Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA3 LCY-JFK to lose US preclearance in Shannon [from 28 October 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, FB, Exec Club, SPG

According to this, the US CBP staff rosters are being cut back in Shannon with the result that the late-afternoon BA flight will no longer have preclearance.

(Side note: the minister is quoted as citing an average of 18 passengers per flight. Is that accurate? Is the morning flight busier?)

If this is confirmed, what is the likely outcome? BA can't fly non-stop, at least not until the CSeries arrives They are unlikely to be able to make a quick splash-and-dash stop in DUB - it would take longer and reduce the attractiveness of the service. Is that what they should do? Should they retime the BA3 an hour earlier (less attractive commercially) and maintain preclearance at SNN? Suspend the flight altogether?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: ABBA
As far as I can see, there's only 4 flights a day from SNN
CO: 09:00 and 13:40 (EWR, 757)
BA: 15:00 and 18:15 (JFK)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
BA3 makes no sense versus a 747 from LHR if you have to land somewhere to refuel before the transatlantic leg but can't do US immigration at the same stage.

In terms of loads I was on BA1 last Monday and it had 20 pax which is on the low side in my experience. BA2 on Thursday night had 32 pax though (ie. full) - this was the first time I have seen this.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
There are some EI flights on other days, (BOS & JFK) but not daily.

Without pre-clearance it certainly would detract from the offering.

Strange thing is, that 9am CO flight must be in EWR about an hour before the rest of that 'wave' of flights - can't they go an hour later (or even more, given pax land as domestics, so able to get connections)....

Just a thought - how far can the A318 get from City? Can it reach the Eastern tip of Canada?

Or is this just a conspiracy by the US trying to get pre-clearance into the UK?????
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:53 am

There are several advantages to the LCY service to JFK as far as I am concerned. The advantage of clearing customs of course, plus the benefit of being able to send and receive emails for most of the journey. It has to be the best BA Club service.
From experience the crews are exceptional being in a league of their own including many of the flight deck who are genuinely passionate about the service.
I have used the service in both directions on a great many occasions and when the loads have been low was told it only needed 11 people outbound to break even! I must admit I am not totally sure how true that is?
It would be a great shame if the service was to discontinue although I usually catch the first flight because of connecting in New York.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
it's no wonder BA are trying to sell the LCY-JFK service.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Scallops
I have used the service in both directions on a great many occasions and when the loads have been low was told it only needed 11 people outbound to break even! I must admit I am not totally sure how true that is?
Years back I used to work with a great European airline (long since merged into another entity). They used to fly 737s with around 130 seats and said so long as they sold 8 full fare tickets on a certain 2hr flight then the costs were covered.

Obviously oil and insurance costs have gone up massively since then, but the figure of 11 probably makes sense (but that'll be 11 full fare pax, not the avios brigade!)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by irmster
it's no wonder BA are trying to sell the LCY-JFK service.

cs
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Only 4 daily scheduled flights. Last time I was there, there were 2 C130s full of squaddies waiting to pre-clear too. I believe there's a market for private jets too.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Royce
Only 4 daily scheduled flights. Last time I was there, there were 2 C130s full of squaddies waiting to pre-clear too. I believe there's a market for private jets too.
Would you be able to tell me which day of the week that was?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
that was a Friday. FYI the holding area before preclearance was completely full. There were even squaddies laying on the floor napping. For those waiting for their bags to be identified, it was standing room only.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Royce
For those waiting for their bags to be identified, it was standing room only.

How did that work then?

"yes thats mine - the large bag in cammoflage green!"
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Please Dear - you are WW Fleet now. Your Essex Girl Pick-a-Trick days are behind you in Eurofleet.

Squaddies? Whatever happened to Officers and Gentlemen.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Aren't UK soldiers called Squaddies and US soldiers called Grunts? (Or is that not a sidwalk/pavement sort of thing?)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
. When I flew through once, there was an 'Omni Air International' 767 on the ground and the departure lounge was full of green fabric.

Very sobering really - they were either off to war or on their way back. Either way, rather them than me.

As for CWLCY being sold, I doubt it. The plan was always that if the route didn't succeed, the aircraft would end up on domestic routes (hence why they have no sophisticated in-built IFE setup, and blanked emergency exits). I am sure there is a good reason for the moving of the AOC and it probably involves an airport a bit around the M25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.