Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying CW for first time

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Flying CW for first time

Newbie to CW (777) here. Does the seat actually fold down as far as it looks and become something one can sleep (vs. doze) on? After years of riding long haul in the coach it seems too good to be true...

Anything else a CW n00b should know? Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
A great place to start would be here.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by flyer3234
Newbie to CW (777) here. Does the seat actually fold down as far as it looks and become something one can sleep (vs. doze) on? After years of riding long haul in the coach it seems too good to be true...

Anything else a CW n00b should know? Thanks!
You get a flat bed. Yes, FLAT. More links incoming
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird66
A great place to start would be here.
Oh, you are quick!!

Mountains more information on the buttons on the Thread.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh … and Welcome to FT, where you are now part of a caring community.

Your grammar and spelling will be corrected occasionally, humo[u]r is mandatory, and … don't mention Chase without searching the Forum first
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster

You guys are fast! Thanks for those threads -- I couldn't find them when I searched previously, but was obviously Doing It Wrong (tm).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT flyer3234. ^

There is loads of information in this recent thread.

In my view this is an essential bit for a Club World newbie to understand.

Getting the Most from Your Club World Seat/Bed

It would be a real shame to spend so much money on the Club World seat only to not use it properly. So get to know how to use the seat properly and you will have a much more enjoyable and fulfilling flight.

• Your seat should come with a guide to its use in the magazine pocket. Study this guide when you get on board, and don't be afraid to ask the crew for help - that's what they're there for!

• The Footrest. The secret to getting the most comfort possible out of your Club World seat is to know how to use the footrest. It is sturdy, but not indestructible and should not be used for sitting or standing on. Factoid: the footrest contains more than 200 parts!

Sometimes the footrest is a little difficult to move. Giving it a good hard tug will normally get it going. And once you have moved it once it is then easier to move subsequent times.

The footrest has four possible positions. It can be moved to 'high' and 'low' positions and in each can be positioned either parallel to the floor or at an angle, described here as 'diagonal'.

1. Parallel to the floor - low position: Use this position when the seat is in the lounge/take-off position to give your feet some pleasant support

2. Diagonal - low position: Use this position when the seat is much more reclined but not fully flat - the so-called Z position - tilt the screen towards you when in this position and put your pillow behind your head and this is a very comfortable way to watch the in-flight entertainment. The Z position is handy for taller people who wish to relax but feel constrained by the seat length.

3. Parallel to the floor - high position: Use this position when you want to put the seat in the fully flat (bed) mode.

4. Diagonal to the floor - high position: No known use for this position.

• Before landing, look for the button with an aircraft icon on it on your seat controls and use it – your seat must be in the set position for take-off/landing. It’ll help the crew if you do this yourself in advance.
Have a great flight! And remember, the anticipation is 50% of the experience! So go and have a look on http://www.newclubworld.com and look at pictures of the seat on http://www.airliners.net to start getting excited!

You might also enjoy my trip reports on Club World:
* BAH-LHR-DOH
* DXB-LHR-DXB
* LHR-BAH-DOH
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer3234
You guys are fast! Thanks for those threads -- I couldn't find them when I searched previously, but was obviously Doing It Wrong (tm).
Dumb is good … it makes the rest of us feel useful

BTW, do find a moment to update your profile so we all know your home airport, airline status and stuff like that. It helps to know who we're insulting

Last edited by T8191; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Glad I saw this. I'll be a club world newbie going to Toronto in June (only ever flown business on AA metal before), so the footrest info is very useful. Looks like I'll be in the main cabin though, only 3 seats left on the upper deck both ways).

Thanks from another CW newbie!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Glad I saw this. I'll be a club world newbie going to Toronto in June (only ever flown business on AA metal before), so the footrest info is very useful. Looks like I'll be in the main cabin though, only 3 seats left on the upper deck both ways).

Thanks from another CW newbie!
Welcome ... And please stay on the main deck until you're at least Bronze

Footrest ... Pshaw, it's a bed or anything you want it be (within the bounds of decency)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Welcome ... And please stay on the main deck until you're at least Bronze
That'll be on the way back then. Not worried where I am for the return tbh, am on the sleeper service!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Don't do what i did and try and pull the divider up manually. There's a button on top, either side of the divider that operates it. Not sure why i was fiddling with it anyway, as my wife was in the next seat.

Relax and enjoy yourself. And most important of all, savour the lampshades. They look so out of place on a plane but i love them.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, FB Gold, TK Gold
In the dark days BFT, I'm pretty sure I took about 10 flights in CW until I realised the footrest actually moved. Since that time I have been slowly working on the ability to flip it up/down, and also to crank it up/down to the Z position using only my feet. Well....it passes the time somewhat...!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Looks like I'll be in the main cabin though, only 3 seats left on the upper deck both ways).
we have always found seats upstairs by checking-in online (OLCI) exactly 24 hours before departure.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I spent many years flying in economy as well and don't sleep any better in CW to be honest even with the flat bed. The extra space is wonderful to have though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.