FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bonus Avios during the London 2012 Olympic Games (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1358956-bonus-avios-during-london-2012-olympic-games.html)

barella Jun 21, 2012 3:56 am

Bonus Avios during the London 2012 Olympic Games

Just has this through from BA:

The better the medals they win, the more you can win

You will be awarded Avios Medal Bonus if you are a UK Executive Club Member, you are flying from the UK during the London 2012 Olympic Games between 27th July – 12th August, and you have registered to receive bonus Avios. The highest medal won on the day or days you are flying, will win you the Avios Medal Bonus.

A Bronze medal wins 250 Avios

A Silver medal wins 500 Avios

A Gold medal wins 1,000 Avios

For example, if Team GB won 1 x Bronze and 1 x Silver medal on any given day during the Olympic Games, we will award 500 Avios to qualifying Members.

You could double your Avios

If any of the Team GB athletes sponsored by British Airways win a medal on any given day, we will double the Avios awarded. For instance, if Jessica Ennis replicates her recent record-breaking performance and wins Gold in the Heptathlon, we will award 2,000 Avios.

Team GB sponsored athletes are:
  • Ben Ainslie
  • Aaron Cook
  • Dave Davies
  • Jessica Ennis
  • Mark Hunter & Zac Purchase
  • Helen Jenkins
  • Louis Smith
  • Shelly Woods

dddc Jun 21, 2012 4:27 am

Nice little promo, but doesn't fly in the face of their "Don't fly, Home Advantage etc" promo? ;)

poggs Jun 21, 2012 4:59 am

I would love to see Aaron cook win a medal. Might be difficult though as the world no 1 ranked cook, has not been selected for the games.

Madness huh?

Tobias-UK Jun 21, 2012 5:31 am

Originally Posted by dddc (Post 18794072)
Nice little promo, but doesn't fly in the face of their "Don't fly, Home Advantage etc" promo? ;)

No, have a read of the email when it arrives.

BizFlyin Jun 21, 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 18794245)
No, have a read of the email when it arrives.

Thank goodness they don't offer this in other locations. If they made the same offer to Israeli members for the Israeli team, my account would probably go negative.

cazoz Jun 22, 2012 9:35 am

Doesn't look like it given the date range given, but it would be great for me if this ran during the Paralympics...

TravellerFrequently Jun 22, 2012 9:41 am

Imaginative promo!

I will be working quite a few time zones away fromm London for much of the Olympics, so will not benefit in the happy circumstances of medals for the team.

Still, I hope they do well and benefit some travellers, who may well need the 'gesture'!

TravellerFrequently Jun 22, 2012 9:41 am

Duplicated post.

henkybaby Jun 22, 2012 9:45 am

I wonder... Does BA have a new director of communications and/or advertising agency?

dnajockey Jun 22, 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 18801601)
I wonder... Does BA have a new director of communications and/or advertising agency?

With this, the new ad and the home turf ...... signs of fresh thinking certainly

Mart81 Jun 22, 2012 9:49 am

Where do you register? :P

papabear Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am

Nice promo. Is it time for us euReals now to become UKCheats?

koshka Jun 22, 2012 2:22 pm

I wonder if this might backfire publicity wise at some point. The email opens with "Welcome to the second Access London 2012 newsletter, created especially to help our Members get closer to the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games."

This seems to give the two events equal billing but if the campaign only relates to the Olympics then it could be perceived as saying that medals won by UK paralympians aren't valued as much.

britbronco22 Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm

No good for me as a Euro member, and not worth switching and losing my Gold threshold!
However, any idea if this would cover reward bookings as well?

irishguy28 Jun 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by dddc (Post 18794072)

Exactly! Only a few days ago they were telling us, po-faced, not to fly during the Olympics.

Now, they turn around and are going to reward those that have the cheek to fly during the Olympics - and not just those that flew on a day that nothing was doing for Team GB, but those that flew on a day there was something worth staying at home and cheering about!!!

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 18803215)
No good for me as a Euro member, and not worth switching and losing my Gold threshold!
However, any idea if this would cover reward bookings as well?

Errr...you never get Avios for pure reward bookings. Only if your reward booking had a paid element involved which would earn Avios, could you hope to to earn the bonus Avios.