FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

HIDDY Aug 23, 12 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer (Post 19178576)
Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF

Welcome to the forum....nice handle. ^

T8191 Aug 23, 12 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer (Post 19178576)
Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF

Hi, Sheppey … bottom line is: you get what you pay for.
The jump up to CW using Avios is the price you pay for that - so, basically, you don't get an additional bonus for that "free" upgrade :D

T8191
"Mr UuA to CW" ;)

SheppeyFlyer Aug 23, 12 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 19178833)
Hi, Sheppey … bottom line is: you get what you pay for.
The jump up to CW using Avios is the price you pay for that - so, basically, you don't get an additional bonus for that "free" upgrade :D

T8191
"Mr UuA to CW" ;)

Thanks T8191, appreciate the steer. Either way, think I've got a good deal. 12000 avios + £60 for the jump to CW. Its an overnight slog and arriving on a BH Monday with a family 'rounders' competition to attend, I need to be in tip-top form!:cool:

GTompkins Aug 25, 12 6:04 am

Query on Upgrade Costs

Originally Posted by Grand Union (Post 19160506)

Using London to Chicago booking one way in WT+ and upgraded with Avios to Club World. The upgrade is an up front cost of 10,000 Avios. The flight earns 3,950 base Avios, plus a cabin bonus of 988 Avios, and for Gold/Silver members an additional 3,950 Avios. This reduces the net cost of the upgrade to a pleasingly slender 1,112 Avios.

01 UuA on BA only flights, booked through a BA sales channel

You can only upgrade one class at a time. The cost in Avios for an UuA is the base (i.e. pure economy reward) mileage multiplied by a certain amount:

x1.0 Euro Traveller to Club Europe
x0.5 World Traveller to World Traveller Plus
x0.5 World Traveller Plus to Club World
x1.0 Club World to First

So for example, let’s say you want to book a flight from London to San Francisco, moving from World Traveller Plus to Club World. The basic fare is (say) £900 including taxes. Upgrading from World Traveller Plus to Club World will cost you 0.5 x the economy award seat mileage (so 0.5 x 50,000 = 25,000 Avios). So for £900 + upward adjustment in fuel surcharges + 25,000 Avios, you get a seat in Club instead of World Traveller Plus.

First post and I'm quite new to this so go easy on me... I definitely wouldn't have made it this far without all the great work from Grand Union and some of the other board members in explaining the curious world of Avios and the BAEC. So with UuA in particular I'm trying to match up what Grand Union has done a great job explaining with what BA.com is telling me.

Looking at this page it appears that the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the cabin you wish to upgrade from (the 'base Avios'). I'm using this tool to understand the Avios price for flights in World Traveller Plus (or whichever cabin you wish to upgrade from).

So I read that and I'm thinking the following.

The ORD example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £1500 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 30000. So in the way I understand it, that 30000 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 30000 x 0.5 = 15000 Avios.

The SFO example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £2000 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 37500. So in the way I understand it, that 37500 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 37500 x 0.5 = 18750 Avios.

Does that make sense?

HIDDY Aug 25, 12 9:25 am

Originally Posted by GTompkins (Post 19190272)

So I read that and I'm thinking the following.

The ORD example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £1500 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 30000. So in the way I understand it, that 30000 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 30000 x 0.5 = 15000 Avios.

The SFO example could work as follows:
1. One way World Traveller Plus ticket bought for cash. Say £2000 including taxes/charges/etc...
2. The Avios price for a one way flight in the WT+ cabin is 37500. So in the way I understand it, that 37500 is the base Avios.
3. To then upgrade your cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios would be the base Avios x 0.5, so that's 37500 x 0.5 = 18750 Avios.

Does that make sense?

Welcome to the forum GTompkins. ^

You seem to have got into a muddle over your calculations.
To upgrade both sectors of your ORD ticket it will be 10,000 each way and SFO will be 12,500 each way. The cost is based on 0.5 of the amount of Avios needed for a redemption in WT.

GTompkins Aug 25, 12 9:37 am

Hey Hiddy,

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by both sectors? I'm talking one way with both examples.

Appreciate your help.

HIDDY Aug 25, 12 9:43 am

Originally Posted by GTompkins (Post 19190911)
Hey Hiddy,

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by both sectors? I'm talking one way with both examples.

Appreciate your help.

Yes my post does seem to be poorly worded.....as usual.
My figures are the cost to upgrade one way LHR-ORD/SFO so just double them if you want to upgrade both the outbound and the inbound.

GTompkins Aug 25, 12 9:46 am

Ok, not to worry. The next part of my confusion is where you mention it's the Avios needed for a redemption in WT.

I mean I understand that bit but the BA site advises that the price is based on the Avios needed for a redemption in the cabin you wish to upgrade from, so in either case here it's an upgrade from WTP to CW. Not from WT.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a wally.

HIDDY Aug 25, 12 10:03 am

It's always calculated on the % needed for a WT redemption no matter which class you paid for.
So the cost in Avios to upgrade would be.
Economy to World Traveller Plus is x0.5 of the WT rate.
World Traveller Plus to Club is x0.5 of the WT rate.
Club/Business to First is x1 of the WT rate.

GTompkins Aug 25, 12 10:07 am

Aha! The penny has dropped. Thank-you.

I'm just re-reading the BA site and that sentence, "the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the cabin you wish to upgrade from" is awfully confusing.

It sounds like that should really be "the amount of Avios needed to upgrade is based on the Avios price for a flight in the Economy/WT cabin" or at least something like that?

GTompkins Aug 25, 12 10:10 am

Also, certainly not complaining... now that I share the same understanding. Cracking deal if you can find redemption seats in the cabin you want to upgrade to.

HIDDY Aug 25, 12 10:13 am

Yes rather too good a deal if you ask me.

T8191 Aug 25, 12 11:24 am

… or is it "the number of Avios"? I'm a bit undecided on that one.

"Amount", IMO, implies "quantity" [as in people, vegetables, etc.] rather than a simple numeric.

Or am I dribbling?

mgiarc Aug 26, 12 1:13 am

GUF2 to revenue fare buckets?

Great resource - thanks! ^

Alternatively you can use a travel agent, if they are willing and able to do it, to use a GUF2 into certain paid-for fare buckets if there is no redemption availability.
Can you give a little more detail on this, please? How does the TA do that? Is there a thread which discusses it?

Thanks,
mgiarc

Schultzois Aug 26, 12 7:56 pm

Excellent reference.

Reading the section on UuA, I am not sure all eligible booking classes have been listed. I certainly upgraded a CW itinerary in R to F when Z is available. I bookings are not upgradeable using Avios on AA, but I think they may still be on BA (I have in the past, but not recently).