FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1199776-clinic-thread-why-ba-s-award-availability-so-bad-why-fees-so-high.html)

SteveF Feb 25, 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by DG55 (Post 22379568)
Has anyone noticed different availability showing for different accounts? Me and my wife are seeing completely different availability in CW LHR > ORD in March...

Is that when using the Award Availability Map or for specific dates using the booking calendar?

If it's the former then I'm not surprised since the results are made up by a random date generator. If it's the latter then that is strange.

Furton Feb 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 22363821)
This is the bit of information that's been missing so far.

ISTR that there's a known bug in the booking engine which puts a WT+ --> CW UuA booking into W class if there's more than one sector involved, even though there are lower booking classes available for a cash ticket. That may be what you're seeing.

Yes, you could book the cash ticket online and then phone to UuA. Or you could phone to book the whole thing in one go, which would avoid the risk of the award availability vanishing before you can grab it post-cash booking - although in that situation you might be able to avail yourself of the 24 hour cancellation policy.

Thanks for the advice. More CW award availability opened up today and managed to book and upgrade my WT+ seat to CW on the outbound, just going to keep watching for the inbound availability to open up!

First CW flight booked to celebrate my 30th, very happy! ^

63J/K are as well as 64 A/B are available for selection, any preference on which I should be going for?

Furton Mar 8, 2014 5:20 am

Apologies for the amount of questions on this one however return availability has opened up on my return date however its not the same flight. I.e. there's a later flight from JFK or an earlier one from EWR on a 777. Should I bite the bullet and pay £100 change fee and get the CW upgrade?

Is it still a sleeper service from EWR?

rtlaw Mar 12, 2014 8:35 am

I am trying to get from Singapore to Dubai in early May. I booked 3 Avios Awards (Biz) but don't like the routing.

(CX 710) Sin -Hkg (5/5)
(CX 645) Hkg-Doh (5/5)
(QR 1006) Doh-Dxb

I don't want to leave SIN so early and don't want to overnight at the DOH lounge (although I heard it's nice.

I called BA and they said there is no award space on alternative routings/flights.

How much in advance of the flight date does BA open up more space (I know it won't be easy for 3 seats but the BA agent said there are seats just not award seats available.

Any advice?

stifle Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by rtlaw (Post 22509521)
How much in advance of the flight date does BA open up more space (I know it won't be easy for 3 seats but the BA agent said there are seats just not award seats available.

Nobody knows. There is no pattern.

Any advice?

Check every day, and if you see availability, jump on it right away.

nux Mar 12, 2014 9:32 am

I am trying to get from Singapore to Dubai in early May. I booked 3 Avios Awards (Biz) but don't like the routing.

(CX 710) Sin -Hkg (5/5)
(CX 645) Hkg-Doh (5/5)
(QR 1006) Doh-Dxb

I don't want to leave SIN so early and don't want to overnight at the DOH lounge (although I heard it's nice.

I called BA and they said there is no award space on alternative routings/flights.

Any advice?

BA does not fly SIN-DXB direct, and your only option for flying BA would be SIN-LHR-DXB which is probably not ideal.

BA does not control other oneworld partner award availability. There is no direct oneworld option for SIN-DXB.

Your main options are:
CX SIN-HKG-DXB
MH SIN-KUL-DXB
QR SIN-DOH-DXB

It is down to CX, MH and QR as to award availability on their flights even though you are redeeming with avios through BAEC.

rtlaw Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 22509857)
BA does not fly SIN-DXB direct, and your only option for flying BA would be SIN-LHR-DXB which is probably not ideal.

BA does not control other oneworld partner award availability. There is no direct oneworld option for SIN-DXB.

Your main options are:
CX SIN-HKG-DXB
MH SIN-KUL-DXB
QR SIN-DOH-DXB

It is down to CX, MH and QR as to award availability on their flights even though you are redeeming with avios through BAEC.

Thanks for the explanation-so even the BA agent doesn't know if and when, because these are other airlines (even though OneWorld members)

Globaliser Mar 12, 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by rtlaw (Post 22510549)
... so even the BA agent doesn't know if and when, because these are other airlines (even though OneWorld members)

The BA agent wouldn't even know if or when additional BA award space might come available - the answer is always maybe, maybe not.

BertiebassUK Mar 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Just having a look at availability at the moment, with nothing that suits. If I called BAEC, would they have access to seats that we can't see? Or will they be going from the same info? Happy to wait in the queue to get through, if it means I can get my flights.

Thanks.

UA Fan Mar 12, 2014 12:43 pm

BA's Y award availability seems to be pretty good.

nux Mar 13, 2014 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BertiebassUK (Post 22511073)
Just having a look at availability at the moment, with nothing that suits. If I called BAEC, would they have access to seats that we can't see? Or will they be going from the same info? Happy to wait in the queue to get through, if it means I can get my flights.

Thanks.

Although there have been some reports of agents finding availability that isn't shown online, I think it is either that the person has not been using the correct BAEC search (searching by route and date rather than the award map) or it includes connecting flights.

So assuming you are looking for BA direct flights I would be almost certain that the agent will not find anything additional to the correct BA search tool. However by all means call up if you wish.

stifle Mar 13, 2014 5:02 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 22511101)
BA's Y award availability seems to be pretty good.

You're confusing us with people who want to fly in whY ;)

zkzkz Mar 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Why do I do this to myself? Why does this always seem to happen this way?

I'm looking for availability for UuA for three flights. I check every day for weeks. One of them has a single seat open up so i call right away in a panic and upgrade that flight.

Then I make the mistake of looking at that flight again the next day -- three seats are now available. And they stay that way for days. Of course neither of the other flights have space available.

(Not that I'm complaining. So far with BA I've gotten upgrades on 100% of the eligible flight I tried to upgrade.)

planetq Mar 14, 2014 4:34 am

Does not matter getting Avios when you can't use

Looking for ANY availability to upgrade to business with Avios between
any US city and Heathrow ANYTIME this summer.
All calendars of availability are clear white. Might as well have a British comedian laughing in the background.
Another summer of blocked upgrade seats.

darthlemsip Mar 14, 2014 4:54 am

The calendar is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

Use something like award nexus if you want to automate searching, or be patient and do it manually otherwise