Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: Long Haul Econ with Short Haul Bus.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: Long Haul Econ with Short Haul Bus.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates; BA; flybe
Long Haul Econ with Short Haul Bus.

Folks,

Apologies if there are other posts around this topic.

I am hoping to book some reward flights soon. Problem is only Economy is available in the long haul section and only business is available in the UK connection. However, since it's DC policy to charge miles (and tax?) for the entire booking at the highest rate, I'll end up paying business class miles for a long haul economy seat.

My question is this. By doing this, does it increase my chances of a possible upgrade to business at time of checking in or should I split the booking. i.e. Business return for the connection and economy for the rest.

There will be three of us travelling so economy, although not my ideal choice, still works out at a saving and also allows us to do the MCO stop also.

Routing is,..
Outbound : GLA-LHR-YYZ-NAS
Return : MCO-YYZ-LHR-GLA

I know I may have to book two one way routes and there will be a paid fare from NAS-MCO since there appears to be no star alliance operators on that route.

GLA-LHR-GLA is only available business at the times we need.
LHR-YYZ-LHR is only available economy.
The other flights are economy.

Any help and advise appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
I don't suppose you're a Gold, are you? If so, then you *should* be able to get the bmi "business" fare for economy miles. But whether that still works when it's connected to another journey I'm not sure.

Otherwise, since the UK flights are actually marketed as "flexible economy" (with the emphasis on the "economy"), you might be able to argue with the ICC about it that you should only pay economy miles. Not sure whether you'd be likely to succeed, mind you, but it's perhaps worth try!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by RK74

There will be three of us travelling
[...]
LHR-YYZ-LHR is only available economy.
AC only release 2 x J seats per flight, IIRC - so you might have better luck looking at, say, LH (DUS-YYZ can be a good one to try for 3xJ, IME - and you might get lucky trying MCO-FRA on your return? I understand scoring premium seats on this route for >2 pax has been reported.

Otherwise, if your party doesn't mind splitting up for the TATL leg, you might get lucky with 3 J seats across 2 "adjacently-timed" AC flights LHR-YYZ (lounge options at either end aren't too shabby, IIRC).

Apologies if you've already considered this, but if you have the miles to consider J, it's worth checking all options...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.