FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

Wozza2404 Jan 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 20088832)
If a problem does come to light at the airport, which rightly is of concern to Traveller28, a mountain of Avios at hand won't be of much use.

Personally, if I was to book tickets for a friend, I'd do everything in my power to ensure their journey is comfortable and goes without hitch.

My mistake, didn't spot the part about the booking being for a friend.

In that case I'd agree. Phone BA and get it sorted. If I were travelling alone and it was my booking, however, I'd take the gamble.

traveller28 Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, is it a real gamble as I have the ticket number beginning 125- have paid the taxes and all of the other information on MMB is correct. I am travelling on the same flight too but would rather everything goes without a hitch. Are there rules about reward booking where the Avios doesn't leave your account?

drwilliams Jan 21, 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by traveller28 (Post 20088950)
Thanks for the replies everyone, is it a real gamble as I have the ticket number beginning 125- have paid the taxes and all of the other information on MMB is correct. I am travelling on the same flight too but would rather everything goes without a hitch. Are there rules about reward booking where the Avios doesn't leave your account?

Since we are talking gambling, I would guess the account holder they came from will notice at some point and call BA. When that happens, what if there is no availability at that time?

I say call and fix it, at this point it is an error, later on it could become them believing you saw it and ignored it and they cancel the ticket outright and just refund the taxes and fees.

alison lee Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Is booking a car rental a poor use of Avios?

Have 175k. We are really only interested in flight redemption for travel to The US from Dublin, Ireland, but find that, by the time taxes/charges are added we get little value from Avios, i.e. we can get flights to Orlando or San Francisco for, let's say €500 return total (including DUB - MCO direct). Am looking at booking a People Carrier x 3 weeks for 130k (so about €700 if self-paying). Anyone any thoughts on this? Of note, we would travel here and there in Europe with Avios only with such low fares already available, most reward flights I look at with Avios, the additional cost is equivalent to what I can get by just booking and paying it. I think. Hotel rewards seem quite costly in Avios terms. Many thanks!

PanGalactic Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by alison lee (Post 20094791)
Have 175k. We are really only interested in flight redemption for travel to The US from Dublin, Ireland, but find that, by the time taxes/charges are added we get little value from Avios, i.e. we can get flights to Orlando or San Francisco for, let's say €500 return total (including DUB - MCO direct). Am looking at booking a People Carrier x 3 weeks for 130k (so about €700 if self-paying). Anyone any thoughts on this? Of note, we would travel here and there in Europe with Avios only with such low fares already available, most reward flights I look at with Avios, the additional cost is equivalent to what I can get by just booking and paying it. I think. Hotel rewards seem quite costly in Avios terms. Many thanks!

Don't do it! :)

You can get much better value if you treat yourself to business class flights, or use Avios to upgrade from Premium Economy (WT+) to fully flat bed Biz class (CW)

You can also use Aer Lingus from Dublin which has much lower taxes.

Stez Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by alison lee (Post 20094791)

Only you can ultimately decide whether it represents good value for money as everyone's circumstances are unique. The general notion, as our points-nutter friend PanGalactic pointed out (pardon the pun), the best use of Avios is upgrading WT+ to CW, or redemption in CW or F. Of course that would mean a higher cash outlay in terms of WT+ ticket, or in terms of higher taxes and "fuel" surcharges for CW/F redemption.

There have been times when I burned some Avios on hotels as they had some really good deals (possibly one or two mistake rates) and times for when I just don't want to have to pay a penny.

So consider what else 130,000 Avios would get you, and see whether you'd use the alternative, or stick with the car rental. To me 130k for £700 seems fairly poor value unless I were Avios-rich and don't want to spend cash.

PanGalactic Jan 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 20094978)
To me 130k for £700 seems fairly poor value unless I were Avios-rich and don't want to spend cash.

It's €700, not £700, so less than 0.5p per Avios. Fairly poor is a bit of an understatement I think.

Most people including myself won't redeem them for less than 1p, and even then do so begrudgingly.

Wozza2404 Jan 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Don't redeem them for $700 of value. I'm pretty certain people over at Coupon Connection would snatch your hand off for 130k for $800 cash.

alison lee Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 20094937)
Don't do it! :)

You can get much better value if you treat yourself to business class flights, or use Avios to upgrade from Premium Economy (WT+) to fully flat bed Biz class (CW)

You can also use Aer Lingus from Dublin which has much lower taxes.

Well, that's stopped me in my tracks!!!

Didn't realize Aer Lingus had lower taxes. That's always been the sting when searching on BAEC for reward flights. You can't book airline partner rewards yourself can you, i.e. on-line?? Have booked 6 direct Aer Lingus flights to Orlando for less than 3k (3 adults/3 kid fares - United Codeshare), and finding Avios/miles accumulating, so seemed a quick fix to drop a pile on a car! United have taken the car/hotel privilege away for us Europeans! The upgrading/business class would have to involve The Troops, so will revert to Aer Lingus and go this route (no pun intended!).

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have seen The Light :)

alison lee Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 20094978)
Only you can ultimately decide whether it represents good value for money as everyone's circumstances are unique. The general notion, as our points-nutter friend PanGalactic pointed out (pardon the pun), the best use of Avios is upgrading WT+ to CW, or redemption in CW or F. Of course that would mean a higher cash outlay in terms of WT+ ticket, or in terms of higher taxes and "fuel" surcharges for CW/F redemption.

There have been times when I burned some Avios on hotels as they had some really good deals (possibly one or two mistake rates) and times for when I just don't want to have to pay a penny.

So consider what else 130,000 Avios would get you, and see whether you'd use the alternative, or stick with the car rental. To me 130k for £700 seems fairly poor value unless I were Avios-rich and don't want to spend cash.

Brilliant pun all the same, had a great laugh outta that! It's €650. Was being benevolent and rounded up. I too dropped hotel miles (United), 60k of them on 2 nights in a regular room for 2 in London recently until United put an end to it. Moving on.......... from that calamity .... will look at the outlay for CW+ so in future, and the upgrade. Interested in San Francisco and it's one long haul (sorry, more puns). Thanks for your time.

alison lee Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 20095007)
It's €700, not £700, so less than 0.5p per Avios. Fairly poor is a bit of an understatement I think.

Most people including myself won't redeem them for less than 1p, and even then do so begrudgingly.

Fabulous advice, thank you. Should have 230k by the autumn, so will spend wisely.

alison lee Jan 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 20095036)
Don't redeem them for $700 of value. I'm pretty certain people over at Coupon Connection would snatch your hand off for 130k for $800 cash.

Have only seen 'multiquote' now. Sorry guys! Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

PanGalactic Jan 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 20095036)

Bad idea on so many levels.....

1. Alison would need another 141 posts in order to access coupon connection
2. Cash deals would be against FT rules
3. Selling Avios is against BA rules
4. $800 = €600

Coupon connection is a big fat waste of time and not worth the risk of being ripped off or having your account shut down IMO.

stifle Jan 22, 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by alison lee (Post 20095054)
Well, that's stopped me in my tracks!!!

Didn't realize Aer Lingus had lower taxes. That's always been the sting when searching on BAEC for reward flights. You can't book airline partner rewards yourself can you, i.e. on-line?? Have booked 6 direct Aer Lingus flights to Orlando for less than 3k (3 adults/3 kid fares - United Codeshare), and finding Avios/miles accumulating, so seemed a quick fix to drop a pile on a car! United have taken the car/hotel privilege away for us Europeans! The upgrading/business class would have to involve The Troops, so will revert to Aer Lingus and go this route (no pun intended!).

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have seen The Light :)

Most partner flights can be booked online, but Aer Lingus isn't one of them. You need to do it on the phone.

Grandad81 Jan 23, 2013 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Grand Union (Post 19160506)
UuA can be extremely problematic when it comes to actually getting credit for the fare you paid – many here regard BA’s back-end systems as a disgrace in this respect! UuA are an oddity, as the system needs to track two fare classes, the one you paid for, and the one you booked into. The problem is, the fare class you book into, is the same as for award tickets. So the system can incorrectly log it as an award ticket, and it comes up on the statement as earning no points or miles.

For example, a normal UuA from WT+ to Club, should appear on your statement as J/T (i.e. you sat in J but paid for T). Most of the time, it comes up as J/U instead. To correct this, you need to speak to someone at the service centre. This can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks to credit.

I've booked via UuA from WT+ to CW. On MMB it's currently showing the tier points and avios at the CW rate as opposed to the WT+ that I was expecting. The flights haven't yet taken place, should I expect that the points/avios will be downgraded after the flight, or is it an error I should keep schtum about and hope I get the full CW allowance?