance. SF

SheppeyFlyer Aug 23, 2012 9:30 am

Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer (Post 19178508)
Hi All, I've just joined the forum and used Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW on a return flight from the US. I have what may appear to be an elementary question to most but would like to know if the upgrade now attracts enhanced Avios as well as associated tier-points or do they remain the same as my original WT+ booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance. SF

Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF