Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancelled by AA; BA/AA Rebooked & Shortened Layover Significantly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos

Normally flyers are interested in shorter layovers, but when traveling with small children, layovers of 1.5-2.5 hours - in my experience - are better as a "break" from flying and to ensure plenty of time to make connection. Using Executive Club miles, my wife and I booked flights MLI-DFW-SNA and SNA-ORD-MLI for February. We made the bookings in late July, but AA now has cancelled the specific DFW-SNA and SNA-ORD segments on which we were booked. BA Executive Club rebooked the 2 segments. SNA-ORD is fine, leaving a 2 hour layover. Originally, we also had intentionally booked a 2 hr 35 min layover in DFW.

MLI-DFW + DFW-SNA, however, was changed from a 2 hrs & 35 min layover to a 55 min layover, even though there were "7" spots available on a flight which would have made the layover closer to what we had originally (2 hrs & 10 min) and another which also would have been a little long, but better than 55 min (3 hrs). I was on the phone with BA Executive Club representatives twice yesterday, and both representatives informed me - though the 2nd one was much better at explaining it - that the MLI-DFW & DFW-SNA segments are "married" as one booking and cannot be adjusted. They only could be adjusted if there were other rewards spots available on MLI-DFW, which there are not.

I am satisfied with the fact that I still have a flight and knowing that, if we miss our connection due to weather in MLI or other issues, that it becomes AA's responsibility to get us to SNA. However, I am annoyed that BA didn't book us on either of the flights which most closely reflect the time frames we originally had sought. They also did not notify us of the cancellation via e-mail, and my wife and I have 2 separate bookings (3 seats on my account, 2 seats on hers for 5 total), so both of us should have received e-mails. I only noticed the change when I logged in to double-check flight times for the rental car reservation.

In the experience of experts on this board, is there anything which I can do to amend the outbound 2nd leg? If not, I am happy to keep what I have and make the best of it. We will just make sure to rush to our second flight the moment that we deplane in DFW. I'm also really hoping for good weather for our takeoff in the midwest, as that probably is the biggest wildcard.

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Dec 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.