FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

LTN Phobia Nov 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by RedVee (Post 19730235)
Thanks LTNPhobia , I'll register for QF so I can check myself in future - it might become more relevant to my travel plans in future ;) Although with the earn rate, perhaps not.

It won't let you register with a UK address, and it will try to charge you if you have an Australia/NZ address unless things changed recently.

travelkid Nov 25, 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado (Post 19535683)
The most amazing guide. Thankyou so much.

May i ask what software you used to do the radius maps? I'd love to be able to do a radius map online, lets say 5500miles from MAN, etc, etc....

+1. Great thread. Didnt see this map tool question answered. Any pointer?

Thanks.

AllTheNines Nov 29, 2012 4:20 am

Just a quick question - I'm fairly sure I've read in the small print somewhere that you must carry your BAEC card when checkin-in for a redemption booking. Is this correct?

Whilst I have made plenty of flights on BA in the past, I rather naïvely didn't think that the miles/Avios we were worth collecting.

I've only started collecting this year, and I've made my first redemption through the Amex sign-up bonus. I guess if it's a necessity to have a card then I'll need to make a flight on BA somewhere before next May, when my redemption ticket is for.

stimpy Nov 29, 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by AllTheNines (Post 19764883)
Just a quick question - I'm fairly sure I've read in the small print somewhere that you must carry your BAEC card when checkin-in for a redemption booking. Is this correct?

All airlines advise you to carry your card, but IME you are never, ever asked to produce it. Passport or other approved ID, yes. BAEC card, no.

However it is always good to carry your BAEC card for lounge access at certain airports.

Prospero Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado (Post 19535683)
The most amazing guide. Thankyou so much.

May i ask what software you used to do the radius maps? I'd love to be able to do a radius map online, lets say 5500miles from MAN, etc, etc....

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19741331)
+1. Great thread. Didnt see this map tool question answered. Any pointer?

Thanks.

Each map diagram was lovingly created in a back bedroom somewhere in deepest EH4, used Adobe Illustrator. Of course, none would have been possible without the technical marvel that is the great circle map website, http://www.gcmap.com

Creating your own personal map should be easy to do. Using a background map, plot your origin and three independent locations of equal distance from the origin. Then join the three dots with a circle. Well, that's the theory. In practice, longitudinal extremes do tend to warp the circle into an ellipse (taking into account the Earth's curvature).

kitenski Nov 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios? I am looking to take my family away over Xmas next year, so with the flights being released 355 days in advance, it would make sense to book outward in Dec 2012, and return in Jan 2013.

Unless it is going to cost me more Avios :)

Thanks,

Greg

PanGalactic Nov 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by kitenski (Post 19767967)
Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios? I am looking to take my family away over Xmas next year, so with the flights being released 355 days in advance, it would make sense to book outward in Dec 2012, and return in Jan 2013.

Thanks,

Greg

It costs exactly the same Avios and for reward flight savers the tax is also the same. The difference is that they won't cancel your inbound flight if you happen to miss your outbound flight for some reason and need to rebook (eg: if you happen to turn up at the airport with the wrong passport :rolleyes:) so it's actually better to book 2 x 1 ways if you can, although that means you can't use a 241 voucher for both legs.

For non reward flight saver redemptions, there may or may not be a slight increase in total taxes for 2x1 ways, check this before you book.

Prospero Nov 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks,

Greg

Depends on where you plan to travel to. It's a wash in terms of Avios required, but be aware of asymmetrical fuel surcharges, which can make a big difference to the overall cash component. Dummy bookings will reveal the differences.

kitenski Nov 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 19768353)
Depends on where you plan to travel to. It's a wash in terms of Avios required, but be aware of asymmetrical fuel surcharges, which can make a big difference to the overall cash component. Dummy bookings will reveal the differences.

Hmm, ok, the plan is Manchester to Melbourne, but may have to settle with Sydney due to the Qantas alliance ending....

Globaliser Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios?

Another difference, I think, is in the cost of changing or cancelling. You could pay double if you hold twice as many tickets because you've booked them as one-ways.

RedVee Nov 30, 2012 2:28 am

Originally Posted by kitenski (Post 19768376)
Hmm, ok, the plan is Manchester to Melbourne, but may have to settle with Sydney due to the Qantas alliance ending....

AFAIAA, Qantas have not said they are withdrawing from Oneworld, just the joint business venture with BA on the LHR to SYD route. It is still possible to book MEL with Avios

stifle Nov 30, 2012 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 19768603)
Another difference, I think, is in the cost of changing or cancelling. You could pay double if you hold twice as many tickets because you've booked them as one-ways.

Correct, although in economy on RFS the difference is only a fiver a head.

bdben Dec 4, 2012 1:14 am

Help - can't select more than 2 passengers

I have an Avios household account but when I click on “Spend Avios” and try to do an award booking search for 3 pax, it only lets me check up to 2 passengers (the 2 in my household). How can I search for 3 pax? Is this a bug in the BA user interface? Does anyone know a workaround for this (other than logging in under a different Avios account)?
Also — are all of the household Avios available to be spent automatically? Right now it is calculating as if I can only spend my Avios even though it is showing me the total household Avios information.

Wozza2404 Dec 4, 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by bdben (Post 19792384)
I have an Avios household account but when I click on “Spend Avios” and try to do an award booking search for 3 pax, it only lets me check up to 2 passengers (the 2 in my household). How can I search for 3 pax? Is this a bug in the BA user interface? Does anyone know a workaround for this (other than logging in under a different Avios account)?
Also — are all of the household Avios available to be spent automatically? Right now it is calculating as if I can only spend my Avios even though it is showing me the total household Avios information.

If you have a household account, you can only make redemptions for people in that household account.

You'll have to add anyone you're looking to make a redemption booking for to your HHA.

TAHKUCT Dec 4, 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 19792766)
If you have a household account, you can only make redemptions for people in that household account.

You'll have to add anyone you're looking to make a redemption booking for to your HHA.

If I will create a household account and want to discontinue it and separate all travelers, will it be possible?