FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Long queues at T5 border control (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1335455-long-queues-t5-border-control.html)

stimpy Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I passed through on Intl transit last Sunday around 1pm and saw that there were no serious queues at the Domestic transit desk.

SanDiego1K Jul 11, 2012 1:08 pm

There was no queue at noon today in T5.

45128 Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost (Post 18909168)
I arrived at the T5 Immigration Hall around 7:35 am midweek last week. Headed for the Fast Track lane (there was a sizeable queue in the Slow Track non-EU lane), but was shunted off to a FT holding pen. As my prior FT entry a couple of weeks earlier had been relatively painless, I couldn't believe this was FT and asked if it really was. The staffer had the grace to look embarassed. It took me a few minutes to even find the entrance to the pen due to its poor placement smack dab in the midst of the entering hordes--finally someone opened a rope for me. There must have been 50+ people in the queue. Okay, but the queue wasn't moving, until, after 5 or 6 minutes, they let 4 people go stand in another queue and we inched forward. Seemed like a big waste of an FT pass and the inertia was bothering me, so I went into the "regular" line, which was moving regularly. Took just under an hour, but I felt like I was progressing the entire time. To be fair, the FT holding pen cleared out within 40 minutes, so I could presumably have saved myself 15-20 minutes, but as I see no signs of improvement in the process I'm just as glad I saved the FT pass, which I'll horde to use sometime when I'm coming off WT+ and there's no holding pen for FT.

I know some Flyer Talk members, adorned with all their frequent flyer "honours" like so many Ruritanian generals, seem to think that God sits at their right hand, but RFrost should thank Providence that she won in the lottery of life and does not have to go through a very similar procedure when entering the United States - especially at the airports serving New York.

I am not saying that what happened to RFrost is necessarily right, but she should learn to take in the larger picture instead of complaining as she did. It will reduce her blood pressure no end, and enable her to enjoy a far better quality of life.

LTN Phobia Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by 45128 (Post 18911834)
I know some Flyer Talk members, adorned with all their frequent flyer "honours" like so many Ruritanian generals, seem to think that God sits at their right hand, but RFrost should thank Providence that she won in the lottery of life and does not have to go through a very similar procedure when entering the United States - especially at the airports serving New York.

I am not saying that what happened to RFrost is necessarily right, but she should learn to take in the larger picture instead of complaining as she did. It will reduce her blood pressure no end, and enable her to enjoy a far better quality of life.

That's a bit unfair on rfrost - it's not a nice experience to queue for that long for anyone, anywhere, and I think we SHOULD complain, or nothing will get done about it.

Do we turn into a doormat just because who we are dealing with a government agency/department? Wouldn't we complain if we had to queue for 40 minutes to check in for a flight? I think we would.

I have been very lucky and EWR was blissfully quiet when I arrived there. I have also been very lucky at LHR and it was blissfully quiet at times, but not so quiet at others. I have been very thankful for FT transfer desk very recently because the standard queue was shocking.

I think we have a bit of an arrival time lottery in terms of the queues at all the LHR terminals at the moment, but we really should peacefully express our dissatisfaction the length of the wait if we are dissatisfied.

exilencfc Jul 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 18910198)
At IAD I've had anything from <5 minutes to >60 minutes. Typically <30 these days, on the BA217 arrival at 1300-ish.
Depends on which International flight gets to Immigration first!

At LHR, on a UK chipped passport at 06**, never more than 10 mins and usually <5.

Lat time I went to the USA (admittedly in March) I got out of EWR faster than I got out of Heathrow. OK the US system recognised me and I didn't have to go through the full fingerprinting etc but that doesn't change the fact that the line was shorter and faster moving.

Globaliser Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 18912276)
Wouldn't we complain if we had to queue for 40 minutes to check in for a flight?

I hate to break this news to FTers, who will no doubt rarely experience this.

But there's good reason why Bronze/Ruby has real value if you're regularly an economy passenger. Maybe not at T5, but certainly in many other places.

Top of climb Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Long queues at T5 border control

I just arrived in DFW. At least 10 desks open for non-residents. When last I arrived at T5, Border Farce had 3.

squeeler Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm

The other end

To follow on from Globaliser, I was in a huge hurry in T5 this morning (combination of taxi no-show and the M25) having to have my passport checked. It was great to be able to go to the F area. Even the CW queues were long, and the economy ones looked to be of the <30 mins variety.
Incidentally, if any American complaints about Heathrow immigration, refer them to Newark at 1 pm today. 2 hours to get through, snaking queue about 80 yards long, with 8 loops. Approx 8 booths of a total 60 manned. And what gives the right to fat, black, big haired women in tight red waistcoats the right to yell at all and sundry? And what possible threat or danger is using a phone in the immigration area? Hmmm....

Gshumway Jul 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc (Post 18912535)
Lat time I went to the USA (admittedly in March) I got out of EWR faster than I got out of Heathrow. OK the US system recognised me and I didn't have to go through the full fingerprinting etc but that doesn't change the fact that the line was shorter and faster moving.

I love how I, as a legal resident with green card, get still finger printed and photographed every time I re-enter the US. But at least at SFO I have not had any long waits in multiple years now. Yes, I usual fly up front, but I am a slow walker, usual visit a certain place on the way to passport control, so I am never one of the first to arrive, yet I haven't had any longer wait then 1-3 people in front of me. I love SFO as international arrival.

CatchThePigeon Jul 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by squeeler (Post 18919319)
To follow on from Globaliser, I was in a huge hurry in T5 this morning (combination of taxi no-show and the M25) having to have my passport checked. It was great to be able to go to the F area. Even the CW queues were long, and the economy ones looked to be of the <30 mins variety.
Incidentally, if any American complaints about Heathrow immigration, refer them to Newark at 1 pm today. 2 hours to get through, snaking queue about 80 yards long, with 8 loops. Approx 8 booths of a total 60 manned. And what gives the right to fat, black, big haired women in tight red waistcoats the right to yell at all and sundry? And what possible threat or danger is using a phone in the immigration area? Hmmm....

Hopefully it wouldn't make a difference to you if it was a skinny, white woman with a loose fitting dress and comfortable shoes that was doing the shouting.

Anyway, if you want to avoid queues at LHR this summer then between now and mid-August is the time to travel. The place is staffed to the rafters and with separate procedures for Olympic Accredited folk, it will a stroll in the park getting through immigration this summer. ;)

oxtailsoup Jul 13, 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup (Post 18910568)
I will be arriving into T5 from JNB and then transferring to a domestic BA flight to MAN.

Is this a different route through passport control at T5 and how does it compare queue wise ?

From C gate to border control to security to Flounge in 30 minutes :)

Border control for domestic connections was busier than normal but still just 10 minutes.

ballogie Jul 13, 2012 1:01 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon (Post 18920862)
comfortable shoes ;)

You've gone too far there my friend :)

EK029 Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 18904207)
You are suggesting that the UK use the CBP wait times in the USA as a benchmark? I am sure that will go over quite well. The fact that somebody does something worse than you does not mean you are doing it right. Especially when EU countries next door (who compete for your business) do it so much better.

FYI the lines at US airports are often just as long for US citizens - I've sometimes seen CBP shift citizens to the non-US line and vice versa (something you don't see much at LHR). Of course I don't wait in line any more thanks to Global Entry - you would think that could be linked with the UK Iris scan (as we have done with the Dutch) but that would require us to find a needle in the haystack, i.e. somebody in government who actually cares about efficiency.

Honestly I think the whole exercise is a waste of time. If some terrorist or economic immigrants really wants to get into the country there are many ways to do it. The # that come through airports is pretty low (and the # that get admitted anyway is pretty high). Better to redeploy scarce resources to more efficient endeavours and reduce aggravation for everyone.

Agreed.

I find it deeply ironic that other countries, particularly in Europe (albeit for an EU passport), are quite happy to look at the passport quickly before waving you through.

Yet the UK *insists* on scanning and glaring determinedly at its own nationals' passport every time upon re-entry.

It can only be described as stupidity.

stifle Jul 16, 2012 2:58 pm

I agree with you. The official UK reasoning for it is to detect cancelled, stolen, and forged passports.

paulwuk Jul 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 18941555)
I agree with you. The official UK reasoning for it is to detect cancelled, stolen, and forged passports.

How does the glare help with that?