FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   AA Gold status match to BMI Gold? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/812403-aa-gold-status-match-bmi-gold.html)

Frayed_Yak Apr 13, 2008 1:55 pm

AA Gold status match to BMI Gold?

I've seen some reports of American Airlines Gold frequent flyers getting status matched to BMI gold.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Is this the norm or the exception?

Thanks in advance.

clubman Apr 13, 2008 2:28 pm

You should have no problem.

Rambuster Apr 13, 2008 2:41 pm

unbelievable ...

lucky9876coins Apr 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Interesting, is it really not a problem? AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up, no?

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 9565535)
unbelievable ...

:confused:

RAPC Apr 13, 2008 2:46 pm

As an aside, it appears that bmi are superkeen to status match. With the exception of Air Astana (or whoever it was recently) who will match bmi status, are there other airlines who will happily status match bmi Gold?

I'm not planning on moving, just interested if bmi's generosity is reciprocated elsewhere.

sadiqhassan Apr 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Is Gold BMI's lowest status level as well?

RAPC Apr 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 9565563)
Is Gold BMI's lowest status level as well?

No - top level.

There is:

Blue
Blue Plus
Silver (*A Silver)
Gold (*A Gold)

frankvb Apr 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Status matching is purely by colour of your card ;)

So BA Silver will get you BD Silver, even though BA Silver is basically equivalent with BD Gold.

FlyingOnceMore Apr 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 9565547)
AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up ?

Correct, but I've seen BD silver given to AA Gold.

In reality it's not 25k/35k (38k actually). To get BD Gold comped you're bypassing the 57k it would take to earn from scratch, so an AA Gold / BD Gold match both in alliance status and miles required are way off.

Rambuster Apr 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 9565547)
Interesting, is it really not a problem? AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up, no?

:confused:

AA Gold is OW Nothing !
As pointed out already to gain BD*G you will need 57k status miles.

graraps Apr 13, 2008 3:41 pm

This thread got me thinking...
If they match AA Gold with BD Gold, they shouldn't have a problem matching my Aegean Lifetime Gold (which btw is a card with real benefits, namely lounge access) with BD Lifetime Gold, right? :D

Frayed_Yak Apr 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 9565604)
Correct, but I've seen BD silver given to AA Gold.

In reality it's not 25k/35k (38k actually). To get BD Gold comped you're bypassing the 57k it would take to earn from scratch, so an AA Gold / BD Gold match both in alliance status and miles required are way off.

Sounds like it's a bit inconsistent. I'm trying to plan out the rest of my year in business/personal travel, but I don't think I will get to the 57k on BMI. So I was hoping to qualify based on status matching from AA Gold, and then worry only about requalification for BD Gold.

Are there things that will bolster my case for BD Gold from AA Gold?

cstead Apr 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak (Post 9567007)
Sounds like it's a bit inconsistent. I'm trying to plan out the rest of my year in business/personal travel, but I don't think I will get to the 57k on BMI. So I was hoping to qualify based on status matching from AA Gold, and then worry only about requalification for BD Gold.

Are there things that will bolster my case for BD Gold from AA Gold?

You might be able to burn a status match with a ST carrier to and get Silver on one of them. Then, use the basis of your NW/CO/DL Silver and AA Gold to see if BD will get you something.

Also, you can simply ask for BD Silver, which then only requires 38K status miles to reach gold. Silver won't get you much on non-BD metal, but with BD you get lounge access and some other bennies. It only takes 3-4 domestic QUPs/A fares on UA or US to reach BD Gold, and even less if you find a good A fare East Coast-Hawaii (BWI-ORD-LAX-HNL r/t would be pretty fruitful, for example).

Frayed_Yak Apr 15, 2008 1:18 am

Originally Posted by cstead (Post 9567450)
You might be able to burn a status match with a ST carrier to and get Silver on one of them. Then, use the basis of your NW/CO/DL Silver and AA Gold to see if BD will get you something.

Also, you can simply ask for BD Silver, which then only requires 38K status miles to reach gold. Silver won't get you much on non-BD metal, but with BD you get lounge access and some other bennies. It only takes 3-4 domestic QUPs/A fares on UA or US to reach BD Gold, and even less if you find a good A fare East Coast-Hawaii (BWI-ORD-LAX-HNL r/t would be pretty fruitful, for example).

Yeah, the domestic A fares are a huge draw for me to requalify. I normally do a couple of these per year.

sadiqhassan Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm

To the OP: Do let us know how it goes; it would be amazing if it worked!

Cheers,