Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The Baggage Master Query Thread: Awards, Mixed-Class, Multi-Carrier, Interline etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Baggage Master Query Thread: Awards, Mixed-Class, Multi-Carrier, Interline etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY plat, EB gold, LH Sen

Didn't know where to put this exactly, so started a new thread.

I am looking at a multi-city ticket on Travelocity
LHR-MAN on BD 23rd june and then NWI-EXT on BE on 27th June.
These are both as ONE ticket, though I can not make out which is is the issuing carrier. It just states 2 spearate flight numbers on one e-ticket.

My question is what is the baggage policy for BE in this scenario? Am I governed by BE rules (charging for each bag) for the NWI-EXt sector or am I governed by BMI rules (free 20kg baggage) ?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
If it really is ticketed as one ticket (not one PNR containing 2 tickets, how would you know that is not what they will issue...) the highest allowance would normally be in place. Though I wonder if that is still the case if the flights are not connecting.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY plat, EB gold, LH Sen
Originally Posted by frankvb
If it really is ticketed as one ticket (not one PNR containing 2 tickets, how would you know that is not what they will issue...) the highest allowance would normally be in place. Though I wonder if that is still the case if the flights are not connecting.
I reached the payment screen where it says it will issue an e-ticket. Do not know if it is a single ticket or a single PNR containing 2 tickets (I am not sure I understand this terminology ). I would have also thought that this can not be termed as a connecting flight for sure.

What is this thing " A single PNR containing 2 tickets" ?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by mahajanvikas
My question is what is the baggage policy for BE in this scenario? Am I governed by BE rules (charging for each bag) for the NWI-EXt sector or am I governed by BMI rules (free 20kg baggage) ?
Doesn't matter who issued the ticket nor if its issued as one ticket or not...but chances are its a BD issued ticket as BD is the first carrier.

You will only be allowed the usual 20kg on the BD flight but you would have to PAY for your baggage allowance when you fly with BE as they do not have a policy of having any form of free allowances.

Even if you are to connect from a flight with a checked in bag and you connect onto a BE flight immediately, you will be asked to pay for the baggage fee at the connecting desk counter.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahajanvikas
What is this thing " A single PNR containing 2 tickets" ?
It basically means that you will get one PNR - i.e. one record with a 6-alphanumerical code which e.g. you can use in checkmytrip.com to access your booking. However within that one record, you could have 2 ticket numbers. That means that you have actually bought 2 tickets (possibly from 2 different airlines) which are both stored under the same PNR. As far as the airline is concerned, the fact that those 2 tickets are stored under the same PNR is irrelevant - for them it is no different from you having 2 completely separate tickets each with its own PNR. The only difference (AFAIK) is that if you check in a bag they will see that you are connecting to another flight (but that isn't relevant in this specific case).
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:19 pm

Will bmi honor United's baggage allowance on my transatlantic flight?

Hi all!

Wondering if you could help me out here...

I am wanting to book a flight through atiflights.com coming up in a week or so.

The intinerary I'm looking at is this: STL - ORD on United
ORD - LHR on bmi
LHR - GLA on bmi

From what I can tell by looking at United's website, their baggage allowance will carry over to my bmi flights and my baggage will be checked all the way through from STL to GLA. I called to confirm this with them and they said that's correct. However, I also called bmi and they said this information was NOT correct. (Honestly, I could not understand any of the people I spoke with at bmi...I felt like I'd been transferred to one of those call centers in who knows where...I don't know?)

Who's right in this? Any idea? Help?!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk lizzyteacher

I assume this is all on a single ticket.

When you check in at STL with United they will check your bags through to GLA. Thus United baggage allowance applies.

On the return when you check in at GLA they will check your bags through to STL. Thus bmi baggage allowance applies.

The baggage allowance for this should be 2 pieces per person (or 3 if flying business class), but each airline may have it's own maximum weight per bag limit. As far as I know, bmi's maximum weight per piece is 32kg but United's is 23kg for non-Star gold status passengers flying economy (or 32kg otherwise).

If you have separate tickets please advise which flights are on which tickets because this affects the answer.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:34 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

On the return when you check in at GLA they will check your bags through to STL. Thus bmi baggage allowance applies.
I second this: Welcome to Flyer Talk lizzyteacher

Minor correction, in line with BA, bmi continue to honour the connecting carriers luggage allowance if greater.

For LHR-GLA alone the allowance would be 20kg in Y and 30kg in C, however UA are more generous and offer 2 x 23kg bags in Y and 2 x 32kg bags in C or F.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lizzyteacher
The intinerary I'm looking at is this: STL - ORD on United
ORD - LHR on bmi
LHR - GLA on bmi
Welcome to FT, lizzyteacher!

A minor point but the ORD-LHR leg must be a bmi/UA code share on UA metal.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
I second this: Welcome to Flyer Talk lizzyteacher

Minor correction, in line with BA, bmi continue to honour the connecting carriers luggage allowance if greater.

For LHR-GLA alone the allowance would be 20kg in Y and 30kg in C, however UA are more generous and offer 2 x 23kg bags in Y and 2 x 32kg bags in C or F.
One of my relatives had a different experience. When flying C from SFO-GLA via LHR on UA and BD there was no problem with the UA allowance. However, on return, check-in agent at GLA claimed that BD lower allowance applied and wanted to charge extra. Despite her initial recalcitrance flattery eventually worked and she let it go
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:58 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
The BD policy is listed on their website for the travel trade at: http://www.flybmi.com/trade/en-gb/tr...ge-advice.aspx

Interline allowance

If a passenger is travelling on a bmi shorthaul interline fare and then onto a different carrier on the same ticket, bmi will honour the luggage allowance of the onward carrier.

I always carry a printout of this when connecting, shuts most check-in staff up.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Baggage allowance

I have a question about baggage allowance on *A flights. I have a LHR-BEY (BD) ; BEY-FRA-LHR (LH booked with DC miles) redemption booking and I'm a BD Silver. Us silvers get the extra 20kg of hold baggage, at least on BD flights. Now as the ticket is BD issued with DC miles and ticket number starts with 236, should I get the extra 20kgs or no?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Yes to the segment on BD metal, no to the LH segments.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Thanks...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
DC award baggage question

We have a return business redemption zone 1-3. one leg is in economy LAX-PVR (due to no C availability and F no longer an option) I have just read Uniteds baggage policy and noticed the baggage charges. Will we be charged to check our suitcases.

Regards

cal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.