Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to Air Filth

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Welcome to Air Filth

My travel on BA between 1989 and 2011 was to infrequent to be significant - I have noted how dirty the planes have been during the last few years, but not presumed that I'd seen enough to be able to pronounce on it being a pattern. However, now that the Continental lunatics have taken over the United asylum, I have sacked Star Alliance except for when they are significantly cheaper and/or more convenient, given that I have lifetime Gold status whether I fly with them or not, taken up the AA EXP status match, and begun to see a lot more of BA (this obviously coincides with the disappearance of BD as an alternative out of LHR). There is a lot to like - many aspects of T5, including the F lounge, the cheerfulness and helpfulness of most employees, and even the fact that notwithstanding the cutbacks in short-haul catering, BA still looks better than most competitors. One issue remains though: The aircraft really *are* uniformly *filthy* - carpets, seats, trays, the lot. The only cleaning that has manifestly been done is a cursory wiping of the loos and removing most of the litter from the seat pockets. I never saw anything like this on BD, certainly not on LH, but also not on more exotic *A partners such as SA and TK. UA, famously, transformed their fleet from filthy to tidy by introducing an inflight survey that helped them pinpoint which aircraft needed a deep cleaning the most. But BA... good Lord! In my flight today, an American lady in my row (in Y) refused to accept her drink until the FA brought her a wet towel. After simply wiping her tray, all the encrusted filth (which adhered to all other trays I could see, including mine) disappeared - it obviously hadn't seen water let alone detergent in many a day (I am not even going to try to describe what the towel looked like after the operation).

Why is BA the Struwwelpetter of European airlines? Looking at everything else - hub terminal, lounges, mileage earning, onboard catering, seat quality etc - they clearly have stayed clear of the lowest common denominators. Surely cleaning can't be that expensive compared to the rest of what they do? Are they not doing it, or do they not care whether the cleaning it gets done or not? I would be more sympathetic if it applied to cleaning out of outstations, but aircraft leaving LHR, too, look like they have not been cleaned properly or at all for many many days.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jun 8, 2012 at 11:13 am
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Paragraphs, paragraphs!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Paragraphs, paragraphs!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Paragraphs, paragraphs!
My apologies, I forget that you've all been force-fed the Daily Mail for years - I haven't, and therefore I do not add a carriage return after each full stop. But I've added one for your comfort and convenience.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I think they were only saying it as it's quite difficult to read all in one block like that. Thanks for amending it.

Nothing to do with the Daily Mail.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: BA gold
Agreed that BA planes, both LH and SH needs a good clean, and a system to keep it in that state.

Flown bmi last week, and it was surprisingly clean, this was obvious without even looking for faults.

I hope BA will learn lessons from bmi in this regard and apply it to BA to remove the grime, filth and general mess.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: IC RA
I agree.

I think the cleaners are rushed to achieve an on time departure.

I flew to Madrid in Feb on one of the new A320s, and it already looked a bit dirty & tatty.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
My apologies, I forget that you've all been force-fed the Daily Mail for years - I haven't, and therefore I do not add a carriage return after each full stop. But I've added one for your comfort and convenience.
Fair enough... I didn't get past the first sentence as my eyes were hurting. So, no idea what your rant was about (assuming it was a rant).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:14 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Grow up, people.

Yes, standards have slipped: I think it's to do with cost.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Yes, standards have slipped: I think it's to do with cost.
But presumably the other airlines the OP refers to have to consider costs too?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Agreed that BA planes, both LH and SH needs a good clean, and a system to keep it in that state.

Flown bmi last week, and it was surprisingly clean, this was obvious without even looking for faults.

I hope BA will learn lessons from bmi in this regard and apply it to BA to remove the grime, filth and general mess.
And bear in mind that on most bmi short haul flights, the cabin crew have cleaned the plane.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:29 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
The OP had more or less gained my support for his ideas - until his latest rude rant. I wonder if that was really necessary?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: BA (Silver), SPG, Hilton, GoldPoints Plus
I travelled in First to IAD a few weeks ago and it was filthy.

It looked like some maintenance had been done as there were dirty hand prints all over the roof and overhead baggage bins. Loads of them!

The windows were filthy - I used my hot towel to clean them - and there were horrible stains down the fabric next to the bulkhead.

But the final insult was the glob of bogey smeared down the back of the seat in front of me.

Not nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.