AA Gold status match to BMI Gold?

Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
AA Gold status match to BMI Gold?

I've seen some reports of American Airlines Gold frequent flyers getting status matched to BMI gold.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Is this the norm or the exception?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
You should have no problem.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
unbelievable ...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, is it really not a problem? AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up, no?

Originally Posted by Rambuster
unbelievable ...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
As an aside, it appears that bmi are superkeen to status match. With the exception of Air Astana (or whoever it was recently) who will match bmi status, are there other airlines who will happily status match bmi Gold?

I'm not planning on moving, just interested if bmi's generosity is reciprocated elsewhere.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Is Gold BMI's lowest status level as well?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Is Gold BMI's lowest status level as well?
No - top level.

There is:

Blue
Blue Plus
Silver (*A Silver)
Gold (*A Gold)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Status matching is purely by colour of your card

So BA Silver will get you BD Silver, even though BA Silver is basically equivalent with BD Gold.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up ?
Correct, but I've seen BD silver given to AA Gold.

In reality it's not 25k/35k (38k actually). To get BD Gold comped you're bypassing the 57k it would take to earn from scratch, so an AA Gold / BD Gold match both in alliance status and miles required are way off.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Interesting, is it really not a problem? AA Gold is 25K while BMI is 35K, so I would have thought they only match AA Plat and up, no?

AA Gold is OW Nothing !
As pointed out already to gain BD*G you will need 57k status miles.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread got me thinking...
If they match AA Gold with BD Gold, they shouldn't have a problem matching my Aegean Lifetime Gold (which btw is a card with real benefits, namely lounge access) with BD Lifetime Gold, right?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Correct, but I've seen BD silver given to AA Gold.

In reality it's not 25k/35k (38k actually). To get BD Gold comped you're bypassing the 57k it would take to earn from scratch, so an AA Gold / BD Gold match both in alliance status and miles required are way off.
Sounds like it's a bit inconsistent. I'm trying to plan out the rest of my year in business/personal travel, but I don't think I will get to the 57k on BMI. So I was hoping to qualify based on status matching from AA Gold, and then worry only about requalification for BD Gold.

Are there things that will bolster my case for BD Gold from AA Gold?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Sounds like it's a bit inconsistent. I'm trying to plan out the rest of my year in business/personal travel, but I don't think I will get to the 57k on BMI. So I was hoping to qualify based on status matching from AA Gold, and then worry only about requalification for BD Gold.

Are there things that will bolster my case for BD Gold from AA Gold?
You might be able to burn a status match with a ST carrier to and get Silver on one of them. Then, use the basis of your NW/CO/DL Silver and AA Gold to see if BD will get you something.

Also, you can simply ask for BD Silver, which then only requires 38K status miles to reach gold. Silver won't get you much on non-BD metal, but with BD you get lounge access and some other bennies. It only takes 3-4 domestic QUPs/A fares on UA or US to reach BD Gold, and even less if you find a good A fare East Coast-Hawaii (BWI-ORD-LAX-HNL r/t would be pretty fruitful, for example).
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cstead
You might be able to burn a status match with a ST carrier to and get Silver on one of them. Then, use the basis of your NW/CO/DL Silver and AA Gold to see if BD will get you something.

Also, you can simply ask for BD Silver, which then only requires 38K status miles to reach gold. Silver won't get you much on non-BD metal, but with BD you get lounge access and some other bennies. It only takes 3-4 domestic QUPs/A fares on UA or US to reach BD Gold, and even less if you find a good A fare East Coast-Hawaii (BWI-ORD-LAX-HNL r/t would be pretty fruitful, for example).
Yeah, the domestic A fares are a huge draw for me to requalify. I normally do a couple of these per year.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
To the OP: Do let us know how it goes; it would be amazing if it worked!

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.