Brazil itinerary advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brazil itinerary advice please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure the IC is very well located for BsAs tourism. Someone I know stayed there and was disappointed in the location, although I don't know that hotel at all. OTOH if you're an elite, that can obviously be the deciding factor.

BTW, if you arrive at the Belmond in the park early enough, be sure to climb to the top of the bell tower just around sunset to see the falls in the light at dusk. Then get yourself onto the trail early in the morning, before all the outside tourists have access, so that you feel almost like you have the park fo yourself. It's blissful to stay IN the park, although if your rate includes breakfast, there's a big buffet in the main "buffet" restaurant near the pool (as opposed to the fine dining restaurant in the main building off the lobby).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Itinerary looks good. Your connection at GRU should be fine, especially if you only have hand luggage and OLCI. There's sufficient time to arrange alternative transportation to GRU in case of IRROPS at SDU (either by jumping in the first SDU-CGH and then taxi to GRU or GIG-GRU). Get to SDU 1h before your flight for this reason...

I concur with the Intercontinental in BsAs: while the location is not terrible, I'd pick the Hyatt, FS, Hilton or Sheraton, in that order. The Sofitel is also well located, although I hear the reflag was a rushed job. Or one of the independent hotels in Palermo.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
The InterContinental BA is on an employee rate too good to pass up.
Thank you all for the input and guidance - booking domestic flights now!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by essexnyc
most of one day ferry to and from Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
Are you sure about this? Boating the Tigre waterways near BA is interesting, but crossing to Uruguay (and back) in a fast ferry is just boring.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:40 am

[QUOTE=RafKa;31038282]). Get to SDU 1h before your flight for this reason../QUOTE]

One hour is NOT enough. I have been denied boarding in Brazil when I showed up just an hour before boarding time.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
[QUOTE=VidaNaPraia;31042836]
Originally Posted by RafKa
). Get to SDU 1h before your flight for this reason../QUOTE]

One hour is NOT enough. I have been denied boarding in Brazil when I showed up just an hour before boarding time.
For SDU-CGH flights you can check in up to 30 mins before departure. If you have a boarding pass and hand luggage only you can get to the airport 20 mins prior to your flight and still make it.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:33 pm

For all of you who have been to Paraguay on a visit to the falls,, here is the great sambista and philosopher Bezerra da Silva singing "Muamba" (the term used for the cheap merchandise bought there to bring back into Brazil).
In the lyrics, he says he is bringing his mother-in-law to sell her in Paraguay. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyGHtC5mM4
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Muamba (lyrics)

Muamba eu tô vendendo muamba
Muamba olha quem vai querer muamba

Tô vendendo barato malandro, quem vai?
Tô levando minha sogra pra vender no Paraguai
Diz aí pra marcar
Tô vendendo barato malandro, quem vai?

Olha ai a Polícia parou o ônibus, para dar uma geral
Quando viram minha sogra o guarda até passou mau
Entregou os documentos e liberou o pessoal

Quem vai querer, quem vai querer
Se a sua sogra não presta me dá ela pra vender
Diz aí pra marcar
Se a sua sogra não presta me dá ela pra vender

Se você quer se livrar dessa capeta
É só vir me procurar, aproveita em quanto é tempo,
Amanhã vou viajar pra vender...

Muamba, eu tô vendendo muamba
Muamba, olha quem vai querer muamba

Ih, tô vendendo barato malandro, quem vai?
Diz aí pra marcar
Tô vendendo barato, quem vai?

A polícia parou o ônibus para dar uma geral
Quando viram minha sogra o guarda até passou mau
Entregou os documentos e liberou o pessoal

Se a sua sogra não presta, me dá ela pra vender
Diz aí pra marcar
Se a sua sogra não presta, me dá ela pra vender

Se você quer se livrar dessa encrequeira é só vir me
procurar
Aproveita em quanto é tempo, amanhã vou viajar pra
vender...

Muamba, eu tô vendendo muamba
Muamba, olha quem vai querer muamba

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 29, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Flying from Rio to Sao Paulo, I didn't notice at first that the 4PM flight actually went to CGH.
We have a 9:15 PM flight on Delta from GRU to JFK. Options from Rio are:
- LATAM - depart SDU 3:05 PM, arrive CGH 4:10 PM
- LATAM - depart GIG 3:55 PM, arrive GRU 5:15 PM
- Gol - depart GIG 4:45 PM, arrive GRU 5:55 PM (in same terminal as Delta, yes?)
Which flight would you take?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:49 am

All domestic flights arrive at GRU T2. All international flights currently depart out of T3. There's a fairly good chance that Gol also won't interline luggage on separate tickets, so I'd pick the earlier Latam flight into GRU. If there are any issues with your original flight you can always get the later Gol flight.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:04 am

Flying from Rio to Sao Paulo, I didn't notice at first that the 4PM flight actually went to CGH.
- Gol - depart GIG 4:45 PM, arrive GRU 5:55 PM (in same terminal as Delta, yes?)
I’m on the same boat, flying out of GRU to NY.
SDU is much easier to fly out of than GIG, but I could find any flights arriving between 5 and 6pm, only at 4pm:
LATAM 3633 SDU-GRU 2:50 PM-3:55 PM
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:13 am

You don't want to get into rush hour traffic in Sao Paulo getting out to GRU. Pick a flight that flies directly there, and one that gives you the most time before the international flight.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, my only options from SDU to GRU arrive at 12:45 PM (LATAM) to 12:55 PM (Gol), which is an 8-1/2 hour layover (way too much) or arrive at 7:00 PM (LATAM) to 7:10 PM (Azul), which is a two-hour layover, and this sounds way to risky for our international flight.
So, I guess we will take the LATAM flight departing GIG 3:55 PM, arriving GRU 5:15 PM (four-hour layover)
RafKa likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Unfortunately, my only options from SDU to GRU arrive at 12:45 PM (LATAM) to 12:55 PM (Gol), which is an 8-1/2 hour layover (way too much) or arrive at 7:00 PM (LATAM) to 7:10 PM (Azul), which is a two-hour layover, and this sounds way to risky for our international flight.
So, I guess we will take the LATAM flight departing GIG 3:55 PM, arriving GRU 5:15 PM (four-hour layover)
This is so inconvenient! I’m so pissed that all direct flights from NY to Rio are seasonal now, but I guess there’s no point in complaining to deaf ears.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

I agree with most folks here. I've been to brazil once: Rio and Sao Paulo. In general, Brazil didn't make it to my fav destinations. That said, Rio actually wasn't, especially after visiting Sao Paulo.

As OP said, he was planning to spend 2 days in Sao Paulo. I honestly a day is enough and would spend longer in Rio. I recently went to Sao Paulo and spent 2 days, I think that's more than enough. The complain I have is the air quality. Also, there are homeless everywhere. Not to mention someone tried to snatch my phone when taking a picture. I'm not suggesting Brazil is unsafe. I actually feel ok - no one tried to scam TBH. But still - be safe and cautious.

Apart from there, some landmarks are beautiful. Here are some pics:

The Theater

The City

The Cathedral
boxo likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Hello - Reviving this thread to get some advice on upcoming trip to Brazil and Argentina this spring. My wife and I are going to have 12 nights and currently I have preliminary itinerary as this:

- Arrive GRU in morning, 2 nights in São Paulo
- Fly to Rio de Janeiro, 5 nights in Rio
- Fly to Buenos Aires, 5 nights in BA
- Fly back to USA in evening from EZE

The only things set right now are the international flights to GRU and back from EZE. Is 5 nights too long in Rio and/or BA? I was potentially thinking of adding a night, or two, to see the Iguaçu Falls and eliminating a day from BA or Rio. However, not sure if that will be too much moving around?

I love big cities and all the things that come with them: food, drinks, night life, history, culture, etc. My wife loves the outdoors: hiking, nature, etc.

So, I’m trying to get a good mixture of both throughout the trip... I’m sure there are still plenty of outdoor activities we can do around those cities though? Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.