FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1199776-clinic-thread-why-ba-s-award-availability-so-bad-why-fees-so-high.html)

dark_blue Mar 30, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 22611042)
I'm having the same sort of problem for LHR-IAD in Sep, when the 380 starts going there. It has been suggested to me (and I have no reason to dispute the view) ... that RevMan don't have historic data to punch into their program to determine what to do in respect of award availability.

So they may be back to paper and pencil, and an inspired guess? At least I have 6 months to them to chew it over ... Your scenario is certainly a bit tense.

That would make sense. Although it's usually so random that I'd assumed it was always done on the back of an envelope.

Charles777 Apr 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Why are taxes so high on redemption bookings?

Hi all
Just trying to book an a reward ticket in business LHR-MAD-MEX on Iberia and then MEX-LHR on BA in First. The taxes are coming out at £650! I know from past experience that flying directly from LHR in premium cabins is super expensive but we are flying out via MAD. Last year did a LHR-CDG-KUL-LHR for about £250 in tax which was low due to the outbound from London only being to CDG not to KUL.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Charlie

marble Apr 27, 2014 2:47 pm

If you're not having a stopover of 24 hours or more in MAD, then the departure tax is calculated based on your final destination (MEX) and will be £170 or so.

A quick check suggests the bulk of the remainder is 'fuel surcharge' (YQ) and is £350-£400. BA (and I guess Iberia) make you pay the 'fuel surcharge' when you fly with them ... other airlines in the alliance don't (CX for example). I guess last year you flew with an airline which doesn't make you pay that surchage.

The rest is various taxes and passenger charges ... about £80.

Skipcool3 Apr 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Check out www.headforpoints.com

If you fly ex LHR you will get hit with the high charges.

Consider booking LHR -MAD as a RFS (revenue flight saver)
And a separate flight MAD onwards.

You will have to factor in extra time too.
this post particularly helpful
http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/11...ios-on-iberia/

neuromancer Apr 27, 2014 3:32 pm

If you fly Iberia, you save a lot of cash if you book from an Iberia+ account. You can transfer the avios from BAEC at no cost, but the IB+ account must be 90 days old

Mwenenzi Apr 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Charles777 (Post 22770240)
Just trying to book an a reward ticket in business LHR-MAD-MEX on Iberia and then MEX-LHR on BA in First. The taxes are coming out at £650!........

Originally Posted by neuromancer (Post 22770467)
If you fly Iberia, you save a lot of cash if you book from an Iberia+ account......

This may for an AA award. Charles777 other thread on this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...igh-taxes.html

Never confuse real taxes paid to governments with carrier imposed fees (~profit)

UKtravelbear Apr 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 22770496)

Never confuse real taxes paid to governments with carrier imposed fees (~profit)

Indeed.

Poster should have a look at the detailed fare breakdown and will see that the biggest element of those 'taxes' is actually 'fuel surcharge' or 'international carriage fee'. Neither of which are taxes but 100% controlled and collected by the airline.

sammyg901 Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

Not sure if it helps anyone and I haven't had a good poke around but it seems like a lot of NYC - LON availability has opened up for summer - the BA180 daylight service seems to be available every day!!

djpearce Apr 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Using Avios YVR ( Vancouver) to LHR

I'm having a ridiculous time booking reward seats YVR to LHR in business or First, or at all, for that matter. This despite the fact that as of my last dummy booking, there were no less than 30 business class seats per flight vacant between now and the next four days ( yes on each flight). Wouldn't one think that BA would release some seats for rewards rather than have the seats go unused? Very frustrating! I have tried booking from nearby airports to LHR, but why should one have to with so many seats available from YVR? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Duncan

nux Apr 29, 2014 1:28 am

Originally Posted by djpearce (Post 22777369)
I'm having a ridiculous time booking reward seats YVR to LHR in business or First, or at all, for that matter.

CW availability YVR-LON:
29/May
2/June
8/June
7/July
14/July
21/July
27/July
Stopped looking

F availability YVR-LON:
29/May
2/June
7/June
23/June
13/July
20/July
28/July
Stopped looking

Originally Posted by djpearce (Post 22777369)
This despite the fact that as of my last dummy booking, there were no less than 30 business class seats per flight vacant between now and the next four days ( yes on each flight).

How are you determining there are "no less than 30 business class seats per flight vacant"? If you are just counting unallocated seats on the seat map, then that is no indication of the booked load.

BA charges non-status customers for seat allocation, so a lot will remain unallocated until ~25hrs before the flight, at which time you cannot view it online unless you are booked on the flight.

You can use the fare bucket availability as a guidance for the booked load, but this only shows the seats BA is willing to sell (and numbers are not cumulative).

In the next few days CW looks quite full.

Availability today is: F6 A4 J8 C0
Tomorrow: F9 A9 J3 C0
Next: F9 A8 J9 C4
Next: F8 A7 J6 C0
Next: F9 A9 J9 C1

JesW May 12, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 22611042)
I'm having the same sort of problem for LHR-IAD in Sep, when the 380 starts going there. It has been suggested to me (and I have no reason to dispute the view) ... that RevMan don't have historic data to punch into their program to determine what to do in respect of award availability.

So they may be back to paper and pencil, and an inspired guess? At least I have 6 months to them to chew it over ... Your scenario is certainly a bit tense.

Ahhh, so is this why there is literally nothing in CW for PHL-LHR on BA68 for the next 3 months?

T8191 May 12, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by JesW (Post 22850406)
Ahhh, so is this why there is literally nothing in CW for PHL-LHR on BA68 for the next 3 months?

Probably because you are bit late grabbing the few seats on offer? Anything US East Coast has gone weird in recent months.

JesW May 12, 2014 10:07 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 22850682)
Probably because you are bit late grabbing the few seats on offer? Anything US East Coast has gone weird in recent months.

Maybe so, though I did manage to upgrade the outward leg last week....will keep looking and hoping, hoping and looking...

T8191 May 12, 2014 10:31 am

Originally Posted by JesW (Post 22851131)
Maybe so, though I did manage to upgrade the outward leg last week....will keep looking and hoping, hoping and looking...

Like you, I have a UuA to CW outbound to IAD in Sep, and just hoping we don't have to do WT+ coming home. :(

rj123456 May 17, 2014 2:43 am

Avios or Trivios ?

I used to think that BA's fees (aka "Fuel Surcharges" "YQ") were the same whether the ticket was booked on BA.com or on a partner site.

But I just priced out SEA-LHR in F(Z), (open jaw), BOM-LHR-SFO in J(U) for 2 passengers.
AA.com quotes 285,000 AAdvantage miles + $2,598.14
BA.com quotes 150000 Avios + $ 953.00 for the inbound and 200000 Avios + $ 1,397.98 for the return, per person = 350K Avios + $4,701.96

Is this robbery or what?
If Delta's points are Skypesos, then BA's should be Trivios.