Wiki Posts
Search

Dear BA: Thank you

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Dear BA: Thank you

As I sit in the Star Alliance First lounge at LAX on a F flight to NRT on Singapore, I can't help but think of everything I appreciate about BA. The lounge is miserable at best; not so much for the space itself (which itself is cramped and crowded), but also for the the lack of proper food and nourishments. The only thing on offer are cold sandwiches hidden in the fridge and some lukewarm soup. There are a few Asian beers and the whisky on offer is JW Black. I'm sorry, but this doesn't even come close to the level of BA lounge; and understanding while this isn't a SQ lounge, even the J OW lounge at LAX which BA uses is miles ahead of this.

Now, I *am* looking forward to the inflight experience, however.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
I don't wish to defend *A lounges as I have found OW ones noticeably better over recent years but...

Isn't the problem that lounges in the USA are, in general, always inferior to their counterparts in europe / Asia?

- sprawling, delapidated lounges with disinterested staff
- "you're traveling First class [US domestic], that does not grant lounge access"
- bar service with the ever-present tips jar
- paying for alcohol
- uninspired (if any) food
- peeling paint, 1980s decor
- dark, dingy lighting
- etc

I can honestly say that the most dire lounges I have ever visited are all in the US. eg:

- the LO/TK/AI C/F lounge in ORD - this wins my prize for overall worst
- the LH F lounge in SFO (can't remember who they share this with)
- the UA/NH lounge in HNL
- the US lounge in LAS (possibly the bad decor police have now closed this one for its own good)
- the lounge used by SK in SEA (narrowly beating the BA lounge at SEA for the worst one in the vicinity)
- the UA lounge in ORD domestic
- the NW/KLM lounge in Memphis
- the UA lounge in LAX domestic - manys an unhappy hour spent here off a flight from LHR, waiting for the ever-delayed connection.

That's a long list and just off the top of my head!
Sorry this post was not intended to be a rant but they really just don't seem to care!

For balance, GOOD lounges in the USA
- NZ lounge in LAX
- BA pre-flight dining lounges in JFK, EWR or ORD

... can't think of any more, but I do see a pattern emerging!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:47 pm
eae
In memoriam

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
For balance, GOOD lounges in the USA
- NZ lounge in LAX
- BA pre-flight dining lounges in JFK, EWR or ORD

... can't think of any more, but I do see a pattern emerging!
I agree but would add the SFO BA lounge to the list of good lounges. Not quite as nice as the LAX NZ lounge but not far behind.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eae
I agree but would add the SFO BA lounge to the list of good lounges. Not quite as nice as the LAX NZ lounge but not far behind.
And the BA SFO lounge does have the nice position of having a door to the jetbridge. Premium boarding really does work there assuming you are sitting in the lounge beforehand.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
I have not flown BA out of SFO so can't comment - but it again looks like the OW lounges are better than the *A, especially in North America.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by toothy
And the BA SFO lounge does have the nice position of having a door to the jetbridge. Premium boarding really does work there assuming you are sitting in the lounge beforehand.
Agree there, and of course get to see the aircraft right outside the window. will always be sitting in the lounge with my glass of shampoo, and of course do not have to walk too far to the aircraft.^
Old May 4, 2010, 2:02 am
Original Poster

United lounge in Tokyo

And it continues.. the selection of 'food' at the Tokyo lounge:

Old May 4, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Mind you, above served on only the fanciest paper plates. PAPER PLATES. w. t. f.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:25 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
They do have that automatic beer machine at the UA lounge at NRT, however.

Damn shame what they did to our champagne bar at the *A LHR T1 lounge though.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
I have not flown BA out of SFO so can't comment - but it again looks like the OW lounges are better than the *A, especially in North America.
Depends where you are, the Air Canada Maple leaf Lounges are generally quite nice. Miles ahead of anything United offers in the US, the same can be said for the onboard service. AC Y is better that UA J domestic I think.

Domestic USA Y flights are pretty sad, I've been on some UA flights that had a row of oxygen masks duct taped to the roof because the self opening hatches didn't work. Another flight I was on had to divert several hundred miles short of the destination to a very small airport at 2am because they didn't put enough fuel on the plane for a headwind. The airport wasn't open, so we sat on the runway until the morning. Eventually we spent 8 hours sitting on the tarmac in a 737 that was completely full and didn't have any food on board. Good times...
Old May 6, 2010, 2:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
[QUOTE=evacboy;13894861]And it continues.. the selection of 'food' at the Tokyo lounge:

As still life Dear - that is seriously quite a good picture. Food is notoriously difficult to capture on film.

That looks old, dry, tasteless, and unappealing. I have read quite dreadful reports about United's food in F from the West Coast to SID. Makes ours sounds like a banquet it is so bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.