Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick check in times for EU flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: California, Ex-AA Exec Plat (1999,2000,2002), AA Lifetime Plat
Gatwick check in times for EU flight

I'm traveling on BA to Sicily (Wednesday, Sept 7th 5 pm departure) after a weeks stay in London.

AA Platinum (Oneworld Sapphire). US Passport. No luggage to check-in provided there aren't crazy luggage enforcers -- never been told my 22" carry-on is too large (knocking on wood as I type).

If I arrive at the south terminal railway station at 2:48 pm, am I cutting it too close? Even taking the monorail between South and North, I think I should be in the North terminal by 3:00 pm which gives me a two hour check-in.

I'm totally uncertain as to how crowded LGW is, whether I will be able to use shorter check in line based on OW Sapphire, if there are any departing customs hoops going to an EU country, and how bad security will be.

I did try searching first. What I found said that since I am in "coach" I'm not eligible for a "fast track" security sticker (here in the states, AA Platinum sill always get you into the shorter security line even with a "coach" fare ticket). The various threads also seemed to imply security should be no worse than 20-25 minutes.

Any thoughts if I've allowed enough time?

Last edited by aafflyer; Aug 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
2hrs is more than enough. No worries!

Just don't take the lift up to the Galleries lounges, because otherwise you will miss your flight. Use the stairs.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Sounds like plenty of time to me. Can you check in online and print your BP? No passport checks, just security.

How sure are you of arriving at 2.48? That sounds like misplaced confidence in our wonderful railway network!

FWIW, if I already had my BP and no checked bags, I'd happily arrive at 3.48 and still expect plenty of linger time in the lounge.

Last edited by mad_rich; Aug 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm Reason: spleling
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am sure you will be fine.

As long as you have your boarding card by an hour before the flight closes and make your way immediately through security I cannot see how there could be any difficulties under normal conditions.

For peace of mind since you have no bags to check in why not check in online and print your own boarding card at home. That way you will only need to get to LGW in time to get through security and to the gate.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aafflyer
I did try searching first. What I found said that since I am in "coach" I'm not eligible for a "fast track" security sticker (here in the states, AA Platinum sill always get you into the shorter security line even with a "coach" fare ticket).
This is a feature of Gatwick. You could use the fast track at Heathrow.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
P.S. Somebody will be along in a minute to point out that it's not actually a monorail. Not me though
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It isn't?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I didn't know if I could do online check-in for an EU flight being a US citizen. My first thought was two hours was plenty, but it's my wife's first foreign trip and she thought I might be cutting it too close.

Me, 2.4 million miles on AA; her, just got her passport after 30+ years of marriage. Me, no fun unless your running to the gate. Her, is there shopping at the airport?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BA would never know (in your case, OLCI) that you're a US citizen until you reach the gate. (Or does Italy require APIS?)

In any case, any nationality can do OLCI. Don't worry. 2 hours is plenty.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
2 hours is plenty, with no hold luggage to check-in especially so.

As others have stated, check-in online and print your own BP, security at LGW(N) isnt bad even if you dont have fast track access which again as others have said you only get if your travelling in CE/CW/F.

However you get all the other benefits of Oneworld Sapphire, so you will get the lounge access, extra baggage if you wanted etc.

The lounge at LGW is nice, good views of the runway and gates, one tip i would give you is to get the attention of one of the lounge staff and ask for champers

cs
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
How sure are you of arriving at 2.48? That sounds like misplaced confidence in our wonderful railway network!

FWIW, if I already had my BP and no checked bags, I'd happily arrive at 3.48 and still expect plenty of linger time in the lounge.
I have no idea if my trust in the railway is misplaced, but I do know I will be on the 2:17 pm Southern Railway departure from Victoria Station. I mean, how could I pass up the 7.40 GBP advanced purchase total fare for two people

Have to choose my evils, allow for more time for shopping at Gatwick or more time for shopping in London before heading for Gatwick. Might be a lose / lose question though...

Last edited by aafflyer; Aug 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
BA would never know (in your case, OLCI) that you're a US citizen until you reach the gate. (Or does Italy require APIS?)

In any case, any nationality can do OLCI. Don't worry. 2 hours is plenty.
I've already done all the APIS info at BA manage your booking site, so based on the excellent feedback here, I'm confident that I'm all set. Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by aafflyer
I didn't know if I could do online check-in for an EU flight being a US citizen. My first thought was two hours was plenty, but it's my wife's first foreign trip and she thought I might be cutting it too close.

Me, 2.4 million miles on AA; her, just got her passport after 30+ years of marriage. Me, no fun unless your running to the gate. Her, is there shopping at the airport?
Although you could leave less than two hours, why rush?!

You can go through security and relax in the lounge which has a great view over the airfield. And you can enjoy that whilst your wife goes shopping

Yes, LGW has shops, not as many or as upmarket as LHR T5 but there's a Ted Baker, Fat Face, Mango, Next, JJB Sports, Shoe Studio, Hugo Boss, Sunglass Hut, Jo Malone, Lacoste, Dixons, Harrods and the favourite of most BA staff - Rituals which sells candles, beauty products and the like.
There's also a Boots pharmacy and 2 WH Smith newsagents.
On the mezzanine level you have various dining options if you fancy something a bit more than in the lounge. There's Cafe Rouge, Garfunkels, Armadillo Cafe, Eat, Shake a Hula, Caffe Nero, Costa and a couple of bars. There's also the seafood bar on the main concourse.
Lots to do
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
It isn't?
Nope: http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d8001409d

I'll be at Gatwick too on that day though I'm departing out of South and earlier on in the day. I wouldn't stress. 2 hours is plenty.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Fat Face
Although my missus spends a fortune in the shops your one @LGW actually carried a larger range compared to some of our local stores !

sale currently on if anyone is interested and i think quidco offers 7%

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.