Search

Do you think I will miss my flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond

Good Morning

Currently at LCA and going to arrive at ATH around 7.15. However I have a BA flight which I must collect my baggage for and re check it and the flight is scheduled for 8.15. Do you think I will still be able to do this?

Thanks
James
Old May 14, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Strongly doubt it. I am not familiar with ATH, but that would barely be doable at any airport, except LCY.

Baggage drop off for BA will probably close at 7:30. I doubt that is enough for you to disembark, wait for luggage, collect, take it over to BA and check it in.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would put the chance at about zero
Old May 14, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jamesellis
Yes.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Currently at LCA and going to arrive at ATH around 7.15. However I have a BA flight which I must collect my baggage for and re check it and the flight is scheduled for 8.15. Do you think I will still be able to do this?
I'm afraid your chance is likely to be very close to zero.

Not only will you have to collect your baggage and re-check it, you will also have to go through immigration to get out of the country. BA gate, in addition, is a bit of a distance from the main check-in hall at ATH once you go air side.

I'd fall over in shock if you make this flight.

I'm curious to know what happened for you to end up with a one-hour connection - did your LCA-ATH flight end up being delayed or rescheduled?
Old May 14, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Someone (stupuidly) booked this for me! I can confirm that my plane arrived early (6.58) and nobody was at passport control and I was the first there and I made it to the check in desk at 7.18am and swiftly passed through security and now waiting to board. I am surprised as hell. Must be my lucky day!
Old May 14, 2014, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
Strongly doubt it. I am not familiar with ATH, but that would barely be doable at any airport, except LCY.

Baggage drop off for BA will probably close at 7:30. I doubt that is enough for you to disembark, wait for luggage, collect, take it over to BA and check it in.
Or ZRH or MUC or MLA or a load of other airports in Europe.

Please don't judge everything by London standards.

I've made a flight at ZRH (admittedly hand luggage) with a 13 min connection (due late incoming), without any special assistance.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:49 pm

Not a separate ticket but at FRA once the incoming flight was late leaving a tight connection looking impossible. I was looking forwards to this as all part of the flying experience - hotel, meals and exploration of lounges the following morning but the super efficient Germans had a car waiting at he the stairs to whisk me across the airport to the second flight. Baggage made it too.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd fall over in shock if you make this flight.
Hope the shock wasn't too bad
Old May 15, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
I once did an AAR-GOT-HEL connecting from SunAir to Finnair at GOT. SunAir got delayed and we arrived at GOT 15 minutes before departure of my AY flight to HEL. I made the connection along with my 3 pieces of luggage.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Wow! I didn't expect you would be so lucky. Some days are good ^
Old May 15, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Not a separate ticket but at FRA once the incoming flight was late leaving a tight connection looking impossible. I was looking forwards to this as all part of the flying experience - hotel, meals and exploration of lounges the following morning but the super efficient Germans had a car waiting at he the stairs to whisk me across the airport to the second flight. Baggage made it too.
Yes nice to see an airline allocating resources to assisting latecomers, rather than blindly rejecting them.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:53 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Someone (stupuidly) booked this for me! I can confirm that my plane arrived early (6.58) and nobody was at passport control and I was the first there and I made it to the check in desk at 7.18am and swiftly passed through security and now waiting to board. I am surprised as hell. Must be my lucky day!
Please PM me your lottery hot tips for the Euromillions.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well done! Nice to read some good news ^
Old May 15, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I once made a connection at DFW in under 20 minutes. I literally had to run between two terminals. It was due to my flight from LBB being severely delayed due to weather. An off duty pilot on the flight tried to get the CC to allow me to keep my carry on with me in the cabin instead of it going below to collect at the airbridge before rushing for the connection. She wouldn't allow it as the flight was full but I still made it anyway. If my LHR flight had been on time I would have missed it but luckily for me it was delayed by ten minutes meaning I arrived at the gate as the last handful of passengers were having their boarding passes scanned. It was the last LHR flight of the day so missing it would have meant staying overnight at DFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.