Wiki Posts
Search

Air Miles Andy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Air Miles Andy

From today's DT - in my print edition the headline was: Air Miles Andy and a very handy stopover in New York
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-New-York.html

This really got my goat so have written to the editor. See below. Am I mad? I know you all love talking about flying, and may even enjoy the experience occasionally, but I think over all, it can be a fairly miserable and lonely existence.

Will let you know if I see it published.

Dear Sir

Re Air Miles Andy and a very handy stopover in New York
Daily Telegraph 5th October pg3

So far this calendar year I have flown just shy of 100,000 miles by air, the majority of which were for business travel. It's exhausting - especially over a short interval and regardless of the class of travel.

To suggest anyone does this for fun is totally misguided. (In The Duke's case he had official appointments to attend.)

Splitting the airfare in two by night stopping in a city en route to your destination is often cheaper on a total cost basis and helps with jet lag. Hotel rooms and room service aren't much fun when you spend more time on the road than at home.

And who wouldn't take the opportunity to catch up with a friend or family member in the same city given the rare opportunity?

Yours faithfully, etc.

26left
PS I know many FT members will have flown a lot more than me this year!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
people don't tend to understand to be fair, on here you are likely to have a more sympathetic audience

I woke up on Milan the other week, up in the morning, and didn't know which town I was in, curtains were closed, and had five live on like I do everywhere in the world to make it as close to being at home as possible.

Opened the curtains, thought oh there you are Milan, got down for a very quick breakfast and made way to airport for connecting flight to another town in Italy.

never went anywhere but ABZ, LHR LIN, a bus to the hotel, sleep, a bus back and a taxi to a meeting in TRS.

Its just like catching a bus to the other side of the village, hard to put into words really
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Amen. The bit that usually freaks me out is when the hotel room decor is identical regardless of the city or country. I usually trade hotel points for a small, personal hotel whenever I can.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Air Miles Andy can fly in normal class and stay in regular hotels like the rest of us. If he wants first class luxury he must pay from his own pocket.
Originally Posted by Sword of Truth
Time to end the disastrous democratic experiment?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:56 am

A friend had a visit at work from AirmilesAa few weeks ago, funny guy he told me.

Do they have a household account for Buckingham palace
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 26left
From today's DT - in my print edition the headline was: Air Miles Andy and a very handy stopover in New York

This really got my goat so have written to the editor. See below. Am I mad?
In a word yes....

Whilst you and others actually work and travel for work this is a free loader of the first order. He could not hold down a real job if he had too and is frankly a continuing embarrassment to the UK.

When a paper like the Telegraph goes after members of the Royal Family you can be pretty sure something is very wrong....it is hardly a bastion of republicanism.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 5, 2013 at 7:42 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:44 am

Shouldn't he be called Avios Andy now?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by binman

This really got my goat so have written to the editor. See below. Am I mad?
In a word yes....

Whilst you and others actually work and travel for work this is a free loader of the first order. He could not hold down a real job if he had too and is frankly a continuing embarrassment to the UK

When a paper like the Telegraph goes after members of the Royal Family you can be pretty sure something is very wrong....it is hardly a bastion of republicanism.
here here

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 5, 2013 at 7:43 am Reason: Repair quotation frames
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by enjoyingit
here here
You might of repaired their typo as well Prospero.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good on him I say. ^

Our Presidents plane made a fuel stop in the Seychelles but instead of continuing she decided to stopover for a couple of days to shop and stay at an exclusive resort.
Now that's a real waste of tax payers money.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Amen. The bit that usually freaks me out is when the hotel room decor is identical regardless of the city or country. I usually trade hotel points for a small, personal hotel whenever I can.
Slightly off topic, I know, but you'll know that the time to hang up your wheelie bag for good has arrived when you wake up and peer around the room with bleary eyes, wondering which city/country/continent you are in today before realising that you're actually at home and have, somewhere down the line, subconsciously decorated your own bedroom in precisely the same style as every hotel chain in the world. If you then notice that your living room furniture is arranged in a 2-2 config, particularly if the armchairs are facing in opposite directions, you may need to seek professional help.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a few people who will complain about his habits. The Royal family do help the UK out.

Do we need all of them, well its like every large company. There are always one or two who are a little workshy in all companies. Send him abroad and let everyone work hard at home.

The Royal family do employ lots of people, we cant complain about that at this time of economy cycle.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
By remarrying Fergie and keeping her high and tight, he is really doing us all a public service.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gonesouth
You might of repaired their typo as well Prospero.
might have repaired their typo
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:09 pm

I love how the headline states "only the Duke of York can rely on the taxpayer to help cover the cost of the trip", then the actual article states "since he left Indonesia, the Duke’s expenses and those of his personal staff travelling with him have been partly paid by the Duke and partly by the Royal United Services Institute, which he has been representing, but the cost of his Scotland Yard bodyguards is taxpayer-funded at all times."

So in other words, the taxpayer didn't actually pay for the trip at all... Presumably he needs some sort of security anywhere he goes, and moaning about having to provide security to someone basically representing our head of state is ridiculous...

While I see the arguments for having an elected head of state, dysfunctional government after dysfunctional government isn't a brilliant advertisement for ditching the Queen and getting a democratic President instead. Nor is the non-stop whinging most of the public do about politicians - so they hate politicians yet want more of them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.