Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bonus Avios during the London 2012 Olympic Games

Old Jun 21, 12, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements

Just has this through from BA:

The better the medals they win, the more you can win

You will be awarded Avios Medal Bonus if you are a UK Executive Club Member, you are flying from the UK during the London 2012 Olympic Games between 27th July 12th August, and you have registered to receive bonus Avios. The highest medal won on the day or days you are flying, will win you the Avios Medal Bonus.

A Bronze medal wins 250 Avios

A Silver medal wins 500 Avios

A Gold medal wins 1,000 Avios

For example, if Team GB won 1 x Bronze and 1 x Silver medal on any given day during the Olympic Games, we will award 500 Avios to qualifying Members.

You could double your Avios

If any of the Team GB athletes sponsored by British Airways win a medal on any given day, we will double the Avios awarded. For instance, if Jessica Ennis replicates her recent record-breaking performance and wins Gold in the Heptathlon, we will award 2,000 Avios.

Team GB sponsored athletes are:
  • Ben Ainslie
  • Aaron Cook
  • Dave Davies
  • Jessica Ennis
  • Mark Hunter & Zac Purchase
  • Helen Jenkins
  • Louis Smith
  • Shelly Woods
Old Jun 21, 12, 5:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Nice little promo, but doesn't fly in the face of their "Don't fly, Home Advantage etc" promo?
Old Jun 21, 12, 5:59 am

I would love to see Aaron cook win a medal. Might be difficult though as the world no 1 ranked cook, has not been selected for the games.

Madness huh?
Old Jun 21, 12, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Nice little promo, but doesn't fly in the face of their "Don't fly, Home Advantage etc" promo?
No, have a read of the email when it arrives.
Old Jun 21, 12, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
No, have a read of the email when it arrives.
Thank goodness they don't offer this in other locations. If they made the same offer to Israeli members for the Israeli team, my account would probably go negative.
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:35 am

Doesn't look like it given the date range given, but it would be great for me if this ran during the Paralympics...
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Imaginative promo!

I will be working quite a few time zones away fromm London for much of the Olympics, so will not benefit in the happy circumstances of medals for the team.

Still, I hope they do well and benefit some travellers, who may well need the 'gesture'!
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Duplicated post.
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I wonder... Does BA have a new director of communications and/or advertising agency?
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
I wonder... Does BA have a new director of communications and/or advertising agency?
With this, the new ad and the home turf ...... signs of fresh thinking certainly
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Where do you register? :P
Old Jun 22, 12, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Nice promo. Is it time for us euReals now to become UKCheats?
Old Jun 22, 12, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
I wonder if this might backfire publicity wise at some point. The email opens with "Welcome to the second Access London 2012 newsletter, created especially to help our Members get closer to the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games."

This seems to give the two events equal billing but if the campaign only relates to the Olympics then it could be perceived as saying that medals won by UK paralympians aren't valued as much.
Old Jun 22, 12, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
No good for me as a Euro member, and not worth switching and losing my Gold threshold!
However, any idea if this would cover reward bookings as well?
Old Jun 22, 12, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Exactly! Only a few days ago they were telling us, po-faced, not to fly during the Olympics.

Now, they turn around and are going to reward those that have the cheek to fly during the Olympics - and not just those that flew on a day that nothing was doing for Team GB, but those that flew on a day there was something worth staying at home and cheering about!!!

Originally Posted by britbronco22 View Post
No good for me as a Euro member, and not worth switching and losing my Gold threshold!
However, any idea if this would cover reward bookings as well?
Errr...you never get Avios for pure reward bookings. Only if your reward booking had a paid element involved which would earn Avios, could you hope to to earn the bonus Avios.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: